PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andrew Luck to stay at Stanford for his junior season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What the LUCK!

It's probably good for him from the viewpoint of preparing for the NFL, but it is questionable considering the likelihood of a cap next year.

The Pats will trade a pick to a lousy team, get the #1 pick next year, and then trade that for a bonanza.

Word is that Harbaugh is gonna take the dolphins job.Now his decision even looks more weird.

Maybe Andrew Luck really doesn't want to play for Carolina.

Doubt they will be much better next season :) So never know, might end up there next year ;)

This doesn't make any sense so I'm not buying this until the deadline has passed. He is returning to school even though:

a) The coaching staff will likely be turned over
b) Both of his top receivers are graduating
c) His fullback and TE (one of the top 2 anyway) are graduating
d) 3/5 of his OL is graduating

7 new starters implementing a new offense from a new coaching staff. That means the Stanford offense is likely facing a transition year. Not optimal.

He is only 21 so maybe he isn't ready to be a professional yet. Otherwise from a professional standpoint, this decision makes no sense at all. Maybe he is trying to sway Harbaugh to stay at Stanford. If Harbaugh jumps to the pros, I would think Luck would re-evaluate his situation.

Also means one less player to be pushed down the board to New England. :(
I wonder if Goodell had anything to do with Luck's decision, just to stick it to New England.

They guy must be having a LOT of fun in school, both in the classroom and outside it.

When I was a lot later in my 20s than he was, I was dismissive of life-altering amounts of money, figuring they'd always be there later. And you know what? Passing them up are NOT that big a regret.

I wonder if Goodell had anything to do with Luck's decision, just to stick it to New England.

There might be merit to that argument if the Pats had, say, #7 than #17.

Dumbest decision ever

If a rookie cap comes into play or he gets hurt he has blown a ridiculous opporunity

This. And it's not "If" a cap comes into play. It's "When" a cap comes into play and if it will be just a cap or a slot system. I don't know what that cap will be but a lot of estimates say that he could lose out on as much as $55-60 million and easily $40 million.

His family isn't hurting for money, though and he really does want to get his degree. And yes, as someone said he may want nothing to do with Carolina next year where there is already a rookie QB and no head coach.

Naaaahhh...just wait until ESPN has completed their full dose of hype for the next guy. Every year it's a quarterback who is in a completely different class than everyone else. Three months ago, Luck was a mid-first to early-second round pick and Locker was the best prospect since John Elway. In mid-November, it was Mallett. By April, it will be either Newton, Gabbert, or some late bloomer like Cutler or Flacco, who suddenly cannot possibly be passed on.

Yeah that was going to happen anyway but Luck was still a sure 1st round pick ahead of the Pats. Someone still may get the other good QBs in the top 16.

It worked out well for Jake Locker and Matt Leinhart.

It didn't help them but Bradford went back, and got hurt in the season opener and still went #1 the next year.

It is definately a big risk though, which is the point I'm assuming you're making.

Last edited:

Oh, please, why would Goodell make any decision if the underlying reason wasn't to hurt the Pats?

What a dumbass. I hope the Raiders get the #1 pick next year.

I have to say I've been very suspicious of guys who stay in school even though they're guaranteed to be high 1st rounders. Going from the BB/Pioli mantra of "football being important", it seems these guys don't consider football quite that important. That's a major red flag and I think this will come out later in their careers when they are not willing to put in the hard work to stay on top.

I said it about Leinhart and I was right.
I said it about Bradford and I appear to be wrong, though there's still time.
I said it about Locker - time will tell with him. But it doesn't look good for him.
And now I'm saying it about Luck.

Oh, please, why would Goodell make any decision if the underlying reason wasn't to hurt the Pats?

You're arguing that Goodell counseled Luck to stay in school with the primary motivation being that it would mean that one more player the Patriots might be interested in at #17 is staying in school?

That really doesn't pass the smell test to me, no matter how much of an a** Goodell might be.

Nope. Still wouldn't be any merit to such absurdity.

I don't blame him. Carolina hasn't hit rock bottom yet, at least Stafford and Bradford were joining crappy teams on the way up. I just don't see that the Panthers.

i say it's a dumb move. Luck is pretty much a guaranteed #1 pick. Who know what will happen next year. Injuries, someone else jumping ahead of him as the clear cut #1... Unless he just doesn't like carolina, with a rookie wage scale, he will be risking a lot with little to gain.

Looks like he's willing to risk it in order to not wind up on Carolina. Good for him

For the signing bonus a #1 pick gets, he could hire all his Stanford professors and the entire female freshman class to come to Carolina with him.

Whether there is a different cap system overall makes a lot less difference than if he ends up #3 or #5 next year, rather than #1 this year. However, he's still likely looking at the difference of $100mm to, say, $60mm. So who friggin cares? The low end of that range sounds pretty attractive. Even if his left foot falls off, someone would give him the rookie min and he'll be the highest-paid member of his graduating class.

Similar to the Cliff Lee decision, at some point the marginal value of the money beyond an absurd number is pretty low. Make your decisions based on lifestyle. He might have 15 or 20 years in the NFL; he's only got a short window at Stanford. Good for him.

Dumbest decision ever

If a rookie cap comes into play or he gets hurt he has blown a ridiculous opporunity

If he's smart, he and his family have some insurance policy to protect him in case of a career ending injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes