PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I point to the Kelly situation to illustrate a patriot strategy: try to get a player to agree to a lower contract to free up some cap money, and then make the decision about the player much later.

But, was the decision clearly made later down the line in regards to Kelly? It sure seems like Kelly is the one that made the decision for them by asking for his release. One could argue that he jumped the gun a bit based on some personal hunches or feelings.

Either way, it doesn't seem as though he's making as much in ARZ as he would have here, and that's even if he didn't reach certain incentives here--as has been discussed many times.

This situation is a bit difficult to have a strong feeling on either way, since we don't have definitive proof and can only go by hearsay and past results. At first I was tempted to blame the front office, but now I'm not too sure.

He has the talent and understanding of the scheme to produce in this offense.

He is a very, very good insurance policy if JE goes down.

This is basically the reasoning that I am using to wonder if it'd be worth it to keep him for a significantly lesser deal next year.

Of course, it would be nice to have a better talent starting and receiving more reps, but in a perfect world I'd be fine with having Amendola as a depth option.

If Amendola does stick around, his contract should be based heavily around incentives. Sure, his manager won't approve but I'm just not sure there's a bidder's market for him.

As far as his agent not agreeing to it, I think you're right--although I don't know how much of a choice they'll have, as you point out.

As far as his agent not agreeing to it, I think you're right--although I don't know how much of a choice they'll have, as you point out.
I've supported DA as much as anyone on this board, but his production in this offense clearly doesn't support his salary. However I don't think it's entirely his fault. When he signed, it was to play the slot position a la Welker and was expected to get 10 plus targets a game in that kind of offense. Then came the injury. This season he's become an after thought 4th option after Gronk, Edelman, & Lafell, lucky to get 2-3 targets a game. Not only that, the role he was signed to play no longer exists. It looks to me that so far this season, the Pats have tried to get away from those short option routes that Welker ran so often for 6 seasons.e

I still think DA is a quality receiver when given the sufficient number of targets. Unfortunately for him, he's never going to see those kinds of numbers unless someone gets injured. In the end, he will have to know that the Pats won't be able to support his cap number and he will have to choose between taking a significant cut more worthy of his current role, or take a chance at a 1 year "prove it to me" deal for another team that might need him more.

If I were him, I'd take the cut. It's likely to be more than what he would get after his last 2 years of production, and he gets play in a better situation. e If he chooses not to stay, Boyce would be in a perfect position to step in.

Between Boyce, Tyms, Dobson, and Wright, the Pats have plenty of young raw talent to develop to go along with Gronk, Edelman, and Lafell. Maybe its time to stop getting wet over every draft and FA WR to come along. Maybe it is time to start to develop the talent we have instead of having to reinvent our receiver corps each year.

Last edited:
If I were him, I'd take the cut. It's likely to be more than what he would get after his last 2 years of production, and he gets play in a better situation. e If he chooses not to stay, Boyce would be in a perfect position to step in.

Solid thoughts, Ken. I agree with you, except for the (assumed) optimism surrounding Boyce. I don't share that same feeling, unfortunately.

Between Boyce, Tyms, Dobson, and Wright, the Pats have plenty of young raw talent to develop to go along with Gronk, Edelman, and Lafell. Maybe its time to stop getting wet over every draft and FA WR to come along. Maybe it is time to start to develop the talent we have instead of having to reinvent our receiver corps each year.
I wholeheartedly agree with this position.

In addition, I will puke if the New England Patriots select a wide receiver in the 2015 NFL Draft. The New England Patriots can load up on priority collegiate UDFAs and start developing their own "Amendolas" and "Welkers" on the practice squad.

Herein lies the problem...with the exceptions being Deion Branch, David Givens and JE, over the last 14 years this team has been below average in drafting and developing wide receivers.

Solid thoughts, Ken. I agree with you, except for the (assumed) optimism surrounding Boyce. I don't share that same feeling, unfortunately.
Interesting that you mention Boyce, last season he was on the 46-man roster for 9 games, and he had 9 catches for 121 yards. This season Amendola has been active 9 games and he has 9 catches for 82 yards.

Herein lies the problem...with the exceptions being Deion Branch, David Givens and JE, over the last 14 years this team has been below average in drafting and developing wide receivers.

Don't remind me please.:mad:

I've supported DA as much as anyone on this board, but his production in this offense clearly doesn't support his salary. However I don't think it's entirely his fault. When he signed, it was to play the slot position a la Welker and was expected to get 10 plus targets a game in that kind of offense. Then came the injury. This season he's become an after thought 4th option after Gronk, Edelman, & Lafell, lucky to get 2-3 targets a game. Not only that, the role he was signed to play no longer exists. It looks to me that so far this season, the Pats have tried to get away from those short option routes that Welker ran so often for 6 seasons.e

I still think DA is a quality receiver when given the sufficient number of targets. Unfortunately for him, he's never going to see those kinds of numbers unless someone gets injured. In the end, he will have to know that the Pats won't be able to support his cap number and he will have to choose between taking a significant cut more worthy of his current role, or take a chance at a 1 year "prove it to me" deal for another team that might need him more.

Right on the money.

Interesting that you mention Boyce, last season he was on the 46-man roster for 9 games, and he had 9 catches for 121 yards. This season Amendola has been active 9 games and he has 9 catches for 82 yards.
Point?

Boyce is now our 6th WR, with two producing.

Obviously, we are ecstatic that the patriots signed two WR free agent starters in the last offseason: Edelman and LaFell.

While so many here were fine with Amendola and the kids (and hoped to add Edelman if he wasn't picked up elsewhere), Belichick saw the need to find a starter.

BTW, when we look at #3 WR's under Belichick, I think that often the player does not have a lot of receptions. What is critical is for him to be the right spot when needed, including starting when there is an injury.

BTW, when we look at #3 WR's under Belichick, I think that often the player does not have a lot of receptions. What is critical is for him to be the right spot when needed, including starting when there is an injury.

It seems to depend on a combination of the ability of the WR3 and the status/receiving capabilities of the TE2. Somewhere between 2 and 3 catches per game seems the norm.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Amendola's blocking abilities. I was just re-watching the Broncos game and there was a crucial screen pass to Edelman where Amendola was blocking even before Edelman got the ball (legally, it was at the line of scrimmage) and kept blocking throughout the play, which gained an important first down. He even had a defensive lineman who was chasing the play bounce off him after Edelman was down -- I had to go back and look at that one to see why Number 97 was rolling around on the ground after the play!

I think if you broke down film with Belichick he would point out a lot of such plays where Amendola is doing just what he's supposed to in terms of making other guys successful. That's why he's still on the team. And when everyone else is covered he's been solid with first-down catches, particularly in the Broncos game. Valuable player, overpaid.

There would be probably little to no talk about Amendola if he had the correct structured contract but at the money he is making he is the target.

Point?

Boyce is now our 6th WR, with two producing.

Obviously, we are ecstatic that the patriots signed two WR free agent starters in the last offseason: Edelman and LaFell.

While so many here were fine with Amendola and the kids (and hoped to add Edelman if he wasn't picked up elsewhere), Belichick saw the need to find a starter.
My point is Amendola is less productive in his 9 games playing a similar role than a player who wasn't even good enough to make the 53 man roster. In fact Amendola has played dad more snaps in his 9 games than Boyce did.

Last edited:
Referring to Amendola as the #3 WR who is not expected to have many catches does nothing but highlights the fail.

This is crap anyway because Wright has been more productive in a brand new offense playing 1/3 of the snaps Amendola has.

There would be probably little to no talk about Amendola if he had the correct structured contract but at the money he is making he is the target.

If he had the "correct structured contract", he'd likely have been cut last year. The contract being the contract is probably the reason he's still in New England.

And this is why such arguments should be based on cap savings. The difference in cap hits in this case makes advocating cutting silly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Amendola's blocking abilities. I was just re-watching the Broncos game and there was a crucial screen pass to Edelman where Amendola was blocking even before Edelman got the ball (legally, it was at the line of scrimmage) and kept blocking throughout the play, which gained an important first down. He even had a defensive lineman who was chasing the play bounce off him after Edelman was down -- I had to go back and look at that one to see why Number 97 was rolling around on the ground after the play!

I think if you broke down film with Belichick he would point out a lot of such plays where Amendola is doing just what he's supposed to in terms of making other guys successful. That's why he's still on the team. And when everyone else is covered he's been solid with first-down catches, particularly in the Broncos game. Valuable player, overpaid.

Amendola has always been a very good blocker.

That's not why he's still on the team, though. He's still on the team because of his contract (cheaper to keep him). I like the way he plays. I think if JE goes down for a few games, DA will step right in. he's making way too much money for his role, however.

No way he's here under this contract next year. I just can't see it. He'll likely take a 1-year prove-it deal with someone else. I won't be surprised if he "proves it," either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back