PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andre Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bring Back Antowain!

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
The more I found out and watch about this guy, the more and more I like him.

He is a big, powerful back with a compact frame. Churns his legs to pick up extra yards. Not the most elusive, but is nimble enough to make the ocassional defender miss in the open field. Decisive runner, although he tends to run through the hole a little high. Very good initial pop on his blocks, has the ability to stand linebackers up. Also has natural hands catching the ball. His biggest knack is probably his health, as he seems to have had an issue with his left foot the last couple of years.

Still, I really like this guy, and I think he possesses the tools to be a feature back in the NFL. He also shows the versatility that Belichick likes in his backs, as he can catch and block.

I would be thrilled if the Patriots took him with the 58th pick.

What does everybody else think of him?

I think #58 is a little too high IMO but I would strongly consider him at #89 or #97.

I think #58 is a little too high IMO but I would strongly consider him at #89 or #97.

He will be gone before #89. Overall he is ranked 54 in this draft! so getting him at 58 would be a value!

58 would be a mistake. he was so unproductive in college.

At #58, I want another guy, because if I'm even thinking of Brown at #58 then I'd rather be sure about my pick and go after the better Brown at #34.

58 would be a mistake. he was so unproductive in college.

At #58, I want another guy, because if I'm even thinking of Brown at #58 then I'd rather be sure about my pick and go after the better Brown at #34.

Actually, you're incorrect. Andre Brown was extremely productive in college, averaging just about 5 yards per carry on his career, he just never got that many touches (career high in carries was 175).

And I can almost guarantee this guy won't be around at 89, and he absolutely won't be around at 97.

Actually, you're incorrect. Andre Brown was extremely productive in college, averaging just about 5 yards per carry on his career, he just never got that many touches (career high in carries was 175).

And I can almost guarantee this guy won't be around at 89, and he absolutely won't be around at 97.

Senior year 4.4, and junior a 4.7. Never came close to 1,000 yards. Pretty unproductive. Especially when you consider that last year he had no one in front of him taking his minutes. If I'm going to spend a second on a RB in this draft, I'm going to take one of the top 3 guys with my #34.

It took him 3 years to get the ball regularly. So, that could be considered unproductive. Also, when you look at his stats, the more he got the ball, the less he produced. His stats this passed year only got him 4.4 YPC (4.85 on his career).

I'm not saying he's bad. I just don't see the need considering how stacked the Pats backfield is.

Last edited:
I would slot this guy as a third rounder. He doesnt have that blazing speed that a Chris Henry had that got him chosen by Tenn in round 2 a couple years back. Pretty good size though and finishes his runs. I like the fact that he doesnt have that much wear and tear throughout his college career. If hes there in round 3, if im the pats i definitely give him a look. Round 2 might be reaching a bit but to take him at 58 wouldnt be out of the question

I would slot this guy as a third rounder. He doesnt have that blazing speed that a Chris Henry had that got him chosen by Tenn in round 2 a couple years back. Pretty good size though and finishes his runs. I like the fact that he doesnt have that much wear and tear throughout his college career. If hes there in round 3, if im the pats i definitely give him a look. Round 2 might be reaching a bit but to take him at 58 wouldnt be out of the question

Did you mean Chris Johnson?

Last edited:
I just don't see the results on film to warrant one of our top picks. If you're looking for a big, bruising back with strength and surprising speed, look at LeGarrette Blount from Oregon for next year's draft. I'd rather wait a year to draft a RB high, as rookie RB's seem to see more productive success their first year than some other positions on the Pats. We're pretty set there this year, and if BB disagrees, I hope that it's someone else.

Post combine stock is rising and had a private workout with the Pats:

STOCK RISING FOR ANDRE BROWN

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 26, 2009, 8:06 p.m. EDT
Speedy North Carolina State running back Andre Brown is scheduled to visit the San Diego Chargers, Tennessee Titans, San Francisco 49ers, Houston Texans, New England Patriots and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

He has also conducted a private workout with the Patriots.

