PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All things considered…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: All things considered…

I want slants to Moss and Gaffney on the move. I want Maroney shifting into motion from the backfield and catching a quick slant as a slot receiver. I want to see a trips formation with Moss as the inside receiver who then runs a long corner route.

I want to see the Patriots cheerleaders naked.

My bad. Wrong Forum.

Good Post.

I would like to see more rollouts for Cassel too. Remember SB38 when we were going up against that Carolina front 4, Charlie rolled Brady out a few times and it helped for 2 big pass plays. Might help our struggling O-line to try that. When is Neal expected back anyways?

Last edited:

I think if you're going to critique someone you should first make an effort to spell their name correctly...just sayin'..

For some reason, Moe, I have continuously misspelled players names for years....and I don't know why. ;)

Bill talked about Matt at some length today. Mentioned among other things his accuracy on all the throws. I think Bill assumes all players can improve from week to week in season, even grizzled veterans. He likes what he sees in Cassel. And while it might make sense in hindsight to have him zipping around to avoid the rush, that's not what we want a developing QB to be doing here in a timing offense. Because 99% of them lose accuracy once flushed out of the pocket, not to mention in abandoning the pocket their field is reduced often in half. That's why we succeeded against Martz QB again yesterday even though we only sacked him once - we disrupted the timing of his offense and cut his field of play in half (once the defense figured out aggressive was the best course)..

this is a good point. Matt's lack of pocket presence exists, but it is perfectly understandable. Coaching can improve it, but the biggest factors are EXPERIENCE and INSTINCT. the Former you can get by playing the game, the latter you either have or you don't

I think Matt's own pocket presence will develop as well over time...as did Brady's. People forget that Tom didn't come out of the womb a finished product - just capable of developing exponentially. And even he looked like he had no pocket presence last February because when your OL flat out folds pocket presence and 50 cents won't get you a cup of coffee... There were those then who wailed that Brady should have been rolled out - but gimpy ankle aside, he's not comfortable throwing on the fly because he's been developed and is by nature a pocket passer whose mechanics matter and whose accuracy is what makes teams pay.

Brady's inate ability to move around and by time in the pocket was visible from the start of his career and only improved as he became more experienced and comfortable in the offense. You are correct in your comment about the superbowl

Pocket prescence isnt that easy to teach. Its sort of a feeling comparable to a running backs "vision" you either have it or you dont.

Qbs have to "feel" the rush (while looking down field and make progressions) and know when to slide or step up.

Cassell has absolutley no feel whatsoever in the pocket, he bashed in o-linemen left and right and waits to long to either slide or step up.

We will be in serious trouble if the o-line plays poorly (see miami game). The blue print to stop him is very easy.

Last edited:

Brady's inate ability to move around and by time in the pocket was visible from the start of his career and only improved as he became more experienced and comfortable in the offense. You are correct in your comment about the superbowl

That would explain his 41 sacks (on 10% of his attempts) in 2001, not to mention the 7 sack game he endured against Buffalo several weeks into his succession...

It's a process even for the GOAT's...

Re: All things considered….

When I was watching the 49ers game, it seemed like the games of old. The game being very much in doubt for the first quarter, then something happens and the Patriots get a little separation, then it gets a little wider and a little wider.

My biggest negative for Cassel from last game was the INTs. Two in a postseason game and you are pretty much done unless your defense gets at least that many. He has 12 games to improve so lets see how it goes. I'm excited.

After watching Cassel throw mostly short passes with very few looks down the field the last couple of weeks, I was more than happy to take a couple of Ints if it meant establishing a downfield threat in return.

The playcalling (or Cassels choice of where to throw) has been far too conservative and predictable. We needed to establish a downfield threat in order to open things up.

I was far more happy with this game than any other this season.

Re: All things considered….

Oddly enough, Dan Fouts specifically commended Cassel's pocket presence during the game. He was generally complementary of Cassel, pointing out some mistakes commen to young QBs, but speaking well of him thoughout the game. As ball washers go, Fouts seems to be fairly objective and less likely to blow smoke then most color men.

Steve Young also gave Cassel a backhanded complement saying that Cassel, more than O'Sullivan, needs to focus on his own career. I translated that to mean Young thought Cassel was going to have more career opportunities from this season than O'Sullivan. Then again, Young has never left me feeling warm and fuzzy after watching his self-righteous antics on ESPN.

Well, it's like they say:

"Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions".

Considering the actual amount of playing time the young man has, I am more than happy with what I've seen so far. I would like it to be better, but that's just not realistic to expect. With time, Cassel will be a solid journeyman QB, and might even blossom in another system. Only time will tell, but so far, I have few complaints.

Respects,

….this was not a significant win for the Pats. Not that ANY win isn’t significant, but it still doesn’t give us, the fans, a real clue as to how good or bad this team will end up being. Just like the preseason, this team is pretty much still a mystery. Based on yesterday’s performance we can just a easily see this as a serious playoff contender, or a team that could run off 3 or 4 losses in a row. Here are some of my specific thoughts

I agree Ken. I think the next four weeks will tell us what kind of team we have.

I'm going to assume we beat the Rams at home (of course I was assuming we were going to beat Miami at home).

So in the next four games we're looking at the following. These teams all have flaws, some more than others, but it's obviously a much much better gague of the club than the first four games.

@ San Diego
v Denver
v Rams
@ Indy

4-0, we might be the AFC favorites.
3-1, excellent shape
2-2, still decent shape in the division
1-3, could still win the division, would show we are a cut below the top teams in the AFC.
0-4, problem

I agree Ken. I think the next four weeks will tell us what kind of team we have.

I'm going to assume we beat the Rams at home (of course I was assuming we were going to beat Miami at home).

So in the next four games we're looking at the following. These teams all have flaws, some more than others, but it's obviously a much much better gague of the club than the first four games.

@ San Diego
v Denver
v Rams
@ Indy

3-1, excellent shape
1-3, could still win the division, would show we are a cut below the top teams in the AFC.
0-4, problem

Going off of that....lets see...IMO.....

@ San Diego....Win probable
v Denver....going to be a tough game....loss probable....
v Rams....Win....
@ Indy....Win probable...

So 3-1 Excellent Shape....

At the beginning of the season there were only five games that were considered to be problematical. We play 3 of those games in the next four. Anything better than 1-3 is extremely encouraging, IMHO. With Cassel's and the rookies inexperience, 0-4 would even be OK, provided that they were not outclassed.

This will be a completely different Team in 8 - 10 games, like most Belichick teams usually are, that constantly improve as the season goes on.

2-2 is wonderful and anything else is superb...:D

@ San Diego
v Denver
v Rams
@ Indy

3-1, excellent shape
0-4, problem

@SD playing the way they are, we have a shot at a W
Denver is here at home, another shot
Rams is a game we should win (see Miami)
@Indy will be tough; my concern is our passing D & Addai keeps us honest

I'd be thrilled with 2-2 but would not give up hope even at 0-4 depending on the details. I also agree that a BB team improves as the season progresses, especially with so many young players potentially emerging as contributors.

@Indy will be tough; my concern is our passing D & Addai keeps us honest
We do have an advantage, Indy will be home in their new Choke-***** Oil Stadium. :singing:

We do have an advantage, Indy will be home in their new Choke-***** Oil Stadium. :singing:

Amazing how much 'quieter' the new diggs are, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back