PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An interesting list of what can we get from QB desperate Teams for our pick #3

Why would a team that’s desperate for a QB trade the pick to another QB desperate team?

Why not just take the QB and fill the biggest most important need on the team.

You keep talking about Fields, but so far you have refused to answer the simplest question about him, and I have asked you it several times. Why trade for a QB when the team that drafted him is so desperate to get rid of him that they would pass up 3 first rounders just so they can take a new rookie QBto replace hiim? Especially when they could use those picks to build a great team around him. The Bears literally have to have zero belief in him to do this, but you think the patriots should give up draft capital to get him, and then pay him 40 million a year. Which means the Patriots are giving up a huge chunk of cap space, and draft picks for a guy who has sucked as a pro, and whose team thinks he sucks.

And if they don’t get Fields you want to pay big money to a truly mediocre free agent QB to come to a team with a bad OL, and very bad skill positions.

Both of these are really bad ideas , and at some point you need to figure that out. Or at a minimum answer those questions, because so far you just keep repeating these ideas, but back them up with nothing.
Hey Ivan,

I believe my thoughts on Fields more than likely align with teams looking to upgrade an unsettled QB position.
Why I would applaud the move is let’s say you get him for a second, a third or asap of draft picks in the first.

Well we can all agree that tools wise Fields has more tools than any QB on our current roster. He’s younger and Mayfield and Cousins and cheaper.
He brings a dynamic running the ball most teams don’t have at that position.
He’s bigger and more stout than Jayden Daniel’s, runs with more power and has a bigger arm.

If I can get Fields vs taking QB in the first, I can done few things,

. I can trade down to fill more holes with quality players,
. I can draft Marvin Harrison JR or a premier tackle,
. I can’t trade my first with a team like minn for Jefferson and their first?

I can out him with a OC like Van Pelt and see if we can refine the rough edges to his game.
He’s still incredibly young. And he’s physically gifted.
I have him ranked 5th if he was in this draft.

Now as far as why Chicago is willing to move on is everyone is saying Caleb Williams
Is the second coming of Mahommes if you ignore that and you trade that pick to watch him become 70 percent of Mahommes you are going to be without a job laughed at and ridiculed. It’s kind of a tough position for a GM,

Ultimately let Macadoo and Van Pelt decide who the QB should be.
If they think they can win with Fields I think it’s a great move.
It appears Was may take Maye.
So that leaves us with Daniel’s and McCarthy or Harrison Jr a tackle or a trade down,
Fields is a just another potential piece in fixing our offense.

He's not coming here, but I'll play. If we signed Mayfield, I would trade down to draft a top 6 LT, and then another OT at 34 or with a trade up. I would likely still have an additional pick from the trade down for an early WR.
I've always liked the idea of trading back for more picks. It's a crap shoot and more picks gives the team more chances at more players. Even 7th round picks are good because it gives the Pats the first look and option on those players. I'm not a fan of Mayfield though.

Why would a team that’s desperate for a QB trade the pick to another QB desperate team?

Why not just take the QB and fill the biggest most important need on the team.
1. People make the argument that the Patriots offense is missing too many pieces to stick a rookie QB into that situation. That seems absurd to me with free agency yet to happen, but it’s certainly an opinion that’s out there.

2. If the Pats don’t have an appropriate grade on the one remaining “big 3” QB, then they’d trade the pick to a team that does value him that highly.

3. Mayo and company clearly get some time to build the team as they see fit, while other teams may be on accelerated timelines where jobs are at stake if a splash move doesn’t happen right now. (Obviously the QB evaluations are really important here too.)

1. People make the argument that the Patriots offense is missing too many pieces to stick a rookie QB into that situation. That seems absurd to me with free agency yet to happen, but it’s certainly an opinion that’s out there.

2. If the Pats don’t have an appropriate grade on the one remaining “big 3” QB, then they’d trade the pick to a team that does value him that highly.

3. Mayo and company clearly get some time to build the team as they see fit, while other teams may be on accelerated timelines where jobs are at stake if a splash move doesn’t happen right now. (Obviously the QB evaluations are really important here too.)
Between having loads of money for free agency and the draft the team has ample resources to fill out the roster. Not saying they’re going to contend for a SB but more than enough to take a QB with the 3rd pick.

Last edited:
Between having loads of money for free agency and the draft the team had ample resources to fill out the roster. Not saying they’re going to contend for a SB but more than enough to take a QB with the 3rd pick.
We're in a rare position of having a top pick and a lot of free cap space for free agency, if done right we can make the team so much better in one offseason.

We're in a rare position of having a top pick and a lot of free cap space for free agency, if done right we can make the team so much better in one offseason.
Going to be a fun offseason that’s for sure.

You actually believe the Patriots could win a Lombardi with Baker Mayfield? Are you on bath salts DW?
Cousin Ivan,
I have no such expectations. I...WE...seek a competitive Team.
With a #3 QB pick, how do you expect one unproven youngster to turn a whole Franchise around. People ignore the fact that Groh was one of the causes of this roster. Yet we give him a pass. Cousin Ivan I guarantee you could have made more sensible roster calls the last few years.

My thoughts for a quick "competitive" fix?
Scenario one (I will have more later). The Bucs have to choose between Winfield and Mayfield to tag. They have a good FA class that they have to pick and choose.
We can afford Mike Evans and Mayfield. Does this change the Dynamic of the offense? Do we make the Playoffs?......Playoffs!?! I can see doubling our wins at least with these two plus add free agents such as OT Jonah Williams (whom won't break the bank), "crucial role' WR Josh Reynolds (I see him as a Meyers replacement) Christian Wilkins (IDL) (BIG BUCK SIGNING), Andrew Van Ginkel (EDGE) (We wanted him last year. He is versatile), Xavier McKinney (S) (a real FS)Dalton Schultz (TE) (two good TEs). Resign Hunter Henry, Anfernee Jennings (EDGE), Pharaoh Brown (TE), Jalen Reagor (WR,KR), AND ESPECIALLY Michael Onwenu (RT). ...Plus give Barmore and Peppers a raise. I'd like to resign Zeke.

Now Draft MHJ , a shinny new OT and maybe a Nix or Rattler (best arm in the Draft and can move a little,,,played behind the worst OL in the SEC with 11 changes) late

Playoffs? I don't know Competitive? I think so.
DW Toys

Cousin Ivan,
I have no such expectations. I...WE...seek a competitive Team.
With a #3 QB pick, how do you expect one unproven youngster to turn a whole Franchise around. People ignore the fact that Groh was one of the causes of this roster. Yet we give him a pass. Cousin Ivan I guarantee you could have made more sensible roster calls the last few years.

My thoughts for a quick "competitive" fix?
Scenario one (I will have more later). The Bucs have to choose between Winfield and Mayfield to tag. They have a good FA class that they have to pick and choose.
We can afford Mike Evans and Mayfield. Does this change the Dynamic of the offense? Do we make the Playoffs?......Playoffs!?! I can see doubling our wins at least with these two plus add free agents such as OT Jonah Williams (whom won't break the bank), "crucial role' WR Josh Reynolds (I see him as a Meyers replacement) Christian Wilkins (IDL) (BIG BUCK SIGNING), Andrew Van Ginkel (EDGE) (We wanted him last year. He is versatile), Xavier McKinney (S) (a real FS)Dalton Schultz (TE) (two good TEs). Resign Hunter Henry, Anfernee Jennings (EDGE), Pharaoh Brown (TE), Jalen Reagor (WR,KR), AND ESPECIALLY Michael Onwenu (RT). ...Plus give Barmore and Peppers a raise. I'd like to resign Zeke.

Now Draft MHJ , a shinny new OT and maybe a Nix or Rattler (best arm in the Draft and can move a little,,,played behind the worst OL in the SEC with 11 changes) late

Playoffs? I don't know Competitive? I think so.
DW Toys

DW, I have no interest in mediocre QB’s who cost a **** ton of $$$$ to attempt a quick fix. And my expectation to take a a really good QB prospect early and build around them is no different than it has been in K.C., Buffalo, Miami, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Houston, and even BLtimore at the end of the first round. Tag’s most of the playoff teams in the AFC, and they won’t be joining that discussion by taking ****ty overpriced QB’s that other teams are throwing away

If you and other want a quick fix with high priced free agents that’s fine. I’m not looking for that, so I see all of this very differently.

DW, I have no interest in mediocre QB’s who cost a **** ton of $$$$ to attempt a quick fix. And my expectation to take a a really good QB prospect early and build around them is no different than it has been in K.C., Buffalo, Miami, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Houston, and even BLtimore at the end of the first round. Tag’s most of the playoff teams in the AFC, and they won’t be joining that discussion by taking ****ty overpriced QB’s that other teams are throwing away

If you and other want a quick fix with high priced free agents that’s fine. I’m not looking for that, so I see all of this very differently.
Respect your opinion Cousin
DW Toys

Hey Ivan,

I believe my thoughts on Fields more than likely align with teams looking to upgrade an unsettled QB position.
Why I would applaud the move is let’s say you get him for a second, a third or asap of draft picks in the first.

Well we can all agree that tools wise Fields has more tools than any QB on our current roster. He’s younger and Mayfield and Cousins and cheaper.
He brings a dynamic running the ball most teams don’t have at that position.
He’s bigger and more stout than Jayden Daniel’s, runs with more power and has a bigger arm.

If I can get Fields vs taking QB in the first, I can done few things,

. I can trade down to fill more holes with quality players,
. I can draft Marvin Harrison JR or a premier tackle,
. I can’t trade my first with a team like minn for Jefferson and their first?

I can out him with a OC like Van Pelt and see if we can refine the rough edges to his game.
He’s still incredibly young. And he’s physically gifted.
I have him ranked 5th if he was in this draft.

Now as far as why Chicago is willing to move on is everyone is saying Caleb Williams
Is the second coming of Mahommes if you ignore that and you trade that pick to watch him become 70 percent of Mahommes you are going to be without a job laughed at and ridiculed. It’s kind of a tough position for a GM,

Ultimately let Macadoo and Van Pelt decide who the QB should be.
If they think they can win with Fields I think it’s a great move.
It appears Was may take Maye.
So that leaves us with Daniel’s and McCarthy or Harrison Jr a tackle or a trade down,
Fields is a just another potential piece in fixing our offense.

Literally no one is saying Williams is Mahomes . He’s a talented young prospect, not a first ballot Hall of Famer, and Chicago would be trading the pick to build around fields instead of trying to get rid of him if they thought he was any good. And ultimately Wolf and Mayo will be making the draft pick, not Van Pelt and Macadoo, and as usual I have no idea where you came up with the idea it would be Van Pelt and Macadoo.

I haven't watched every qb extensively but Jayden and McCarthy quickly stood out for me. With the line we currently have, a mobile qb seems like a must. I can't explain it but there is something about Maye I do not like. I think we just take the qb and call it a day.

Regardless of the draft position the team needs to be disciplined in their approach and look to extract maximum value for the pick. Given the gaping hole at the position, the only reason that the team should not pick a QB at 3 is if AVP and McAdoo are not confident in the available players. If no QB's are worth a number 3 pick the team should take MHJ unless some other team values the available QBs and is willing to over pay for the draft pick.

Regardless of the draft position the team needs to be disciplined in their approach and look to extract maximum value for the pick. Given the gaping hole at the position, the only reason that the team should not pick a QB at 3 is if AVP and McAdoo are not confident in the available players. If no QB's are worth a number 3 pick the team should take MHJ unless some other team values the available QBs and is willing to over pay for the draft pick.
IMO, your strategy is right only if the staff didn't like any of the top FIVE quarterbacks. If we like 4 or 5, then we should trade down and pick our QB.

To be blunt, Harrison is waste to us in 2024 and 2025 unless we have our QB. Of course, the strategy might be different if we sign Mayfield or Fields as our QB of the future. I don't see that happening.

The fact that your QB pick is hit or miss and could be out of the league in two years, adds fuel to the “trade down for more high picks”, argument, and get more chances to add valuable players to the team.

If you want to pick a QB at #3 I hope it is because you are sold on the player, and not just picking QB because it is the biggest piece we are missing.
You miss on 100% is the Qb's you don't pick

I suspect the Pats want Drake Maye but he will be off the board at 3. I am hoping they have a QB via trade or free agency before the draft (Fields or Mayfield) but they can not swing the deal.
If it plays out like this, I think they trade back a few spots with Vikings at 11 and settle on JJ Mccarthy

IMO, your strategy is right only if the staff didn't like any of the top FIVE quarterbacks. If we like 4 or 5, then we should trade down and pick our QB.

To be blunt, Harrison is waste to us in 2024 and 2025 unless we have our QB. Of course, the strategy might be different if we sign Mayfield or Fields as our QB of the future. I don't see that happening.
I would expect that the team should evaluate all QB's in all rounds. In the scenario where the remaining QB's are not considered elite enough for the third pick, I would prefer to get a haul of resources. In many ways drafting a non QB with the third pick is a worst case scenario.

You miss on 100% is the Qb's you don't pick

And thank goodness when that happens, given that a very small % of the QB's picked go on to be starters.

And thank goodness when that happens, given that a very small % of the QB's picked go on to be starters.
So what's your solution? Never pick a QB high in the draft? Or just never pick a QB at all

So what's your solution? Never pick a QB high in the draft? Or just never pick a QB at all

I'm not promoting a solution, just want to make sure the percentages are understood as we talk about all this.
There's all this talk about a "top 3" QB's in this draft but I don't think they are in the same category at all. Daniels is objectively evaluated as if he'd be a bottom 1st rounder in terms of likelihood of success. The Pats were/are criticised heavily for "overdrafting" Strange. If we are going to overdraft a QB, we should be realistic of the odds, not expect (for example) Daniel's to live up to being the #3 pick in the draft.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back