PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you want him to stop targeting the receiver who has caught 80% of his targets with a 14.7 yard per catch average because a couple of stills show that maybe Amendola, Dobson, and LaFell could have made a play.

B6 you know the old saying still pictures say a thousand words. Good thing the Patriots are playing two AFC West Turds the Raiders then Chiefs they could really test the theory that maybe Amendola, Dobson, and LaFell were open.

B6 you know the old saying still pictures say a thousand words. Good thing the Patriots are playing two AFC West Turds the Raiders then Chiefs they could really test the theory that maybe Amendola, Dobson, and LaFell were open.
I am sure that Amendola will have a good game at some point this season, that is his M/O he has 2-3 big games a season and the rest are mediocre or poor.

So you want him to stop targeting the receiver who has caught 80% of his targets with a 14.7 yard per catch average because a couple of stills show that maybe Amendola, Dobson, and LaFell could have made a play.
I want him to go through his progressions properly and find the target with the best chance to turn the catch into something more. Like I said, early reports from those that have watched the film (which is not just this article... McDaniels answered questions about this today, for example) state Brady is not doing that. I can only think of two reasons why that might be. But if this offense is simply going through Edelman or Gronk most of the time, it is a passing offense that could be contained rather easily, even considering how good those two are.

Hello Josh, when did Amendola come up big for the Pats? First or second game of the 2013/14 season? LaFell is not much better. Your play calling is not going to get us a super bowl win with these receivers.

I want him to go through his progressions properly and find the target with the best chance to turn the catch into something more. Like I said, early reports from those that have watched the film (which is not just this article... McDaniels answered questions about this today, for example) state Brady is not doing that. I can only think of two reasons why that might be. But if this offense is simply going through Edelman or Gronk most of the time, it is a passing offense that could be contained rather easily, even considering how good those two are.
Brady has thrown the ball 78 times this season, 15 have gone to Edelman, which is 19%. That is down significantly from 25% last season and the 25-27% that Welker saw in his 6 seasons. I do not think targeting your #1 WR 19% of the time is too much. I just disagree that Brady going to Edelman and Gronkowski is the problem, I think the problem is the fact only 25% of the passes to Amendola and LaFell have been completed for a just 16 yards.

Are you really telling me that on 2nd and 16 you have to get it all?
He ran a 7 yard hook, and got half of it, and if he broke the tackle he goes to the house.
That is what NFL offenses do.

I don't mean any disrespect but you just seem to not understand the passing game concepts. You called the first read a check down. Thats impossible.

I know that was wasn't a check down but if he is first read he shoud have ran a deeper route like 10 to 12 yards. You know football 3rd and 9 is considered long yardarge which generally favors the D. I don't how you could disregard those stills.

Edelman and Gronk are getting almost all the looks. It would help if knew why.

OPTION ONE
Brady ignores who is open and focuses on these two.

OPTION TWO
These two are the first players open in the progression as part of the play called.

I think that Option 2 is clearly true.
===============================

Now the "REAL" question.

Why aren't LeFell, Dobson, Thompkins and Amendola open more often?

OPTION A
Is it the plays called that does not have them high in the progression? If this is true, then the issue, if any, is in the play calling.

OPTION B
Is it because one or more of these players is simply not capable of getting open much? If this is the issue, then the weakest of the group should be inactive. If Tyms is a better choice, then one should be cut or traded and Tyms added to the team. As Option A indicates, one or more players may be counted on too much, and should be lower on the progression and/or on the field less. Many posters that this player is Amendola. I disagree.

=============
MY VIEW

I'm not a fantasy player. The offense has been playing fine, with the obvious need for the OL to continue to improve. For me, we do indeed to have Edelman, Gronkowski, Vereen and the rest. The rest will be higher in the progression as the team deems appropriate.

We have lots of choices at WR. For now, Amendola is the slot receiver, when one is needed. For Josh and Belichick, apparently no one else is better than Amendola is doing the job of slot receiver (except for Edelman who another role. Depending on game plan, I think that we will see a revolving door of the other receivers. My guess is that Dobson will be active as long as he is healthy. So, we will see one or both of Lefell or Thompkins active for the near future. If someone is injured or is failing, perhaps we might also have Tyms or Boyce as options later in the year. My guess is that we won't see them active.

Wow. Talk about a non-denial denial.

Glen Farley @GFarley_ent
#Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels on notion Danny Amendola hasn't earned Tom Brady's trust: "I don’t know anything about that."
I do not think it is that he has not earned Brady’s trust, because he had Brady’s trust, in weeks 1, 5, 8, 9, and 10 Amendola had more targets than any other wide receiver on the Patriots, he missed weeks 2, 3, 4, and 7, and he also left week 6s game with a concussion. Amendola lost Brady’s trust someplace along the line, I am not sure why, but since the misplay at the end of week 15 in Miami Brady has only targeted Amendola 18 times in 6 games.

But if this offense is simply going through Edelman or Gronk most of the time, it is a passing offense that could be contained rather easily, even considering how good those two are.

I thought we had pretty much determined that the Pats passing attack could be shut down late last year. Personally, I'm shocked that nothing has changed with a full roster of healthy receivers and the entire training camp of Brady working with all of them. I have no idea why Brady will only throw to Edelman or Gronk, but it is what it is. And, the Pats offense has been awful to start the season.

Fortunately, I think the Pats D is probably good enough to win with a ground and pound offense that doesn't score much, but doesn't turn the ball over.

This sound familiar... Oh the 2009 season when BB said opposing defense just have to take away Moss and blanket Welker and we screwed. Well, at least the Pats can run the ball this time.

I know that was wasn't a check down but if he is first read he shoud have ran a deeper route like 10 to 12 yards. You know football 3rd and 9 is considered long yardarge which generally favors the D. I don't how you could disregard those stills.
Well you called it a checkdown.
Edelman is pretty wide open.
In any event, the point is you can use screenshots to determine if a QB is favoring a receiver or ignoring another.
Once again, if you do not know his progressions, you have no clue what his thinking is.

Edelman and Gronk are getting almost all the looks. It would help if knew why.

OPTION ONE
Brady ignores who is open and focuses on these two.
No he is not, Edelman is getting 19% of the targets and Gronkowski is getting 22%, so 41% of Brady’s passes go to his 2 best options and 59% are going elsewhere. That is on the low end compared to most QBs and their top 2 targets.

This is a small sample size of what percent of other targets other top WRs are seeing from their QB. Once again, Edelman is seeing 19.02% of Brady’s targets.

Jordy Nelson – 40%
Dez Bryant – 30.3%
Emmanuel Sanders – 29.03%
Jimmy Graham – 28.8%
Steve Smith – 27.47%
Julio Jones – 25.28%
Antonio Brown – 25.3%

Exactly, any Team with the assemblance of a good Defense just have to Double both and let the no-names beat you.

Baloney!

Bill Belichick drafted Glass-IR Dowling in lieu of Randall Cobb or Torrey Smith. For a head coach that values versatility, passing on wide receiver Randall Cobb, one of the last players sitting in the green room during the 2011 NFL Draft, was ludicrous.

I cant argue with anyone over Ras I worst pick in the BB era Dowling there were a lot of not good but great players at position of need that should have been Drafted Stefen Wisniewski, Justin Houston. hell one pick later Aaron Williams went to the bills and is still a pretty good starting CB

Brady has thrown the ball 78 times this season, 15 have gone to Edelman, which is 19%. That is down significantly from 25% last season and the 25-27% that Welker saw in his 6 seasons. I do not think targeting your #1 WR 19% of the time is too much. I just disagree that Brady going to Edelman and Gronkowski is the problem, I think the problem is the fact only 25% of the passes to Amendola and LaFell have been completed for a just 16 yards.

When you have one particular receiver that's getting targetted more than three other guys combined and the team does not have a true #1 wideout that has emerged yet, that is a problem. It's also a big reason why this team has the second worst passing offense in the NFL through two weeks (just better than the mighty Jaguars) in spite of not playing juggernaut defenses.

When you have one particular receiver that's getting targetted more than three other guys combined and the team does not have a true #1 wideout that has emerged yet, that is a problem. It's also a big reason why this team has the second worst passing offense in the NFL through two weeks (just better than the mighty Jaguars) in spite of not playing juggernaut defenses.
As I pointed out in a prior post it is not the reason, Edelman is significantly lower than other top receiving targets in terms of percentage of the QBs throws. During Welker’s tenure he had 26% of Brady’s passes go his way, and we consistently had a top passing attack.

Jordy Nelson – 40%
Dez Bryant – 30.3%
Emmanuel Sanders – 29.03%
Jimmy Graham – 28.8%
Steve Smith – 27.47%
Julio Jones – 25.28%
Antonio Brown – 25.3%

The problem is the lack of plays made by the other receivers when they are targeted, Edelman is the only reason we are not last in passing.

“I don’t think it’s a lack of communication or a lack of being on the same page,” offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said Tuesday. “First of all, we only threw the ball 21 times or whatever it was the other day. And many of those were in two-receiver type settings or came out quick in three-step drops, and a lot of times the coverage dictates where the ball goes.

I don’t think it was a case of Tom [Brady] misreading the coverage or looking even at a specific direction. We have all our guys in the pattern, and Tom is capable of reading the coverage out and throwing it to the right guy, and he does a great job of that. Sometimes that means the ball is going to go certain places more than others, and there is always a place to start with your read. And sometimes, if the guy happens to be open right away, then you don’t need to go any further.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../_/id/4768304/coaches-want-balance-on-offense

It doesn't get much clearer than that, yet people will still be mystified.

If you ask me Amendola is setup to succeed he just is not doing what he has to do to get the ball.

Why would anyone ask you when they can read your 753,000 posts on the subject?

Or when they could look at this:
http://patspub.patsfans.com/2014/09/16/all-22-look-says-brady-not-using-all-his-weapons/

Or read this:
http://bostonherald.com/sports/patr...s_defends_unproductive_danny_amendola_brandon

as others have posted here?

Bottom line, NO ONE IS DISAGREEING WITH YOU regarding Amendola not living up to his contract expectations. You continue to try to make it personal against him, and that's flat-out annoying as all hell. And even when others point out the obvious - if he's open and not targeted, he's still doing his job; if he's in there on running plays and making his blocks, he's still doing what he's being asked to do - you take it personally.

No one is happier that the Pats signed Edelman than I am, or that he's turned into everything we hoped and more. As I've noted before, my grandson is named after the guy, and he's my favorite Patriot.

This hasn't got anything to do with JE or even with DA regarding my concerns, or what each player is making (which is the STUPIDEST Boston-media non-stop argument ever for liking or not liking a player). Players get the best contracts they can manage - of course. And management weighs the cost (and the sunk cost) against replacement value. At this point, I have no doubt that DA will be asked to take a pay cut or be cut after this season, unless something dramatically changes.

I'm more concerned with the bigger implications. Edelman was great in the first half against Miami. They adjusted and he was shut out in the second half. You need more than one WR and a tight end to have the kind of offense that can succeed in the playoffs against good defenses.

Can you find me one article or clip of a decent analyst/sportscaster claiming that DA isn't getting open?

eh..... The "all-22" is becoming the biggest load of crap to hit the football internet since PFF. Ballestrieri's terrible article is an excellent example of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back