PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andrew Luck to stay at Stanford for his junior season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he wants to play in a larger market. It might be because Richardson can't spend as much on coaching, scouting and free agency. Their own guy Peppers turned them down for greener pastures. They don't even have a head coach. That's still a lot of money to turn down.

Re: What the LUCK!

Smart move. He's done the homework and has seen the reasons why rushing to join the NFL on a team, any team, isn't the best idea.

Exhibit A:
David Carr, Houston Texans - Talented, but we'll never know how good he could have been because he was playing behind a horrible O-Line.

True, very true. But I still can't decide if he's the smartest guy in the world or the dumbest guy in the world.

If he wants to be one of the best of all time, I understand what he did.

Then again, $50 million for sucking is okay too... :singing:

Carr still made over $35 million from the Texans, though only $10.9 M was guaranteed money. They just kept paying him to suck.

I actually don't think Carolina is that bad. Good left tackle in Jordan Gross, promising right tackle in Jeff Otah, new incoming head coach that would have picked him, good running backs, #1 WR in Steve Smith, middle-of-the-pack D...I mean, that's a better situation than Matthew Stafford or Sam Bradford got.

Smart move. He's done the homework and has seen the reasons why rushing to join the NFL on a team, any team, isn't the best idea.

Exhibit A:
David Carr, Houston Texans - Talented, but we'll never know how good he could have been because he was playing behind a horrible O-Line.

I never really bought into the whole giving a QB time to grow. You either have it or you don't.

As far as Luck, he is making a terrible financial decision. This will most likely be the last year without a rookie cap and he could be the highest paid rookie ever this year and in the future. Maybe he doesn't want to play for Carolina? Well he'll just end up playing for the worst team in football next year instead.

Luck probably realizes what everyone but the mediots who keep repeating the misperception that the rookie cap won't go into effect until 2012 realizes. It will go into effect in 2011...

This CBA ends in March, although it provides for a 2011 draft to be held. There will be no rules (or signing of rookies or FA or lots of things...) until there is a new CBA which will include the rookie cap or until the union decertifies to avoid a lockout in which case the owners will make the rules based on their last best offer to the union before it decertified. The owners have already proposed the rookie cap (and it's not an issue the union is particularly interested in arguing against since veteran players are overwhelmingly in favor of it since at least half of the saved monies will funnel to them).

The one thing Luck is doing is postponing the time it will take him to qualify for a more lucrative second (veteran) contract. The most recent owners proposal called for 5 years of slotted service for top rookies. And during that time the top picks would make between $15-20M depending on performance and position as opposed to the $40-70M they could potentially make under the old unslotted system.

I never really bought into the whole giving a QB time to grow. You either have it or you don't.

I'm fine with that too. Carr's issue wasn't needing time to grow, it was needing time to throw. Houston drafted him and literally fed him to the wolves. You're not going to do much of anything in the NFL, regardless of who you are, when you have 1.4 seconds to get rid of the ball.

Well he'll just end up playing for the worst team in football next year instead.

Even Detroit can climb out of the cellar. But Detroit's been in position to do that for a while. Carolina's suckitude is just starting I'm afraid.

I think Carolina is one of those teams that can turn around quickly, for one thing, they have 2 and you can even say 3 pretty good RBs. The defense is not that far off, the WRs is an area of concern. At any rate is doesn't take long to turn a team around in the NFL, just takes some good drafting, a couple of good free agent signings, and get a good coach.

I think Carolina is one of those teams that can turn around quickly, for one thing, they have 2 and you can even say 3 pretty good RBs. The defense is not that far off, the WRs is an area of concern. At any rate is doesn't take long to turn a team around in the NFL, just takes some good drafting, a couple of good free agent signings, and get a good coach.

Which is why it makes no sense that Richardson held on to a lame duck $6M HC beyond all reason and a heartattack QB who made it impossible to capitalize on the other talent they already had plugged in. Cowher supposedly coveted this job a couple of years ago and by dragging their feet they seem to have lost his interest while the mess just festered and got worse.

Not a very bright move IMO.

That's one less year he'll have as a pro in his career, one less year he'll be getting paid.

PLUS, chances are, even if the NFLPA and the owners do agree on a CBA and avoid a lockout this year, a rookie scale will probably be only in effect the draft after next, so he could get paid big money this year if he comes out. However, if they do go into a lockout, the rookie scale will definitely be in effect when they come back.

The difference in the two contracts will be HUGE! Bradford got a guaranteed $50 million and if Luck were to come out, he'd be above that figure. He's contract with a rookie scale might be only $10 guaranteed. He'll lose $40 million!

This guy might be going to Stanford, but he's not too bright.

Losing $40 million just so you can hang out with your buddies in college is an EPIC FAIL.

Luck probably realizes what everyone but the mediots who keep repeating the misperception that the rookie cap won't go into effect until 2012 realizes. It will go into effect in 2011...

No, it probably won't.

There would be a major problem if the NFL imposes a rookie cap after the deadline for declaring.

He likes being at Stanford, taking classes, getting laid by people who are not tramps that want your money. It's a good life to have.

Life is short. If you get a spend one more idyllic year doing something you enjoy then do it. I've been out of school for 20 years. If someone said I could go back for one year, I would do it instantly!

This kid is going to make a huge sum of money regardless.

The one interview with this kid left me thinking he was one of the smartest and emotionally mature 20 year old's I'd ever heard speak. Good for him, doing what he wants with his life. Maybe he's just living his values.
I think the rook salaries are a financial boon for QBs, but probably ruins a lot of careers. You just can't sit that much money on the bench too long. Better to take less money to sit on the bench, work out in the weight room, and study in the film room so that the player is ready to succeed.

Maybe he thinks this route will lead to a more fulfilling career and that the money is/will be enough.

No, it probably won't.

There would be a major problem if the NFL imposes a rookie cap after the deadline for declaring.

Why? Players were advised to come out early last year to avoid being part of the first class facing a rookie wage scale. This class is declaring knowing full well there may be a work stoppage and many other changes due to the fact that the CBA to which they are not a party expires in March. If the league experiences a lockout they will not get any contract while remaining the property (for NFL purposes) of the team that drafts them...

Owners have already submitted their proposal to the NFLPA. Something close to it will either be included in the new CBA effective immediately or it will be part of the interim workplace rules the NFL continues to operate under should the union decertify and the games go on pending court rulings or a compromise that eventually avoids them. Just like there will be a return to the salary cap/floor.

First time I've ever seen people put a person down for wanting to finish his education and graduate. The NFL money will always be there, especially if he's as good as advertised.

You obviously have missed all the negative comments posted to this board over Ty Warren's decision to spend last offseason away from Foxboro finishing his degree.

Anyways, good for Luck. Stanford football is a sure thing next year, the NFL isn't with a lockout looming. You only get so many football seasons, especially at the college level.

IF he doesn't regress or get injured next year, this could be looked at as another great thing about this young man. He stuck to his values, finished his degree and possibly gave up a lot of money to do that. He could still end up the #1 pick next year if all goes well. I'll give it to him, him and i may come from different places financially, but i dont know if i could/would have taken the same risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes