PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All the Patriots cuts merged mega thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When does BJGE go public with the incriminating pictures he has of Kraft?

Are you mad BJGE is on the team or the fact of 5 RBs?

BJGE is a ST player and RB depth for the AARP clan and Mr. Glass.

I would have preferred 4 RBs but o well.

Are you mad BJGE is on the team or the fact of 5 RBs?

BJGE is a ST player and RB depth for the AARP clan and Mr. Glass.

I would have preferred 4 RBs but o well.

Not mad, but surprised that BJGE is on the team. I root for the guy, but like you I would have preferred 4 RBs. I als would have preferred a real fullback instead of a 5th ball carrier. It would be nice to have someone plow through the line to create a hole on 3rd/4th and short.

Like most of us, it appears that BB and Co. didn't like what they saw in the back-up offensive linemen. Burgess is no surprise. We got raped in that trade. Aiken and Woods surprised me. Both are good special teamers. Woods is good OLB depth and is a knowledgable back-up. Wouldn't be surprised to see Brown on the practice squad. Same thing for Farnham. I'd expect Jenkins to end up on a team mesmerized by speed (Raiders?). As for the rest of them, good luck in you endeavors.

Third- and fifth-round draft choices to get Burgess , but not as bad as what Josh McDaniels and Parcells did .... :D

Josh McDaniels, head coach, Denver: I presume he's the guy behind trading away a first-round pick for defensive back Alphonso Smith in the 2009 draft. Well, this just in: He dumped Smith for tight end Dan Gronkowski which means ... you spent a first-round draft pick on a tight end who was the 255th draft pick -- or next to last -- and who didn't fit in with the Lions, who cut him twice. Great. I also presume McDaniels was the genius behind signing defensive lineman Jarvis Green to that four-year, $20 million deal. It made sense because McDaniels and Green were on the same side in New England, so McDaniels had the book on the guy. Only he must have had the wrong one. Memo to McDaniels: Stick to coaching and leave personnel to somebody, anybody, else.

The Miami Dolphins: Barely a year after they made quarterback Pat White a second-round draft pick and wide receiver Patrick Turner a third-round choice, they cut both of them. That’s a knock at the team’s scouting department in general and executive VP Bill Parcells in particular. You don’t waste second and third-rounders on one-year flyers. No matter how you look at it, this looks bad for the Tuna.

Source: Winners and losers: Sizing up rosters on NFL cutdown day - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Nick K. not being put on IR is a surprise to me. I thought for sure his back would be season ending or so far into the season that he would not be worth a roster spot.

But now I'm thinking he'll be back just before or just after the bye week.

Dude, if you put it that way, then of course there's no way we can question BB or any HC in any pro sports for that matter. I'm only assessing what I see on the field during games and in highlights/film breakdown that ESPN or NFL Network may show. There's no question BB has more data than any of us but having more data doesn't necessarily mean making the right decision. There may be salary implications (Aikens costing more than Slater), and personal feelings (Slater may have endeared BB because of his hard work). Who really knows what the thought process was, but based on what I've seen, Slater is useless unless you want someone to run full speed into somebody else.
No, its not that you can't question anything, its that you cant question anything without a reasonable argument and be taken seriously.
When Bill Belichick cuts Aiken and keeps Slater and you say "Aiken is better than Slater" and give no explanation why, or in what role you see him better, or anything you look like a bufoon.
If your argument was that you think that at some point the 53rd player on the roster, who is being kept solely for special teams, will need to contribute on offense or defense, or if you think that Aikens experience is important, or just anything with any fact to it, you could possibly be taken seriously. As it is, you sound like you are crying because you like the guy cut and dont like the guy kept for some odd reasons.

To say that what you saw on TV or ESPN is even 2% of the necessary information to evaluate a special teams player is silly. There is no way you can evaluate a st guy from TV film, even if you tried to focus on him, and st players, except for returnmen arent being shown or analyzed on ESPN.

I know you think that since Slater f-ed up a kick return once, he should be banished from the team, but it doesnt work that way. Returning kicks is not the skill that has him on the team. The skills are being the gunner on the punt team, playing a key role on the kickoff team, blocking on the punt return and kickoff return team, and to a small extent having the ability to play in an emergency situation on both sides of the ball.

If you want to be taken seriously, make an actual fact based argument. If you want to be seen as throwing a temper tantrum because you wish another guy made the team, carry on.

I think Maroney is the last remaining scapegoat we have now. Aikens cut, Watson is gone, Seymour traded. Woods and Alexander were minor offenders. I guess Sanders and Slater can take some heat of off LoMo from time to time.

Let's not forget Whilite....:D

Not mad, but surprised that BJGE is on the team. I root for the guy, but like you I would have preferred 4 RBs. I als would have preferred a real fullback instead of a 5th ball carrier. It would be nice to have someone plow through the line to create a hole on 3rd/4th and short.

A fullback would be helpful, for sure. That said, the Pats have to go this way since health should, and I think will, be an issue with this group yet again.

The offense does not concern me. The Defense is a huge concern. This is the first time in a very long time that I go into the season expecting bad things. The defense will get better, but the growing pains will hurt and I am not sure the offense can carry the defense every single game.

The Pats got raped in the Burgess deal. The Raiders got raped in the Moss deal. The pats got screwed with the phantom roughing call in '76. The Raiders got tucked. It remains to be seen how the Seymour deal pans out - but it 'aint looking good so far especially since the Raiders defense is - um - better than ours and hey - there may not be football next year.

A fullback would be helpful, for sure. That said, the Pats have to go this way since health should, and I think will, be an issue with this group yet again.

The offense does not concern me. The Defense is a huge concern. This is the first time in a very long time that I go into the season expecting bad things. The defense will get better, but the growing pains will hurt and I am not sure the offense can carry the defense every single game.

The Pats got raped in the Burgess deal. The Raiders got raped in the Moss deal. The pats got screwed with the phantom roughing call in '76. The Raiders got tucked. It remains to be seen how the Seymour deal pans out - but it 'aint looking good so far especially since the Raiders defense is - um - better than ours and hey - there may not be football next year.
Wait a minute.
The Raider defense that ranked 26th in yards and 23rd in points last year (to our 11th and 5th) is now better than ours? Based on what?

Wait a minute.
The Raider defense that ranked 26th in yards and 23rd in points last year (to our 11th and 5th) is now better than ours? Based on what?

The eye test, AndyJ. Granted, I only watched them twice last year.

I understand you are a pom-pom swinging Pats fan, and good for you, but can you really tell me you feel optimistic about this years defensive squad?

I understand you are a pom-pom swinging Pats fan, and good for you, but can you really tell me you feel optimistic about this years defensive squad?
Eye test? They haven't played a game.

Aside from your obvious attempt to deflect the ignorance of your argumnet by demeaning me, what else you got?

Oh, you watched the defense that was one of the worst 5-10 twice last year, and think its good. Sweet.

Wait a minute, are you saying they were better LAST YEAR?????????? Wow. Just wow.

Nah, its just what a lot of this board is.
We had a poor pre-season game while we are making personell changes, so that has to mean we have the worst defense in the NFL.

Can't argue with the vaunted eye test over a two game sample.

Eye test? They haven't played a game.

Aside from your obvious attempt to deflect the ignorance of your argumnet by demeaning me, what else you got?

Oh, you watched the defense that was one of the worst 5-10 twice last year, and think its good. Sweet.

Wait a minute, are you saying they were better LAST YEAR?????????? Wow. Just wow.

What else do I have? You're usually wrong with all of your predictions, that's what I have. I hope you are right....really, I do....but you a bit of a homer. Yes, I can be a bit of a pessimist. Listen, this defense scares the sh*t out of me. I know it was just pre-season, and I know it was vanilla, but there appeared to be an experience/talent void. I'm hoping it's just experience.

I feel very optimistic about what I saw in the first preseason game when they lined Murrell on the outside. He crushed the edge and was a solid presence in stuffing the run. We dominated NO in the first half.

And that's the lineup we'll see in the regular season.

Nah, its just what a lot of this board is.
We had a poor pre-season game while we are making personell changes, so that has to mean we have the worst defense in the NFL.

The pre-season games don't really bother me, but the injuries scare me. It's going to be a very interesting season, I think.

What else do I have? You're usually wrong with all of your predictions, that's what I have. I hope you are right....really, I do....but you a bit of a homer. Yes, I can be a bit of a pessimist. Listen, this defense scares the sh*t out of me. I know it was just pre-season, and I know it was vanilla, but there appeared to be an experience/talent void. I'm hoping it's just experience.
How am I usually wrong with most of my predictions? I have been very optimistic ever since BB arrived. Guess what I was overly pessimistic before he did. How did that work out for me? The Patriots just completed the most successful decade in the NFL and one of the 3 best decades in NFL history, and you are telling me that my position as having among the highest expecatations of them makes me usually wrong? Are you nuts?

It is very reasonable to be concerned about the defense, because we have made a lot of personnel changes. But to decide based on a half of preseason football that the defense, you know the one that has ranked, 5,8,4,2,17,2,1,17,6,17 in points allowed in the last 10 years since this coach took over, is ignorant.
Yes, I am optimistic because I believe in Belichick. That has made me right more often than most around here.
But for you to just throw the defense into the bottom 5 because of a meaningless preseason game is stupid. Worse, you have nothing to back it up, other than it apparently makin you feel better to take a whining, the sky is falling approach.

The pre-season games don't really bother me, but the injuries scare me. It's going to be a very interesting season, I think.
Sure there is reason to be concerned.
But, come on. This is Bill Belichicks defense. If you come to me and say, wow, with all this inexperience it may be very average, I'd think you have a reasonable concern. But to say it will be one of the worst defenses in the league is just not paying attention.
Lets call it as bad as any BB defense in NE to date. That would put it 17th in points allowed.

Sure there is reason to be concerned.
But, come on. This is Bill Belichicks defense. If you come to me and say, wow, with all this inexperience it may be very average, I'd think you have a reasonable concern. But to say it will be one of the worst defenses in the league is just not paying attention.
Lets call it as bad as any BB defense in NE to date. That would put it 17th in points allowed.

Sure, we shouldn't judge it too harshly yet. Hey, it could be one of the best at the end of the season. Who knows?

Not that it matters, but this is the most concerned I can remember being about one of the Pats' units since 2002. I guess the most recent similarity was the 2006 offense.

Edit: I liked what I saw from the D against NO and ATL, and that got me excited for the season. The injuries to Bodden and Ty Warren have dampered that. Cannot wait to see the offense, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back