PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriosuly doubt anyone here believes they will, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't expect their protection and overall OL play to improve over the course of the season. New coach, new moving pieces, it's not unusual to have some breakdowns, we just need to see improvement over time. And as much as i want them to continue rebuilding their DL a high pick on a top flight guard next season is really in order next draft imo.
From my perspective, the two most glaring needs for the New England Patriots in the 2015 NFL Draft are offensive guard and defensive tackle (Vince Wilfork long term replacement).

Marcus Cannon has more decisive 1on1 wins than any OL on the team in the first 2 weeks, so I do not think he is the problem. I think Devey is a short term thing, until they get Stork up and running.
It was Marcus Cannon who allowed the only sack for the New England Patriots offensive line against the Minnesota Vikings last Sunday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england...768281/patriots-4th-quarter-review-stork-time

3. On the one play in which Brady was sacked, it was left guard Marcus Cannon who couldn’t hold his block as backup defensive tackle Tom Johnson powered through to bring Brady down. It looked like Cannon got too high in his stance after getting pushed back by Johnson’s initial contact.

http://patspub.patsfans.com/2014/09/16/all-22-look-says-brady-not-using-all-his-weapons/

Hate to interrupt the pissing contest, but this article contains screen shots from the All-22 view and the author is coming to the conclusion that Brady is effectively freezing out receivers not named Gronkowski and Edelman. One could make the argument that he's not going through his progressions properly because he either doesn't trust the other WR's, he doesn't trust pass protection to hold up, or both. But these screen shots are pretty compelling evidence that Brady is, at times, forcing the ball to Edelman and Gronk when other options appear to have some real estate in front of them for bigger completions.

Actually its a terrible article and analysis.
He is looking at the all 22 and deciding who is open, as if the QB just sits back and surveys the field and looks at all receivers then picks one out to throw to.
You cannot say a QB isn't looking at a receiver on a specific play unless you know the progressions. If progression 1 is open and progression 3s defender pulls up lame, the QB throws to progression one because he ISNT SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT #3 UNLESS 1 AND 2 AREN'T OPEN

Some of his comments are just silly, such as thinking Brady can pick between 2 receivers running go's on either sideline. The play clearly was desgined to draw the safety to the 3 receiver side, so his first look was the one receiver side and he was open. Ballistreiri expects him to stop and say WAIT Dobson is taller so I should throw toward the coverage.

Wow. Talk about a non-denial denial.

Glen Farley @GFarley_ent
#Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels on notion Danny Amendola hasn't earned Tom Brady's trust: "I don’t know anything about that."

Well the implication of the story is that they are all weapons, but Brady may not view them as weapons, we have seen him shut receivers out in the past like Chad Johnson when he did not feel they were worthy of being included.

When you look at the numbers, why would Brady throw the football to Amendola or LaFell over Edelman? Edelman has been targeted 15 times resulting in 12 catches, which means 80% of the time he catches the football, he has 176 yards, which is 14.7 yards a catch and 11.73 yards a target, Edelman also has 8 first downs and 1 touchdown. Amendola has been targeted 6 times resulting in 3 catches, which is a catch 50% of the time, he has 16 yards, which is 5.3 yards a catch and 2.6 yards per target. LaFell has been targeted 6 times resulting in 0 catches. I look at that and I say keep throwing the ball to the player who catches it and gains nearly 15 yards 80% of the time. Therefore, I am not taking targets from Edelman, because they are productive. That leaves Gronkowski and Dobson, if anything I see those 2 players getting more targets in future weeks.

In short I disagree with the fact that the problem is Brady not using all his “weapons” because in the first 2 weeks Brady’s lack of success has been when he has thrown someplace other than Edelman or Gronkowski for the most part. LaFell and Amendola have been targeted 12 times combined for a total of 3 catches and 16 yards, if they are not doing anything with the targets they are getting now why the hell would Brady give them more.

I would like to see the ball continue to go Edelman’s way because I do not think 7.5 targets a game is a lot, it projects to 120 targets, which would be 30 less than Edelman saw last season. I would also like to see them bring Gronkowski along as they have been, include Dobson more, and incorporate Wright in a 2 TE set.

I'm not sure why you made this long ass post. The still images in the article basically show you proof that Amendola, Dobson, and LaFell got open in the Minnesota game (often for more yards than were gained on the throws that were forced to Edelman or Gronk) but never got a look their way. I've detailed possibly why that may be in that post.

Also, 12 targets for both Amendola and LaFell vs. 15 for Edelman alone doesn't necessarily do much damage to my point or that report.

This is the exact stupidity I've seen displayed on this site for over 3 years now.

These guys on this list are trash compared to real talented top receivers around the league with size and explosiveness. BB has been completely incompetent at finding outside receivers for Tom Brady. I'm surprised that Brady hasn't thrashed this organization through the media especially when Manning gets all types of great players to throw to constantly. Brady took a pay cut all for this organization to slowly take away his weapons and add these poor fill ins. It has hurt his numbers and it was nothing short of amazing that the Pats ended with a 12-4 record last season and almost made it to the SB. That really showed how good Brady was honestly. It was also the reason why they didn't advance to the SB though as well.

THompkins and Dobson both have terrible hands and were leading the league in drops last year before getting hurt, and Lefell was an average receiver on the Panthers who they didn't even feel like deserved to stay there.

what is stupid is crying about were is the size and speed when what you really want to say is why wont BB sign/Draft Calvin Johnson. A. J. Green, Dez Bryant Demaryius Thomas and Julio Jones well because future hall of fame WR's in there prime don't hit the market a whole lot and when they do they don't sign one year contracts they want the long term big upfront money that the pats don't give out to street FA's and you cant Draft one without using a first round pick,

so unless some team is willing to trade the pats a randy moss for a 4th round pick I guess Brady will just have to do with his record setting TE and 1000 yard slot WR oh well I guess we all wasted a fantasy football first round pick on Brady this year

Actually its a terrible article and analysis.
He is looking at the all 22 and deciding who is open, as if the QB just sits back and surveys the field and looks at all receivers then picks one out to throw to.
You cannot say a QB isn't looking at a receiver on a specific play unless you know the progressions. If progression 1 is open and progression 3s defender pulls up lame, the QB throws to progression one because he ISNT SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT #3 UNLESS 1 AND 2 AREN'T OPEN

Some of his comments are just silly, such as thinking Brady can pick between 2 receivers running go's on either sideline. The play clearly was desgined to draw the safety to the 3 receiver side, so his first look was the one receiver side and he was open. Ballistreiri expects him to stop and say WAIT Dobson is taller so I should throw toward the coverage.

I dissagree AJ, in those diagrams Brady had WR's not named Edelman who were getting single one on one coverage with No Safety help behind them. Brady of old would take that everytime over the short stuff. On one of those plays a 2nd and 16 he threw a 7 yard pass to Edelman who had No Chance of getting the FD. Yet again other guys were singled up with little or no Safety help. Seems like Brady has No confidence in throwing anything over15 yards to anybody not named the usual suspects.

what is stupid is crying about were is the size and speed when what you really want to say is why wont BB sign/Draft Calvin Johnson. A. J. Green, Dez Bryant Demaryius Thomas and Julio Jones well because future hall of fame WR's in there prime don't hit the market a whole lot and when they do they don't sign one year contracts they want the long term big upfront money that the pats don't give out to street FA's and you cant Draft one without using a first round pick,

so unless some team is willing to trade the pats a randy moss for a 4th round pick I guess Brady will just have to do with his record setting TE and 1000 yard slot WR oh well I guess we all wasted a fantasy football first round pick on Brady this year

Given that the team could have drafted D. Thomas or D. Bryant, your response probably isn't the strongest rebuttal that could have been made.

Given that the team could have drafted D. Thomas or D. Bryant, your response probably isn't the strongest rebuttal that could have been made.
read the post I said unless you use a first round pick on a WR and I am not saying that the WR's on the team are perfect I think they should have signed steve smith over Lafell but lots of people cry size and speed but they really mean why have they not bring in a super star WR

read the post I said unless you use a first round pick on a WR and I am not saying that the WR's on the team are perfect I think they should have signed steve smith over Lafell but lots of people cry size and speed but they really mean why have they not bring in a super star WR

I read your post. My point stands.

I read your post. My point stands.

I am saying you cant get one without using a #1 an your I guess saying they should have used a first on a WR so we are both right I guess

I dissagree AJ, in those diagrams Brady had WR's not named Edelman who were getting single one on one coverage with No Safety help behind them. Brady of old would take that everytime over the short stuff.
Brady of any time takes the read and throws to the first open progression. You simply cannot take screen shots of a play without knowing the call and progressions and conclude he is excluding someone. Its silly.

On one of those plays a 2nd and 16 he threw a 7 yard pass to Edelman who had No Chance of getting the FD. Yet again other guys were singled up with little or no Safety help. Seems like Brady has No confidence in throwing anything over15 yards to anybody not named the usual suspects.

Edelman was the irst read, in single coverage and wide open. He HAS to throw that pass, thats the offense.

I am saying you cant get one without using a #1 an your I guess saying they should have used a first on a WR so we are both right I guess
Baloney!

Bill Belichick drafted Glass-IR Dowling in lieu of Randall Cobb or Torrey Smith. For a head coach that values versatility, passing on wide receiver Randall Cobb, one of the last players sitting in the green room during the 2011 NFL Draft, was ludicrous.

I'm not sure why you made this long ass post. The still images in the article basically show you proof that Amendola, Dobson, and LaFell got open in the Minnesota game (often for more yards than were gained on the throws that were forced to Edelman or Gronk) but never got a look their way. I've detailed possibly why that may be in that post.

Also, 12 targets for both Amendola and LaFell vs. 15 for Edelman alone doesn't necessarily do much damage to my point or that report.
So you want him to stop targeting the receiver who has caught 80% of his targets with a 14.7 yard per catch average because a couple of stills show that maybe Amendola, Dobson, and LaFell could have made a play.

Brady of any time takes the read and throws to the first open progression. You simply cannot take screen shots of a play without knowing the call and progressions and conclude he is excluding someone. Its silly.

Edelman was the irst read, in single coverage and wide open. He HAS to throw that pass, thats the offense.

If that's the Offense as you say why ddin't the first read or Edelman run closer to the sticks? Based on down and distance your Top gun shouldn't be running a check down route. That was 2nd and 16 he got 7 yards...I am sure more times that not 3 and 9 doesn't favor the offense. If that's the Offense as you say its not hard the see why it is struggling.

If that's the Offense as you say why ddin't the first read or Edelman run closer to the sticks? Based on down and distance your Top gun shouldn't be running a check down route. That was 2nd and 16 he got 7 yards...I am sure more times that not 3 and 9 doesn't favor the offense. If that's the Offense as you say its not hard the see why it is struggling.
Are you really telling me that on 2nd and 16 you have to get it all?
He ran a 7 yard hook, and got half of it, and if he broke the tackle he goes to the house.
That is what NFL offenses do.

I don't mean any disrespect but you just seem to not understand the passing game concepts. You called the first read a check down. Thats impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back