PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

am i wrong or this draft is VERY important for the Pats ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsFanInVa said:
Feep, I agree that the best thing is to ease them in. I also agree that will happen, for the most part, especially with Gator-Aid. But with Kool-Aid that's dependent on Corey's staying healthy. I don't know that we get 16 games from Dillon from here on out - we shall see. In fact, if we do, it's because Kool Aid spells him for 5-10 carries a game, and that's in addition to Faulk's third-down role. The only thing I see as forcing Kool-Aid on the field in the starting role early, is the injury factor. Could happen.

The upside to that is, if there's any position where you can thrive early, it's running back. You don't hear about third year RBs hitting their stride (like you do with third year receivers,) because much of the job (ironically called a "skill position,") revolves around natural talents, not learned skills.

Me, I'd like to see Corey stay healthy all year, with Kool-Aid playing Larry Johnson, ca. 2004. Especially if we end up with Larry Johnson ca. 2005, come 2007.

PFnV
Cant wait for the LOMo express baby!

italianpatthepatriot said:
pats1 my friend...you will see...

Let me reiterate:

He is a ROOKIE.

He is playing in the PATRIOTS' SYSTEM.

He was drafted because of the AGE of Dillon and Faulk - NOT to become an IMMEDIATE STARTER.

He is more of a DEVELOPMENTAL pick who will get MENTORING from Dillon.

He does not need to step in to start at any HOLE at his position.

He will start at THIRD on the depth chart and it will be difficult to work his way up this year because of the ESTABLISHED VETERANS ahead of him.

Last edited:
Pats1, I hope you're right, basically.

However, I do see Maroney spelling Dillon regardless of what the depth chart says, a few carries a game from the outset or "almost" the outset. Beyond that I've seen Faulk as a full-game injury fill-in, and it's usually not pretty.

Don't pop a vein or anything. I'm not hoping for this to happen. I'm just a Pats fan from too way back to think injuries are "freak" occurences. They happen with nasty and annoying regularity to the Pats. We could see some Lo Money this year, whether we want to or not.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
Pats1, I hope you're right, basically.

However, I do see Maroney spelling Dillon regardless of what the depth chart says, a few carries a game from the outset or "almost" the outset. Beyond that I've seen Faulk as a full-game injury fill-in, and it's usually not pretty.

Don't pop a vein or anything. I'm not hoping for this to happen. I'm just a Pats fan from too way back to think injuries are "freak" occurences. They happen with nasty and annoying regularity to the Pats. We could see some Lo Money this year, whether we want to or not.

PFnV

If Dillon goes down with another injury, I bet we'll see Maroney starting while keeping Faulk in his 3rd down role and Pass as the FB.

If Faulk goes down with another injury, I bet we'll see Maroney simply stepping up into his role.

If Pass goes down with another injury, the necessity to have that 5th back spot comes into play, where Mills would be on paper the FB, but the offense would have to play a bit more spread/single back.

pats1 said:
Let me reiterate:

He is a ROOKIE.

He was drafted because of the AGE of Dillon and Faulk - NOT to become an IMMEDIATE STARTER.

He will start at THIRD on the depth chart and it will be difficult to work his way up this year because of the ESTABLISHED VETERANS ahead of him.
He will be an impact player--As our Kick Returner on Special Teams. This kid is explosive and he's not a smurf. No kicker is going to lower a shoulder and cause him to fumble.

PS-My prediction is that he will be the starter by the end of the year.

Last edited:
All drafts are important. Ask Pete Carroll. Bobby Grier transformed

the Patriots from a good team to a lousy one by three years of terrible

drafts.

maroney, jackson, thomas, mills

pats1 said:
Let me reiterate:
He is a ROOKIE.
IMHO a running back drafted in the 1st round, #21 overall, is expected to 'contribute' immediately. i'l like to see him finish the year with about 100 carries and 20-30 receptions. returns? i have no clue.
IMHO a WR for whom BB/SP traded picks to move up and take is expected to contribute this year. in the offensive system we've seen for the past few years, we should expect a talented WR to have a goodly number of balls thrown his way. i don't know about #2 or #3 WR, any more than what roles reche caldwell, beth-el, and/or pk sam will play. but i'd be disappointed if jackson didn't make more than a few big catches this year. if he can return kicks, i'd expect to see a 20-25 yd average on kickoffs, and 10-12 yds on punts. 3 or 4 TDs on receptions and returns in '06.
then a breakout in '07. to me those are reasonab;le expectations for a big, fast WR, one of the top 50 players in the draft. less than that, and IMO he wasn't worth trading up to get.
to be honest, thomas and mills really interest me. they are receiver-types. IMHO one of the two should turn out to be a good 'tweener, too fast for LBs and too big for DBs. should be good at working the middle of the field, clock-killers. big hopes there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents