PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All we have to do to win Superbowl L is......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if Siliga is a starter on most lines in the league, his next contract should be huge, since it's hard to get quality starters at that position, so we'll see. My guess is he's offered depth player money and happy to get it.
could be only we know what three other teams missed. usually, they don't miss on dominating big guys, because that's hard to miss.

I think you're still exaggerating the point. Even if he's a starter on a little more than half the league, that still doesn't put him much higher than 40th or 50th in the league. I'm guessing that's somewhere around $3mm a year, which sounds reasonable to me.

Since we know they grabbed a good one without having to trade up, I'd like to address what i think was some sort of delusional thinking that we were set at DT despite losing Wilfork. Branch and Siliga are depth and Easley is potential if healthy. Wilfork, even old and coming off injury, is much better than the first two and we would have needed to weaken the rest of our defense to scheme to fill that gap.

This is a great pick in that this guy at least has the potential to fill some of that void, while also having penetration upside.

To take it one step further, Siliga is attempting to come off a fairly serious offseason surgery, so he's no sure thing at this particular moment in time. I want to say that it was a foot injury that required surgery sometime in the first week following the SB. Hopefully, we'll get some type of positive indication regarding his recovery process at some point, and he'll be ready for training camp.

I think he is a hard working player. I don't think he metamorhphasized into an all pro just because he wasn't awful in a year when our line was terrible. Chris Jones was as good too, does that make him equal to a 1st round pick?

Nothing against siliga, but i think Belichick is pretty happy for this pick and not because he thought we had a great DL already.

I've gone back and forth on this topic with Andy Johnson several times. I agree with you that although Siliga has been a welcome addition and a productive value pickup, the context of the poorer quality of DL also needs to be taken into account. I see him as a rotational player. Others point out the fact that he started as some kind of future indicator.

When Chris Jones, a rookie battling injuries both new and old (Easley), and other JAGs such as Branch are in the mix, it was hard for me to take the idea of "we're set at DL" seriously.

As noted during the draft, New England has taken the lowest amount of DTs in the first 3 rounds in the entire league, based on the past 5 years. It was definitely time to take a DT, and hopefully Brown pays off.

When Chris Jones, a rookie battling injuries both new and old (Easley), and other JAGs such as Branch are in the mix, it was hard for me to take the idea of "we're set at DL" seriously.

I'm much higher on Siliga than either of you, but I still had DT as a prime first round target based on need. Who thought DT was all set?

I'm much higher on Siliga than either of you, but I still had DT as a prime first round target based on need. Who thought DT was all set?

Not trying to bad mouth him or Branch, it's apparent we're going for affordable wide bodies and more explosive players to hopefully be dominating. In other words, not directly replacing Wilfork, but covering the roles.

Just saying that starting makes someone a starter, but it doesn't make them a premier player. Tommy Kelly was an undrafted FA DT who became dominant, but it's rarer there than about any position. Most huge athletic guys with the right stuff get more than a second look.

To take it one step further, Siliga is attempting to come off a fairly serious offseason surgery, so he's no sure thing at this particular moment in time. I want to say that it was a foot injury that required surgery sometime in the first week following the SB. Hopefully, we'll get some type of positive indication regarding his recovery process at some point, and he'll be ready for training camp.

To be fair, Siliga got stuck in traffic, but it could be his foot. I was a little shocked how easily Branch got handled. Hopefully a new camp and new blood will light as fire under his ass.

It has been suggested even after the loss of Wilfork, with some referring to Siliga/Branch/Easley/Jones as adequate enough to handle the inside duties, with Sheard, Ninkovich, and Chandler Jones as 2/3 of the DEs.

I'm with you, and even when Wilfork was still here felt that DT was a need in the top 2-3 rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back