PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

am i wrong or this draft is VERY important for the Pats ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
all drafts are very important but i think today's draft is particularly VERY important for us.

we absolutely need two impact players with # 21 and # 52 - they must become immediately two starters.

last draft was not bad too (see Hobbs, Kaczur and Mankins) but i hope we will do something good also today.

let's see but i hope in a strong draft for our loved Pats.

i would like in the first 3 rounds:

1st : cb
2nd : wr
3a : lb
3b : rb

Go Pats !

Why do they immediately need to become impact starters?

No football team is ever perfect. Every draft is important, but this year isn't any more important.

Any contributiopns by rookies is a plus, but not expected.

pats1 said:
Why do they immediately need to become impact starters?

due to the fact i would like to have:
1 : CB
2 : WR
3 : LB
3b : RB

i would like to see the first two become starters. why not ?

patsfan13 said:
No football team is ever perfect. Every draft is important, but this year isn't any more important.

Any contributiopns by rookies is a plus, but not expected.

last year we could not complain...seee Hobbs, Mankins and Kaczur.

let's hope in a strong draft today too.

OK, why not, indeed?

But do we need starters? Well, we certainly need someone to come in for Givens. Beyond that, I think it all depends where injury hits. I wouldn't worry if we had Samuel, Gay and Hobbs playing at their best. I'd be really concerned if we lost Branch, Wilfork or a starting linebacker -- not to mention our quarterback. So let's hope they stay healthy.

Relax and enjoy this afternoon -- we have the best coach in the NFL and he is giving the draft his full attention.

Mike the Brit said:
OK, why not, indeed?

But do we need starters? Well, we certainly need someone to come in for Givens. Beyond that, I think it all depends where injury hits. I wouldn't worry if we had Samuel, Gay and Hobbs playing at their best. I'd be really concerned if we lost Branch, Wilfork or a starting linebacker -- not to mention our quarterback. So let's hope they stay healthy.

Relax and enjoy this afternoon -- we have the best coach in the NFL and he is giving the draft his full attention.

with BB and SP i am 100% sure about it and i am optimistic - we will be fine.

italianpatthepatriot said:

Hobbs and Kaczur only started because of injuries. You draft for depth.

That's the exception to the rule though - you could have the best draft in history and not know it until 2-3 years later

I like to think that one can find a combination of "best player" and "addressing a need" and with the 1st round pick. All other picks I deem as developmental.

Some guys will develop midway through their first season, others by year 2 and others in year 3.

Ultimately this draft is most important in how it affects us 2-3 years from now.

JoeSixPat said:
Some guys will develop midway through their first season, others by year 2 and others in year 3.

so let's hope Marquise Hill will develop soon

Lb
Wr
S
Rb

ItalianPat, I agree with you. Starters don't really matter, but the Pats are in transition and need talent at LB, CB, WR, RB, safety, OL?

They can fill some depth through F.A. also, but a good draft will set them up for years.

The youth movement at LB is non existent, while they appear to be very luck with young low priced DBs.

Handel said:
Lb
Wr
S
Rb

Didn't mean to duplicate. Loved your "Water Music" by the way.:D

i think at the end we took at the first 2 picks two impact players

i was right

i think at the end we took at the first 2 picks two impact players

i was right

Maroney won't be an immediate impact player. Jackson wil likely start the year at the #3/4 WR and work his way up to #2.

pats1 said:
Maroney won't be an immediate impact player. Jackson wil likely start the year at the #3/4 WR and work his way up to #2.

pats1 my friend...you will see...

Mike the Brit said:
--- we have the best coach in the NFL and he is giving the draft his full attention.

Ain't that the truth.

I believe this was a very good draft..... Better than, more impact than last year? The year before that? And so on and so on........ Maybe, only time will tell. Maroney and Jackson impact players (starters) this year? I doubt it and that would be unwise..... Contribute and make plays? Yep, sure they will. Best thing for Kool-Aid & Gator-Aid is to be eased in gradually and intelligently. That will increase their productivity for years to come. Nothing worse than trying to force production out of rookies right of of the gate in game 1...... IMHO

Unless your team is owned by Dan Snyder the draft is always important.

Feep_FLA said:
I believe this was a very good draft..... Better than, more impact than last year? The year before that? And so on and so on........ Maybe, only time will tell. Maroney and Jackson impact players (starters) this year? I doubt it and that would be unwise..... Contribute and make plays? Yep, sure they will. Best thing for Kool-Aid & Gator-Aid is to be eased in gradually and intelligently. That will increase their productivity for years to come. Nothing worse than trying to force production out of rookies right of of the gate in game 1...... IMHO

Feep, I agree that the best thing is to ease them in. I also agree that will happen, for the most part, especially with Gator-Aid. But with Kool-Aid that's dependent on Corey's staying healthy. I don't know that we get 16 games from Dillon from here on out - we shall see. In fact, if we do, it's because Kool Aid spells him for 5-10 carries a game, and that's in addition to Faulk's third-down role. The only thing I see as forcing Kool-Aid on the field in the starting role early, is the injury factor. Could happen.

The upside to that is, if there's any position where you can thrive early, it's running back. You don't hear about third year RBs hitting their stride (like you do with third year receivers,) because much of the job (ironically called a "skill position,") revolves around natural talents, not learned skills.

Me, I'd like to see Corey stay healthy all year, with Kool-Aid playing Larry Johnson, ca. 2004. Especially if we end up with Larry Johnson ca. 2005, come 2007.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference