PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andrew Luck to stay at Stanford for his junior season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luck reportedly staying in school!

This decision could cost him millions! If I were him I really dunno if I -have- to have that architecture degree finished on time. The NFL is desperate for QBs and he would make a lot of cash even if he turns into a bust like Jamarcus Russell. And if things go wrong for him, he could end up like Jake Locker this year.

Stanford rejoice: Andrew Luck turns down more money than you'll ever see to stay in school - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports

Edit: Didn't see the other thread. Please merge.

Last edited:
Re: What the LUCK!

I bet he ends up in the NFC West next year, probably Arizona

The one interview with this kid left me thinking he was one of the smartest and emotionally mature 20 year old's I'd ever heard speak. Good for him, doing what he wants with his life. Maybe he's just living his values.

Dumbest decision ever

If a rookie cap comes into play or he gets hurt he has blown a ridiculous opporunity

I don't think it's that dumb. I think he feels he will develop with another year, especially under Harbaugh if he stays. Plus, maybe he just likes being in College at Stanford and wants to be there another year and have some fun. I can understand that. The scrutiny and pressure of being a number one overall pick are pretty great; maybe he just wants to put that off as well. The money will still be there.

I think the cap would have applied anyway, but am open to being corrected on that.

The injury risk is real, so this is a time when "it is what it is" is the only meaningful comment.

Last edited:

The one interview with this kid left me thinking he was one of the smartest and emotionally mature 20 year old's I'd ever heard speak. Good for him, doing what he wants with his life. Maybe he's just living his values.

Yeah. I think he has his head screwed on right. And he's probably having fun as well. The life of a Stanford QB in Palo Alto with a million dollar future can't be all that bad, "social life" wise (a polite way of saying he has no trouble getting laid and doesn't have to worry about the big city media writing about his dates).

Also means one less player to be pushed down the board to New England. :(

Patriots have complete control of the first 3 rounds. If Belichick has targeted a player he wants, he has more than enough ammunition to move up and get that player. I wouldn't worry about who's left for us because BB knows what he wants.

We all saw what he did in the 1st round last year, dancing with the pick they had. BB wanted McCourty all along and knew he could manipulate the board to his liking.

Smart move. He's done the homework and has seen the reasons why rushing to join the NFL on a team, any team, isn't the best idea.

Exhibit A:
David Carr, Houston Texans - Talented, but we'll never know how good he could have been because he was playing behind a horrible O-Line.

You think teams draft on ESPN hype? NFL scouts>McShay and Kiper Jr.

Every year just about every player the Bengals draft it the next highest on ESPN's Big Board. Check it out. It's hysterical. Of course, they are too cheap to pay for a scouting department.

I wouldn't want to go to Carolina. Jerry Richardson is a cheap owner who wants to find the best value for the money, not the best coaches/players. If I were him I would pull an Eli and force my way from one team to another.

First time I've ever seen people put a person down for wanting to finish his education and graduate. The NFL money will always be there, especially if he's as good as advertised.

First time I've ever seen people put a person down for wanting to finish his education and graduate. The NFL money will always be there, especially if he's as good as advertised.

It might not be. He's risking a lot of money by going back to college. Probably more money than that architectural degree will ever earn in a lifetime. And even if he is as good as advertised and still gets picked #1, there will very likely be a rookie cap in place by then. So he's probably losing out on $20 million in bonus money/salary. I think he needs to consult a financial advisor. He can always get the big contract now and finish up school in the offseason. Money for tuition won't be a problem then.

Last edited:

It might not be. He's risking a lot of money by going back to college. Probably more money than that architectural degree will ever earn in a lifetime. And even if he is as good as advertised and still gets picked #1, there will very likely be a rookie cap in place by then. So he's probably losing out on $20 million in bonus money/salary. I think he needs to consult a financial advisor. He can always get the big contract now and finish up school in the offseason. Money for tuition won't be a problem then.
That depends what value you place on money. Money will never be able to buy a life time of memories for Luck graduating as a senior.

I'm all in favor of the rookie pay scale but I'm not going to hang on a guy for choosing education over the bright lights. He'll make his money.

Last edited:

Luck is as good a QB prospect as anyone since Peyton Manning. He'll still be the consensus number one in 2012.

IMO, Carolina should stick with Clausen now, and bring in a Fitzpatrick type to push him.

Luck is probably going to wind up on a team in even worse shape than Carolina.

Andrew Luck skipping NFL draft, will return to Stanford Cardinal - ESPN

Sucks for us. Pushes one less guy down. I commend him for staying in school, BUT at the same time, i hope he stays healthy next year!

100% disagree with your synopsis about it sucking for the Pats.. I think that there are still plenty of teams ahead of the Pats who need QBs it doesn't matter if Luck is there or not.

Buffalo, Miami, San Fran, Minnesota, Arizona, Washington, and possilby Carolina and Dallas. There definitely aren't that many 1st round QBs, but it could also lead to someone reaching for a QB who isn't necessarily a top tier guy.

I think that Luck staying at Stanford means that Harbaugh is also staying..

I said it about Bradford and I appear to be wrong, though there's still time.

From what I've heard Bradford is turning into a film junkie, living close to the practice facilities and not hitting the night life in St. Louis.. ( as if there was any). Considering his biggest purchase was a pool table, maybe football is #1 with him....

I think that Luck staying at Stanford means that Harbaugh is also staying..

If that's so, the only one who comes out smelling lousy is Jeff Ireland for letting Sparano dangle while he tried to hire his replacement, unsuccessfully....
Then again, what does is say for Harbaugh that he played along interviewing while a team STILL has a coach...?

Dumbest decision ever

If a rookie cap comes into play or he gets hurt he has blown a ridiculous opporunity

Actually, it's a very reasonable decision. It only sounds dumb to those who overvalue money.

I wonder if Goodell had anything to do with Luck's decision, just to stick it to New England.

I wouldn't put it past him :eek::bricks: LOL

It worked out very well for Tom Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft