PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that you mention Boyce, last season he was on the 46-man roster for 9 games, and he had 9 catches for 121 yards. This season Amendola has been active 9 games and he has 9 catches for 82 yards.

That's hardly a fair comparison though, since it was more than obvious that Boyce didn't even know where to line up, or what routes to run....the fact that they risked losing him for good by outright cutting him only ONE year into his career pretty much speaks volumes about Josh Boyce's (likely) ability to produce on this team.

The one and only reason he even saw the field at all was due to poor depth planning and injuries. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Amendola may not be producing or living up to his pact, but he's obviously making up for it in other ways such as blocking and carrying out his assignments. If he wasn't, he wouldn't still be seeing reps. Simple as that.

He'll obviously be cut or restructured anyway, so all of this constant *****ing is useless in the big picture over one year where he doesn't live up to his pact, which we all knew way back in January.

Last edited:
That's hardly a fair comparison though, since it was more than obvious that Boyce didn't even know where to line up, or what routes to run....the fact that they risked losing him for good by outright cutting him only ONE year into his career pretty much speaks volumes about Josh Boyce's ability to produce on this team.

The one and only reason he even saw the field at all was due to poor depth planning and injuries. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Amendola may not be producing or living up to his pact, but he's obviously making up for it in other ways such as blocking and carrying out his assignments. If he wasn't, he wouldn't still be seeing reps. Simple as that.

He'll obviously be cut or restructured anyway, so all of this constant *****ing is useless in the big picture over one year where he doesn't live up to his pact, which we all knew way back in January.
In terms of him making up for it other places I don't know if that is true. I the financial investment into Amendola is a big reason he is getting reps, because when you give a player that kind of money you don't just sit him down to play Brian Tyms. He is also a McDaniels guy so I'm sure that helps his cause. Not living up to his contract is one thing but honestly we got more out of Austin Collie last season than we have Amendola for 1/6 the cost. He is not living up to a league minimum contract never mind his current contract. Hopefully he gives us more over the next seven games but I don't think even with a pay cut he will be here next year. I mean the guy has 9 catches, 2 of which came from Garopollo in garbage time of a blowout. He has been a non factor with the exception of one catch in the Jets game.

In terms of him making up for it other places I don't know if that is true. I the financial investment into Amendola is a big reason he is getting reps, because when you give a player that kind of money you don't just sit him down to play Brian Tyms. He is also a McDaniels guy so I'm sure that helps his cause. Not living up to his contract is one thing but honestly we got more out of Austin Collie last season than we have Amendola for 1/6 the cost. He is not living up to a league minimum contract never mind his current contract. Hopefully he gives us more over the next seven games but I don't think even with a pay cut he will be here next year. I mean the guy has 9 catches, 2 of which came from Garopollo in garbage time of a blowout. He has been a non factor with the exception of one catch in the Jets game.

You and I see Belichick very differently.

I think Belichick would never play a player just because he made the mistake of overpaying him. In fact I think Belichick is one of the fastest if not the fastest coach to move on from players where doing so is an implicit admission that they made a mistake with them.

There is another reason Amendola is on the field and it has nothing to do with how much money Amendola is making. In my opinion of course.

I think Belichick would never play a player just because he made the mistake of overpaying him. In fact I think Belichick is one of the fastest if not the fastest coach to move on from players where doing so is an implicit admission that they made a mistake with them.

There is another reason Amendola is on the field and it has nothing to do with how much money Amendola is making. In my opinion of course.

He understands the offense, but Chad Johnson production is Chad Johnson production. In Bill we trust, but im hoping Tyms or Dobson can take these snaps.

He still has 7 -10 games to play. If he goes on his current trend, I agree a paycut will be needed or cut outright. But there is a reason he keeps getting all these snaps and is active.

In addition, I will puke if the New England Patriots select a wide receiver in the 2015 NFL Draft. .
I dunna know Tippett.
He understands the offense, but Chad Johnson production is Chad Johnson production. In Bill we trust, but im hoping Tyms or Dobson can take these snaps.
Amendola produced in this offense in 2013. Other personnel and formations are higher-value targets and preferences which are the main reasons why he is not out there.

Johnson hardly ever played because he could never comprehend the offense beyond quickouts.

This is cool...

