Welcome to PatsFans.com

Another "Stellar" Piece by Mike Freeman at CBSSportsline

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rob0729, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob0729

    Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2006
    Messages:
    30,592
    Likes Received:
    464
    Ratings:
    +1,335 / 13 / -5

    Pats Showing Heart But Playoffs All But Dead - CBSSports.com

    What a convoluted and slanted way to say that if the Pats win and either the Dolphins or Ravens lose, the Pats get into the playoffs. He is making it sound like all these different scenarios have to fall into place for the Pats to get in. I know Freeman isn't all that bright based on all his moronic columns over the years, but why make it sound like some crazy, insurmountable formula is needed for the Pats to get in? Shotty writing.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. PatsFan2

    PatsFan2 Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    Messages:
    2,654
    Likes Received:
    27
    Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -4

    #87 Jersey

    And he's not to be confused with a Math genius either because if the Pats take care of business in Buffalo they have 50/50 chance of getting in. Which is as good as any if you ask me. I don't know where he gets his 20% unless he's thinking the Pats have no chance of defeating Buffalo. Kevin Faulk should show Mike Freeman his receiving numbers against the Bills over the years.:eek:
  3. stinkypete

    stinkypete Rookie

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2004
    Messages:
    2,275
    Likes Received:
    17
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -1

    #24 Jersey

    The Jets have looked like crap lately, but Miami almost got beat by the Chefs, and they didn't look good against San Francisco last week. Plus, the Jets are still alive, albiet by a slim margin. I don't see a Miami win as a forgone conclusion.
  4. xmarkd400x

    xmarkd400x Rookie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,746
    Likes Received:
    6
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

    It depends on how you look at the numbers. If you view every game as a 50% chance of winning, then it breaks down like this:

    Chance of Ravens loss (50%) or Dolphins loss (50%) = 75%. (This is derived from the converse of the chance they both win. The chance of them both winning is 25%, or 50% * 50% [1/2 * 1/2]).

    So, Pats chance of playoffs would be 50% * 75%, or 37.5%.

    If you assume the Pats win, then their chances of being in the playoffs are 75%.

    ===================================================
    For your own maths:

    Probability of Ravens win = R
    Probablility of Dolphins win = D
    Probability of Pats win = P
    (for this formula, .5 = 50% chance of winning)

    Pats chance of playoffs = P * [1 - (R * D)]
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  5. j00fek

    j00fek Banned

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    Messages:
    318
    Likes Received:
    1
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

    all you have to thinkis we win and its still 50/50...thats it 50/50
  6. PatsFan2

    PatsFan2 Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    Messages:
    2,654
    Likes Received:
    27
    Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -4

    #87 Jersey


    Alright Einstein i thought this was football thread.:rolleyes:;):D
  7. Lloyd_Christmas

    Lloyd_Christmas I can delete my own crap! PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,420
    Likes Received:
    5
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

    Ok, but what if we predict our chance of winning are 70%, the Jets chance of winning are 45%, and the Jax chance of winning at 25%?

    Now we have a 51.25% chance that one of Bal or Mia will lose their game (inverse of the % chance of both winning - .65*.75=48.75%). Combined with our 70% chance of winning vs Buf, we are left with a 35.88% chance of make the playoffs, which is pretty close to xmarkd400x's original outcome.
  8. DaBruinz

    DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2005
    Messages:
    24,309
    Likes Received:
    196
    Ratings:
    +364 / 24 / -48

    #50 Jersey

    If Miami wins and the Ravens lose, the Pats would be in via the Wild Card, yes?
  9. Rob0729

    Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2006
    Messages:
    30,592
    Likes Received:
    464
    Ratings:
    +1,335 / 13 / -5

    And who said that reading message boards wasn't educational? I haven't seen this many probabilty formulas since Statistics in grad school.
  10. 363839

    363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2005
    Messages:
    3,500
    Likes Received:
    2
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

    Assuming the Pats beat Buffalo then, yes.
  11. billdog3484

    billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    Messages:
    2,166
    Likes Received:
    8
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

    i dont know how he came up with a 20 percent chance. if we win, which is likely, considering we have an amazing track record against buffalo, we need 1 of 2 pretty decent teams to win. the jets, while struggling lately, play at home in the cold versus the dolphins. take away the phins win yesterday against a pathetic chiefs team and their record in the cold is abyssmal. or, the jaguars can pull of an upset. clearly, they are not a great team, but they are not a terrible team. i am going to keep the faith and believe we make it
  12. NovaScotiaPatsFan

    NovaScotiaPatsFan Rookie

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2004
    Messages:
    2,051
    Likes Received:
    9
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

    5. If the Pats win, the Dolphins and Ravens both lose but Roger Goodell gets a reach around from Brett Favre The Patriots are out.
    6. If the Pats win, the Dolphins lose, and the NFL reverses one of the Pats previous wins. The Patriots are out.
    7. If the Pats win, the Dolphins win and the Ravens lose but a giant comet strikes Earth annihilating all life as we know it the Patriots are in but wouldn't live to play.
    8. If anyone realizes what a horrible writer I am the Patriots are in and I'm out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

unset ($sidebar_block_show); ?>