PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another troll meat article: Steve Belichick best DC?

Talk about a conversation starter. Looking forward to seeing where this thread goes.

Buddy Ryan was the premier defensive mind in football back in the 80’s before BB came along… both his sons became very good defensive coordinators.

Mike Shanahan was one of the best offensive minds and eventually head coaches in football. Kyle Shanahan is now…

Education and experience molds young minds into seasoned professionals and nobody got a better education than these guys… regardless of whether it was nepotism that got their foot in the door.

the interesting thing here is whether or not Steve even IS the DC. I know he calls the defensive signals, but that is a LOT different than coordinating the actual defense. I SUSPECT that Mayo does the coordination along with Steve and the other defensive coaches while Steve calls the signals.

Let me get the trolling started. "He's a nepo baby!!!" /s

Isn’t it all a product of Mr Bill Belichick amazing Defensive and special teams coach above average offensive mind and below average talent evaluator.

This was actually talked about on Fitzy & Harts podcast 3 wks-lil over a month ago? 6 rings & football things. Solid but not spectacular podcast. Hart is one of those guys that I enjoy listening to that also at times can really get on my last ****ing nerve. Fitzy is that crazy ass friend who just absolutely loves his team. I enjoy it. Sorry, got sidetracked. They interviewed one of the PFF guys and I thought it was a really good listen. PFF either gets love or gets **** on. What was interesting is the guy they interviewed said that even though the Pats D ranked #1 in their metrics, he wouldn’t rate them number one if he had to just rank the Defenses on his own. He basically said they are one of the top D’s in the league but not at that very top tier yet. He loves what they did in the draft and feels like the defense has a good chance to take that next jump. It was a fair and honest assessment and I appreciated how he came out and essentially said their product isn’t perfect and that the sport is incredibly complicated and the numbers and rankings they come up with don’t tell the whole story.

Let's hope with Gonzalez, White, and Mapu added, a 2nd year for Peppers, Jack and Marcus Jones, Uche ascending, and with Barmore having a good year, the D is even better this year. I am still holding out hope that Roberts, Mitchell, Perkins, Wilson or Jennings can break through. Talent always make the D coordinator look better :whistle:

Like to see Bolden stick.
Super athlete and Deion loves the kid.
Myles Bryant is like the little engine that couldn’t.
You can tell they trust him to not make mental mistakes and to make heady decisions.
However he looks outmatched when In coverage.
I am hoping for someone to beat him out.
No offense to him or anyone who cares about him but I’ve seen him be 2 seconds late to the spot too many times.

Their pass defense has to be A LOT better in 2023. 27th in TD passes against is a really bad stat and the truth is many of their favorable defensive stats come from shutting down rubbish (this is going back a few seasons now).

Their biggest problem is they CANNOT stop Josh Allen at all. 18 TDs and 1 INT in the last 6 matchups. He toys with the Belichicks like Brady terrorized the Bills for two decades. Pretty much Allen has become an impenetrable obstacle in the division for the Patriots. Very likely won't change in 2023 and the Patriots don't have the requisite quarterback to keep pace either.

Thing is that we'll never know how good a DC Steve is until he can show it out from under Bill. Interesting that he's never interviewed for a coordinator position on another team.

Their pass defense has to be A LOT better in 2023. 27th in TD passes against is a really bad stat and the truth is many of their favorable defensive stats come from shutting down rubbish (this is going back a few seasons now).

Their biggest problem is they CANNOT stop Josh Allen at all. 18 TDs and 1 INT in the last 6 matchups. He toys with the Belichicks like Brady terrorized the Bills for two decades. Pretty much Allen has become an impenetrable obstacle in the division for the Patriots. Very likely won't change in 2023 and the Patriots don't have the requisite quarterback to keep pace either.

I feel guys like Mapu were drafted specifically to help stop the Bills/Allen

Thing is that we'll never know how good a DC Steve is until he can show it out from under Bill. Interesting that he's never interviewed for a coordinator position on another team.
He's in a tough spot. Yes he's only here bc of his father. No serious person denies that. Thst said he's good enough to work in football. As much pull as Bill has. Family members get laughed out the room everyday. Again as much pull as Bill has he's not choosing his son > what Kraft wants. And if you do you only get to pull that card once or twice before its around the league and you lose respect.

The problem Steve has is he can't bomb. It has to be the perfect spot. Talent, core group, some security to build something that resembles what he wants. If he bombs he won't come back like Josh or even Matt back here. It'll be "he was only good bc of Bill, he doesn't belong etc" He needs the right situation more than most.

NFL nepotism is a double edged sword, if they suck then the Pats' are stuck with them until Bill leaves, but if they're good they'll stay as untouchable assets that other teams can't poach..until Bill leaves.

I wasn't a fan of it when he first brought them on, but I've come around as they've seemingly coached well and have taken advantage of the huge opportunity and privilege to learn from their dad and coach beside him.

306004805_524586463001614_8815868040941882265_n.jpg

Steve has been in his current position since 2020 and calls the defensive plays for New England. Shutting down even the most high-powered offenses, and neutralizing every team's best weapon, apparently runs in the genes.
That's an interesting statement... considering it's completely false. As I mentioned, in the last 6 matchups, Allen has 18 TDs and 1 INTs (and a 5-1 record). Diggs in those 6 games averages 6-90-1 (and that's including the wind storm game and doing relatively nothing in the 47-17 playoff blowout). Buffalo's offense ranked 2nd, 3rd and 2nd respectively since 2020... so "shutting down even..." oh wait forget that.

Here are the quarterbacks who the Belichicks have beaten since 2020:

Ryan Fitzpatrick
Derek Carr
Joe Flacco
Lamar Jackson
Kyler Murray
Justin Herbert
Sam Darnold

Zach Wilson
Davis Mills
Zach Wilson/Mike White
Justin Herbert
Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield/Case Keenum
Matt Ryan/Josh Rosen
Ryan Tannehill
Josh Allen (wind storm)
Trevor Lawrence (R)

Mitchell Trubisky
Jared Goff
Jacoby Brissett
Zach Wilson
Sam Ehlinger
Zach Wilson
Colt McCoy
Skylar Thompson/Teddy Bridgewater

It only gets worse the further down you go. In total 25 wins, and of the 25 starting quarterbacks (with some duplication), only 7 will be starters in 2023. And 24% of those 25 wins came against Zach Wilson and Sam Darnold.

Honestly I don't think there's a single example of shutting down one of the most high-powered offenses in the NFL. The wind storm game doesn't count. Lawrence looks legit now but when they beat him in 2021 he was in the midst of a dreadful rookie season (and the Jaguars had the 32nd ranked offense). They shutout Herbert in his rookie season but that was a mediocre Chargers offense in 2020. They did beat a more legit Chargers offense in 2021 but it was hardly a "shutdown." 75% of the forum thinks Lamar is a horrible quarterback, but I think he's legit (as we saw last season at Gillette), but we didn't shut him down either in that 2020 win.

I mean just look at that list of rubbish, last season especially. You've really got to be pushing a narrative hard to consider this list and make a statement like "shutting down even the most high-powered offenses."

First and foremost.....this is BBs defense. He defines the game plan and what he wants done.

Chris Griffin and Mayo come up with the calls, adjustments, packages and personnel in said packages/calls.

BB will/does overrule them when he sees fit.

I have nothing against Chris Griffin but to say he is the best DC is a bit misplaced as the best DC is the elder Belichick

Buddy Ryan was the premier defensive mind in football back in the 80’s before BB came along… both his sons became very good defensive coordinators.

Mike Shanahan was one of the best offensive minds and eventually head coaches in football. Kyle Shanahan is now…

Education and experience molds young minds into seasoned professionals and nobody got a better education than these guys… regardless of whether it was nepotism that got their foot in the door.
Another example. Son of the coach who literally wrote the book on scouting, started learning at his father’s knee when he was 8, got into the NFL working for a friend of his dad. Now he’s the GOAT NFL HC passing the torch to his sons and some people give him heat about nepotism…

Some in the media and former Pats players have said the defense needs to play better against competent QB and offenses, but the Offense needs to show up as well.

Going by many posters metric to define a defense, the 49ers had the best defense allowing the least amount of points per game. To back that up, they also gave up the least amount of total yards, 2nd in rushing yards by less than a yard and have a ferocious pass rush. However, they had a meltdown in the NFCCG after Purdy got injured.

Philadelphia had the league's best pass defense, yet got torched by KC with only Kelce to worry about.

Buffalo Bills have had "high ranked" defenses for the last couple years, but can't stop a team in the playoffs.

Especially in today's game, you can't expect any defense to shutdown or slowdown offenses in today's game on a weekly basis. Even prior to the rule changes, there were games during the early Bill years where the defense couldn't stop the offense and needed the offense to step up. Only difference now is that it's seems relentless in facing teams that can hang 30+ on their opponent.

Moral of the story, if your offense can't score, the defense will eventually implode.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back