"You never bother Bill"...lol

Interesting bit @robertweathers but Chad is full of it. He let it slip on first take 2 years ago that it has more to do with New Englands system that the outside receivers tend to not click here. He sarcastically asked skip bayless "How are the outside receivers doing?" Skip then barks back at him "Brandon Lloyd is doing fine!". Chad then backtracks and starts up with the politically correct bit after Skip asks Chad if he's better than Brandon Lloyd. This interview can be found on YouTube

Interesting bit @robertweathers but Chad is full of it. He let it slip on first take 2 years ago that it has more to do with New Englands system that the outside receivers tend to not click here. He sarcastically asked skip bayless "How are the outside receivers doing?" Skip then barks back at him "Brandon Lloyd is doing fine!". Chad then backtracks and starts up with the politically correct bit after Skip asks Chad if he's better than Brandon Lloyd. This interview can be found on YouTube
Yea there was another youtube that was from ESPN and while in MIA, Chad moaned about how
NE was too constrictive and couldn't be himself which impacted his overall performance...rubbish.

Your analysis says that Belichick

1) is playing Amendola instead of a better player (or 3 according to you).

2) couldn't cut him for some obscure reason.
=====
We agree that Amendola will not continue in 2015 under his current contract.
==================
My view is very different than yours. I believe that

1) Amendola is one the 53 because he is considered better than having Boyce on the 53. After all, Amendola could have been cut before the season with CAP SAVINGS if Belichick thought that Boyce was a better choice.

2) Amendola is active because Belichick and Josh thinks that he is a better choice for receiving reps than Dobson (this could be because of injury, but the conclusion is the same).

3) Amendola gets more reps than Tyms because Belichick and Josh think that Amendola is a better choice to be on the field. Perhaps this is because of blocking, perhaps because he can run routes better, or perhaps a bout of both.

BOTTOM LINE #1
If Bill and Josh thought that Amendola was a worse choice that both Tyms and Dobson, he would be inactive. You do understand that this actually saves cap money.

BOTTOM LINE #2
I agree with everyone's frustration. It is sad that Amendola (given his production) is a better choice than Tyms and Dobson and Boyce.

As I have said elsewhere, I don't think it matters much (similar to Wright). Last I saw, Brady and the passing game were doing fine. I don't know why I would want someone else to catch the ball, other than those already performing so well. Would we really prefer Amendola having more catches and Grok having fewer, or Amendola having fewer?

The #5 and #6 receiver (Amendola and Wright) have never gotten many reps under Belichick,

I the financial investment into Amendola is a big reason he is getting reps, because when you give a player that kind of money you don't just sit him down to play Brian Tyms.

Last edited:
1) Amendola is one the 53 because he is considered better than having Boyce on the 53. After all, Amendola could have been cut before the season with CAP SAVINGS if Belichick thought that Boyce was a better choice.

2) Amendola is active because Belichick and Josh thinks that he is a better choice for receiving reps than Dobson (this could be because of injury, but the conclusion is the same).

3) Amendola gets more reps than Tyms because Belichick and Josh think that Amendola is a better choice to be on the field. Perhaps this is because of blocking, perhaps because he can run routes better, or perhaps a bout of both.

BOTTOM LINE #1
If Bill and Josh thought that Amendola was a worse choice that both Tyms and Dobson, he would be inactive. You do understand that this actually saves cap money.

BOTTOM LINE #2
I agree with everyone's frustration. It is sad that Amendola (given his production) is a better choice than Tyms and Dobson and Boyce.

As I have said elsewhere, I don't think it matters much (similar to Wright). Last I saw, Brady and the passing game were doing fine. I don't know why I would want someone else to catch the ball, other than those already performing so well. Would we really prefer Amendola having more catches and Grok having fewer, or Amendola having fewer?

The #5 and #6 receiver (Amendola and Wright) have never gotten many reps under Belichick,

Agree with all except the bold. According to Miguel if DA was cut before the start of the season, it would have been a $2.8m savings if traded- but a $4.8m cap hit. I think BB will cut guys if they are not bringing value but within reason...

Yea there was another youtube that was from ESPN and while in MIA, Chad moaned about how
NE was too constrictive and couldn't be himself which impacted his overall performance...rubbish.

Ya Chad had 15 catches because bill wouldn't let him wear a hall of fame jacket and putt the football with the pylon as of it was a golf ball. Makes sense Chad.:rolleyes:

Agree with all except the bold. According to Miguel if DA was cut before the start of the season, it would have been a $2.8m savings if traded- but a $4.8m cap hit. I think BB will cut guys if they are not bringing value but within reason...
I agree with the cap hit. However, it would have been $880K LESS if Amendola were cut.

Yes, there was a lot of sunk cost. Belichick decided that it was worth a $375K bonus for Amendola to be part of the team during the offseason. Obviously, this was quite reasonable as an insurance policy.

By the time it was time to make a decision before the season started, Belichick had to decide whether Danny was worth $1M of salary plus game day incentives (up to $500K). If Belichick had the kind of faith in last year's trio as some here (Thompkins, Boyce and Dobson), then Amendola could have been cut with confidence. After all, we had these 3 plus Edelman and LaFell plus Tyms after 4 weeks.

Belichick CHOSE to keep Amendola and pay him $1.25 (so far). Personally, I think that Belichick made the right choice. The passing game has been great with DA as the #3 WR, blocking and running routes. For a reason not understood by most here, DA is Belichick's choice as our #3 receiver. Perhaps Dobson will be active, and even be the #3. Belichick still seem fine with his decision

THE OTHER DECISION
upon which we all seem to agree is that DA's current contract will be scrapped. He may or may not be offered a new contract. Folks need to understand that there are no contract modifications. The team can keep DA, offer him a new contract or cut him (early or late in the preseason).

Like others have said, I don't believe that Belichick has ever been shy from sitting someone if there's better talent waiting to see the field, despite what they're getting paid.

I am assuming that the coaches (mainly singular as in "coach") feels that Amendola is still the best option to do what is asked of him, partly due to the lack of better options behind him, and partly due to the fact that they likely still feel that he can produce.

The key is exactly what @mgteich has stated now several times in that our WR3-4's have never produced much. With Edelman and LaFell (not to mention Gronkowski and even Vereen), a guy like Danny Amendola isn't going to receive many reps, and one would have to assume that the coaching staff knew that way back in the offseason; yet they still kept him for reasons that we do not currently know.

Look at guys who have played the WR3 role recently:

WR3 production

--2013 Dobson 37 catches (which is high due to the loss of both TEs + poor options/injuries)

--2012 Edelman 21 catches

--2011 Chad Johnson 15 catches

--2010 Brandon Tate 24 catches

--2009 Prior to the drafting of the 2 TEs it jumps back up to 37 with Edelman, which is where it was last year as well, but most years it isn't going to be as high as the mid-late 30s.

DA is averaging one rec per game as the number 3 WR on a team that scores over 30 points a game. the bad part is that he is not playing because of the money he makes but because the guys in back of him are even worst

I agree with the cap hit. However, it would have been $880K LESS if Amendola were cut.

Yes, there was a lot of sunk cost. Belichick decided that it was worth a $375K bonus for Amendola to be part of the team during the offseason. Obviously, this was quite reasonable as an insurance policy.

By the time it was time to make a decision before the season started, Belichick had to decide whether Danny was worth $1M of salary plus game day incentives (up to $500K). If Belichick had the kind of faith in last year's trio as some here (Thompkins, Boyce and Dobson), then Amendola could have been cut with confidence. After all, we had these 3 plus Edelman and LaFell plus Tyms after 4 weeks.

Belichick CHOSE to keep Amendola and pay him $1.25 (so far). Personally, I think that Belichick made the right choice. The passing game has been great with DA as the #3 WR, blocking and running routes. For a reason not understood by most here, DA is Belichick's choice as our #3 receiver. Perhaps Dobson will be active, and even be the #3. Belichick still seem fine with his decision

THE OTHER DECISION
upon which we all seem to agree is that DA's current contract will be scrapped. He may or may not be offered a new contract. Folks need to understand that there are no contract modifications. The team can keep DA, offer him a new contract or cut him (early or late in the preseason).
Good thoughts. It's fair to speculate that the team's choice is that they re-do his deal, avoid the cap hit if cut and keep him in the fold.

This is cool...

"You never bother Bill"...lol

20090630_200457_careometer.gif

It's a combination of factors. The dead money is substantial with Amendola, and he is contributing on special teams and the passing game. Amendola keeps a nickel back occupied, does a good job rubbing DBs off Edelman and Gronk, and is a capable down-field blocker. The Patriots could get all of that from a less costly player, but that would be in addition to the dead money, so they're finding ways to get ROI.

Like others have said, I don't believe that Belichick has ever been shy from sitting someone if there's better talent waiting to see the field, despite what they're getting paid.

I am assuming that the coaches (mainly singular as in "coach") feels that Amendola is still the best option to do what is asked of him, partly due to the lack of better options behind him, and partly due to the fact that they likely still feel that he can produce.

The key is exactly what @mgteich has stated now several times in that our WR3-4's have never produced much. With Edelman and LaFell (not to mention Gronkowski and even Vereen), a guy like Danny Amendola isn't going to receive many reps, and one would have to assume that the coaching staff knew that way back in the offseason; yet they still kept him for reasons that we do not currently know.

Look at guys who have played the WR3 role recently:

WR3 production

--2013 Dobson 37 catches (which is high due to the loss of both TEs + poor options/injuries)

--2012 Edelman 21 catches

--2011 Chad Johnson 15 catches

--2010 Brandon Tate 24 catches

--2009 Prior to the drafting of the 2 TEs it jumps back up to 37 with Edelman, which is where it was last year as well, but most years it isn't going to be as high as the mid-late 30s.

This is a pretty good perspective. Amendola has shown he can produce when called upon in a bigger role at times last season. Edelman's opportunities (and production) were limited when Wes was here. There are only so many passes to go around.

So when people point to the number of catches, it's a foolish metric. It's like watching a back-up NBA player get to start, and collect way more rebounds than usual. Well yeah, you will accumulate those things as you get more opportunities.

The reality is most teams don't get a ton of production out of that #3/#4 WR spot. There are also fewer opportunities when you mix in the TEs. So let's include those guys. I'm not including RBs, who are often in the top of the mix but usually as check-downs or last options (though Vereen might be the exception to that rule). That would make Amendola 5th on our team in terms of primary pass catchers. Let's look at other teams in the top 10 in passing attempts per game and see where their 5th guy is at. Below, a breakdown in catches, yards, TDs.

1. Colts: Donte Moncrief. 17, 218, 1
2. Saints: Josh Hill. 9, 122, 3
3. Eagles: Brent Celek. 19, 206, 0
4. Broncos: Jacob Tamme. 6, 57, 2
5. Raiders: Denarius Moore. 12, 115, 0
6. Steelers: Lance Moore. 10, 141, 2
7. Patriots: Danny Amendola. 9, 82, 1
8. Lions: Theo Reddick. 15, 154, 3
9. Falcons: Levine Toilolo. 15, 149, 1
10. Bears: Santonio Holmes. 8, 67, 0

Also including two teams who are near the bottom in attempts per game, but in the top 10 for most passing yards per game (the rest of the top 10 is similar to the list above).

19. Redskins: Jordan Reed. 22, 207, 0
26. Packers: Richard Rodgers. 9, 117, 0

The Colts, Eagles, and Redskins jump out on this list for production, although 115 of Celek's 206 yards came in his last game. Reed is a bit of an outlier as he missed 4 games due to injury and should rise up the charts if he stays healthy.

Amendola's production hasn't been incredible, but it's in line with most of the top passing offenses in the league. He's obviously an expensive option (although surprisingly not the most expensive player on this list), but he also provides quality depth. If Edelman were hurt, he could capably fill that spot. You couldn't say the same for a lot of guys on this list if one of the top WRs went down.

At the end of the day, there's nothing more left to say or do. It is what it is. He's paid more than he's worth right now, but he could be worth every penny if something bad were to happen. He hasn't produced like we (and he) wanted, but part of that is the emergence of other players. His contract didn't prevent us from doing anything so there were no opportunity costs, he's one of the best 53 players and deserves a roster spot, he's provided decent production considering opportunities (not even going into the bad luck on penalties on his catches).

And quite frankly, he's a New England Patriot. Whether you love him or hate, it's time to shut the **** up and cheer for him. All this ******** back and forth posting isn't going to change BB's mind. So be a fan, root for your team, root for him to do well and make plays to win games. It's too late to do much else.

Maybe cheering for him will make a difference. Maybe it won't. But it sure has more of a shot of helping than 30+ pages of anger and frustration and constant venting on the poor guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back