The 6′0, 224-pounder registered a hand-timed 4.37 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine with an official time of 4.47.

“I’m hearing I could go in the second or third round,” Brown told us in a telephone interview. “My workouts and my performance at the Senior Bowl have really helped me a lot. … I’m an old-fashioned guy. I love Walter Payton, how hard he ran. I’m a big back that has speed. I’m an every-down type of back.”

At the combine, Brown posted a 37-inch vertical leap and bench pressed 225 pounds 24 times. He was the fourth-fastest running back at the combine.

A former Parade Magazine All-American in high school, Brown rushed for 2,403 career yards and 21 touchdowns, averaging 4.8 yards per carry. He has recovered from a broken left foot that hampered him in 2007 and 2008.

I like his measurables, but on tape he just doesn't look like he has a lot of escapability. On the other hand when you watch Donald Brown and Rashad Jennings, they both have great feet, they run low and they just go and go and go. I think I'd rather have one of those guys, and if not one of them then one of the scat-back types, like Devin Moore or Antone Smith (who ran under 4.4 at his pro day). A big bruiser like Brown is a pretty tough fit with the Pats, who have so many drawns and screens. Brown runs so upright -- he looks like Antowain Smith to me.

2nd round sounds way too early for Andre Brown. And honestly I don't think the Pats need to get a RB on the 1st day.

Last edited:
2nd round sounds way too early for Andre Brown. And honestly I don't think the Pats need to get a RB on the 1st day.

I agree. I am scared he seems very brittle to me. A large history of injuries scares me. See Wheatley for a reference.

I agree. I am scared he seems very brittle to me. A large history of injuries scares me. See Wheatley for a reference.

Okay, I agree with you. But the Patriots have held both a private workout and a visit with Andre Brown, so he is clearly on their radar.

I'm sure they will also assess his left foot when he visits (or they did when he visited).

If they think the foot is a problem, I doubt they will draft him.

Did you mean Chris Johnson?

No, I meant Chris Henry, taken 50th overall in the 2nd round in the 2007 draft by the Tennessee Titans out of the University of Arizona. This guy was a clear 2nd day pick before he ran a sub 4.3 at the NFL combine

I would like for us to get him between #58 and #89. He reminds me of Derrick Ward who is one of my favorite backs in the NFL. I think that he could become our future number 1.

While we're discussing running backs . . .

Rashad Jennings is slightly bigger, just as fast, more agile, has just as good of hands, and was way more productive. Plus I love how hard he trains--especially isokentic training, which I feel is crucial for building dynamic strength. Check out his YouTube video: youtube.com/watch?v=JEpJMNzBZ1k

I love how he just gallops when he runs. He's got a nasty stiffarm and excellent feet and vision. Plus, he's likely available at 89, given that at least half a dozen guys are projected to go in front of him on draft day.

Imagine how good he could be with a guy like Fred Taylor to mentor him. I'm pretty excited about the idea!

I just don't see the results on film to warrant one of our top picks. If you're looking for a big, bruising back with strength and surprising speed, look at LeGarrette Blount from Oregon for next year's draft. I'd rather wait a year to draft a RB high, as rookie RB's seem to see more productive success their first year than some other positions on the Pats. We're pretty set there this year, and if BB disagrees, I hope that it's someone else.

I think Blount is amazing. However, next year is next year.

The knock on Brown's lack of carries at NC St. is deserved, but having a lighter college workload isn't always a negative. The guys like Ricky Williams who get run into the ground at the college level make me more nervous. I like the guys with a little less mileage...whether it be because of a time-share situation or non-chronic injury.

I love Brown's size and his hands...his agility pleasantly surprised me. The need isn't there for the Patriots, but if he gets to the third round, he's worth taking as the best value on the board, even with a slight trade-up. With his skill set, he can find work as a featured runner, as a third down back, or even as a short yardage runner. He could legitimately take the role of Maroney, Morris, Faulk, or Evans in the offense....you don't need to worry about him fitting in on the roster.

That being said, I think he's probably going to be the fourth RB off the board, somewhere around pick 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes