PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An amazing stat on Dion Lewis' efficiency, and how well the Patriots are managing his snaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
For months, we talked about limiting Lewis' snaps and placing a lighter workload on his body - to keep him available for the playoffs. And just as many predicted, he's become a key component of our offense (again). How effective has he been this season?

Well when you factor in the limited time he's had to play, he's been insanely productive. I was surprised to read this, but according to Phil Perry:

Lewis has been one of the team's most efficient players since his return. He saw 20 touches on Sunday in just 28 total snaps, running for 95 yards and catching two passes for nine more yards. As an indication of just how often the Patriots are using Lewis when he's on the field, consider this: On a yards-per-snap basis, Lewis has a better average than Arizona's David Johnson, Pittsburgh's Le'Veon Bell and Tennessee's DeMarco Murray. The sample size is still small, and Lewis doesn't see near the workload those players do, but when he's on the field he's getting a chance to make plays, and he's been productive in the chances he's received.

While I certainly want Lewis to have his moment to shine, limiting his snaps makes him oddly suited for the kind of gameplan-oriented offense that evolves week-to-week. For certain stretches, he may not be used as much - but during pivotal games against tougher opponents (and as we enter into the post-season) he may become a crucial X-factor that can allow the Patriots to add wrinkles into the formations, and give opposing defenses some fits.

Take Sunday's game for example:

*** Lewis is indeed an every-down back - which makes him such a versatile weapon. The Patriots simply waited until the Week 15 showdown at Denver to use him.

***He carried a career-high 18 times for a career-high 95 yards, consistently churning out five-yard gains. Unlike Blount, he has the ability to make defenders miss at the line of scrimmage.

*** He quickly attacked running lanes, but generated yards after contact as well -- falling forward on almost every one of his 18 carries...and was able to average 5.3 yards per carry without a run of longer than 14 yards.

C0GIM9LXcAALD5f.jpg

On a slightly related note, when Gronk returns next year, I hope the coaches will split more of his snaps with Bennett (assuming Bennett gets resigned, and can be relied upon to be healthy). Perhaps even more, Gronk can be selectively used on a week to week basis. During certain games where his contributions may not be needed as much, we could reduce his workload (and hopefully, limit the amount of damage his body sustains during a season)

And while it sounds crazy to imagine a transcendent, Hall-of-Fame player like Gronk on a special snap count, this strategy could play huge dividends down the stretch and into the playoffs...much like how we've discussed (and are seeing now) with Dion Lewis

Last edited:
Love me some Doin Lewis. Yes I call him "Doin".. Back early last season when he started tearing it up, shaking guys out there shoes, and making highlight plays look easy, someone posted in a game thread something to the effect of "Who the f*** is Doin Lewis?!?" (with the typo). To which I obviously responded: at this point I wish I was doin Lewis. lol good times, anyway my brother and I call him Doin now instead of Dion. Ok random side story over.

Have to love our stable of rbs right now. Have to sign blount to another contract next season, hopefully one that gets the man paid a bit more. He loves being here and I for one definitely love having him.

Great point about how Dion has been managed and if we can do the same or similar with Gronk in the future. I'm beginning to fear that some are right around here about Gronks future here (and possibly the NFL in general) being in doubt. I would love if we could do what you're suggesting, carefully manage his snaps, and get him to take a pay cut for the future. Having Marty around will be key to this. Wish we had derby too :(

Great point about how Dion has been managed and if we can do the same or similar with Gronk in the future. I'm beginning to fear that some are right around here about Gronks future here (and possibly the NFL in general) being in doubt. I would love if we could do what you're suggesting, carefully manage his snaps, and get him to take a pay cut for the future. Having Marty around will be key to this.

Thank you. That's really the direction I'm hoping Gronk will take - if only to extend his career.

As fans, I feel we sometimes underestimate the violent collisions that every-down tight ends like Gronk experience on a weekly basis. In running situations, tight ends are putting their bodies between rapidly moving edge rushers and the ball carrier. In passing situations, they are operating in traffic, battling 250-lbs linebackers for the ball in space, and then after converting receptions, they can become stationary targets for safeties. Gronk, being as dominant as he is on all three downs, and how deadly he is for opposing defenses, is likely to draw some of the worst kinds of hits!

Going forward, the Patriots might need to think about involving Gronk on a situational basis, where the number of snaps he plays are based on the gameplan of that week (or the state of his health).

I am all for managing Gronk and saving him for big games and the playoffs. I was a fan of it before and a fan of it now. I was very surprised for stretches how the Pats rarely used Bennett even when he was healthy in passing situations and gave all those snaps to Gronk. That to me was a lack of commitment to the big picture. I hope to never see it again but i understand. Gronk is so tempting. He changes the game like only a few skill players in the NFL can when on the field.

I think his greatest value will be protecting our down and distance. In our offense, the best thing a running back can do is create positive yardage on 1st and 2nd down, and be able to convert on 3rd and short. Against Denver, he had 0 rushes stuffed (less than 2yds) and converted all first downs on 3rd and 5 or less.

The game felt a lot more dominating than the score indicated because the team did a great job of flipping the field position. Dion had a huge role in that, and will be a major major major role with us competing for a championship. Field position was our biggest killer in both 7/11 Super Bowls, so having a back who can fight for yardage so successfully will is a gigantic addition to this team, at exactly the right time of year.

For months, we talked about limiting Lewis' snaps and placing a lighter workload on his body - to keep him available for the playoffs. And just as many predicted, he's become a key component of our offense (again). How effective has he been this season?

Well when you factor in the limited time he's had to play, he's been insanely productive. I was surprised to read this, but according to Phil Perry:

Lewis has been one of the team's most efficient players since his return. He saw 20 touches on Sunday in just 28 total snaps, running for 95 yards and catching two passes for nine more yards. As an indication of just how often the Patriots are using Lewis when he's on the field, consider this: On a yards-per-snap basis, Lewis has a better average than Arizona's David Johnson, Pittsburgh's Le'Veon Bell and Tennessee's DeMarco Murray. The sample size is still small, and Lewis doesn't see near the workload those players do, but when he's on the field he's getting a chance to make plays, and he's been productive in the chances he's received.

While I certainly want Lewis to have his moment to shine, limiting his snaps makes him oddly suited for the kind of gameplan-oriented offense that evolves week-to-week. For certain stretches, he may not be used as much - but during pivotal games against tougher opponents (and as we enter into the post-season) he may become a crucial X-factor that can allow the Patriots to add wrinkles into the formations, and give opposing defenses some fits.

Take Sunday's game for example:

*** Lewis is indeed an every-down back - which makes him such a versatile weapon. The Patriots simply waited until the Week 15 showdown at Denver to use him.

***He carried a career-high 18 times for a career-high 95 yards, consistently churning out five-yard gains. Unlike Blount, he has the ability to make defenders miss at the line of scrimmage.

*** He quickly attacked running lanes, but generated yards after contact as well -- falling forward on almost every one of his 18 carries...and was able to average 5.3 yards per carry without a run of longer than 14 yards.

I'm a Nervous Nellie with Lewis getting that # of carries. No question he can run well, but I want him to last the season and stay reasonably fresh. I think hes a 8-10 carries a game guy with another 3-5 catches a game. This is why I wanted them to draft a 3 down RB they they can groom to take over for Blount next year or in 2 years.

On a slightly related note, when Gronk returns next year, I hope the coaches will split more of his snaps with Bennett (assuming Bennett gets resigned, and can be relied upon to be healthy). Perhaps even more, Gronk can be selectively used on a week to week basis. During certain games where his contributions may not be needed as much, we could reduce his workload (and hopefully, limit the amount of damage his body sustains during a season)

And while it sounds crazy to imagine a transcendent, Hall-of-Fame player like Gronk on a special snap count, this strategy could play huge dividends down the stretch and into the playoffs...much like how we've discussed (and are seeing now) with Dion Lewis

They tried doing that this year and he got hurt. I've never seen a team be so careful about managing a player's workload like they do with Gronk. Im not sure what more they can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST