PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All the Patriots cuts merged mega thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to me that only FOUR starters from 2009 are going to be starting next week........., tbc/mayo/merriweather and big vince.

Cuts, IR & rookies changing things all up.

Five if you count Butler (as he did start 5 games last year).
Wright started 9 games.

Then why did BB keep him?

Who knows? Why did BB keep Woods and Alexander all these years? Were they ever impact ST guys? Why did we trade David Thomas? There's been a slew of personnel decisions BB's made the past couple of years that can be questioned. Of course, that's not allowed here so what's the point.;)

The injection of youth into the Pats should be a blessing in the long run. Let's hope that the 20 rookies and second year guys on the roster are up to the task of carrying on the recent tradition of winning. First priority...win the division games...:rocker:

Slater is a kick-ass lead blocker on PR because of his speed. He has no regard for his own body. Therefore his value on ST is greater than that of Aiken because Aiken is easily replaceable. Read: Chung.
Sorry..but Chung can not replace Aiken in all ways..he MAY be able to play Aiken's positions BUT 1---If he's playing D he can NOT spend the time needed with the ST units..WHICH is what is needed...and 2---second year in the league..he lacks ST experience..EXPERIENCE that is needed in an ST Captain..to be able to SEE and KNOW much..Again..if Chung was NOT part of the starting D, then he could devote the time to STs...It's that simple..a LOT of St is preparation and film work and playing D takes time away...so READ THAT!!
I agree Slater is a skilled ST player although I think NOT as a returner..but there are other jobs needed BESIDES that and he is GREAT at those.

Bottom line, he made the team. Congratulations to him. Now if he just shows up tomorrow, can play OLB, and look like Demarcus Ware, we'll all love him.

If he can show up tomorrow, play ANY position, not completely suck at it, and not absorb highlight reel hits while running straight forward into a pile then I'll love him.

Who knows? Why did BB keep Woods and Alexander all these years? Were they ever impact ST guys? Why did we trade David Thomas? There's been a slew of personnel decisions BB's made the past couple of years that can be questioned. Of course, that's not allowed here so what's the point.;)
I dont know how you can say questioning Belichick and/or making negative comments isnt allowed when the board is dominated by it.

You are free to have whatever opinion you want, but be prepared to back it up if you want to be taken seriously.
Regarding what you posted:
Woods and Alexander were good special teams contributors on what were, overall good special teams units.
Did you watch Dave Thomas fail here, or just pick up on him being an OK backup last year?
Belichick is of course not always right. But he is right a lot more than most.
Given the decision between Aiken and Slater he has years of watching them practice and play, work out, participate in meetings, act as team players or not team players, interact with teammates and coaches, and all the film of their ability on special teams.
I think it is fair to say he has more date available to him in making this decision.
Further he has 35 years of being successful in the NFL at his disposal in analyzing that data. I know nothing of you, but I doubt you can match that.
So, we have a person with a greater ability than you to assess the situation who also has mountains more data.
That does not mean he is right and you are wrong, but it means there is a significant burden of persuasive argument from you to sway anyone to believe that your opinion that Aiken is a better special teams player than Slater is a more intelligent opinion than that of Bill Belichick.

I think you mean Chris Taylor, not Clayton, as Clayton was cut earlier today.
Yes you are correct and NO he didn't stick..been a bad 6 hrs for me...BUT I did think that was a possibility..MY BAD.....Already after the 53 was named, McGowan was IRed..down one and I bet more moving parts than in past years...possibilities galore...from a OL to DE to who knows...BB is on the phone now and I bet more changes tomorrow...

Slater is a kick-ass lead blocker on PR because of his speed. He has no regard for his own body. Therefore his value on ST is greater than that of Aiken because Aiken is easily replaceable. Read: Chung.

So Slater's kick-ass lead blocker on PR ability negates the fact that he's pretty much useless in all other facets of the game? PR probably occurs 3-4 times a game and out of those, maybe returned once or twice. He can't do anything else that Aiken couldn't do and do much better. Not to mention that our defense might not even be able to force punts this year. :rolleyes:

I dont know how you can say questioning Belichick and/or making negative comments isnt allowed when the board is dominated by it.

You are free to have whatever opinion you want, but be prepared to back it up if you want to be taken seriously.
Regarding what you posted:
Woods and Alexander were good special teams contributors on what were, overall good special teams units.
Did you watch Dave Thomas fail here, or just pick up on him being an OK backup last year?
Belichick is of course not always right. But he is right a lot more than most.
Given the decision between Aiken and Slater he has years of watching them practice and play, work out, participate in meetings, act as team players or not team players, interact with teammates and coaches, and all the film of their ability on special teams.
I think it is fair to say he has more date available to him in making this decision.
Further he has 35 years of being successful in the NFL at his disposal in analyzing that data. I know nothing of you, but I doubt you can match that.
So, we have a person with a greater ability than you to assess the situation who also has mountains more data.
That does not mean he is right and you are wrong, but it means there is a significant burden of persuasive argument from you to sway anyone to believe that your opinion that Aiken is a better special teams player than Slater is a more intelligent opinion than that of Bill Belichick.

Dude, if you put it that way, then of course there's no way we can question BB or any HC in any pro sports for that matter. I'm only assessing what I see on the field during games and in highlights/film breakdown that ESPN or NFL Network may show. There's no question BB has more data than any of us but having more data doesn't necessarily mean making the right decision. There may be salary implications (Aikens costing more than Slater), and personal feelings (Slater may have endeared BB because of his hard work). Who really knows what the thought process was, but based on what I've seen, Slater is useless unless you want someone to run full speed into somebody else.

Not sure if he's really exempt or not...Reiss has him as part of the 53...so I really wonder about that. With the McGowan move being under 1 is good as there can be a pick up without a cut. Wish this could be clarified.

I would assume we can have the same 2 weeks if we choose to.
However, we may just keep him on the 53, and inactive for games until he catches up. Dont even know if he is in shape.

Possible, but he seems to have a skill set that may be necessary against the Bengals (Gresham) and Jets (Keller). Assuming he is in shape, I'm hoping he is active since I don't trust Sanders covering the middle of the field.

As for him being 34th, there were 12 players ahead of him that had fewer than 10 returns, and 9 who had less than 5. That's why I said double digit returns. So that there was a decent sample size. Even in Lake Woebegone, they understand that..

BTW, players aren't allowed to improve in your world???

And you say MY credibility is shot??? :rolleyes:

Sorry,. but Slater is above average. Not great. but above average..

19.3 yards a return is above average? Are you serious?
Patrick Pass averaged 1.4 yards more a return than Slater (20.7) with zero fumbles in 36 returns.

BTW, players aren't allowed to improve in your world???

The best improvement would be to get off the field and let Tate return kicks.

Last edited:
Patriots trimmed 20 players off the roster Saturday:

Burgess, Aiken, Woods, linebacker Eric Alexander, safety Sergio Brown, offensive lineman George Bussey, tight end Carson Butler, running back Thomas Clayton, wide receiver Buddy Farnham, wide receiver Darnell Jenkins, center/guard Ted Larsen, tight end Rob Myers, center/guard Rich Ohrnberger, wide receiver Rod Owens, quarterback Zac Robinson, running back Chris Taylor, safety Ross Ventrone, offensive tackle Thomas Welch, inside linebacker Thomas Williams and cornerback DeAngelo Willingham.

Last edited:
So Slater's kick-ass lead blocker on PR ability negates the fact that he's pretty much useless in all other facets of the game? PR probably occurs 3-4 times a game and out of those, maybe returned once or twice. He can't do anything else that Aiken couldn't do and do much better. Not to mention that our defense might not even be able to force punts this year. :rolleyes:

No, Slater is also an outstanding gunner.

Patriots trimmed 20 players off the roster Saturday:

Burgess, Aiken, Woods, linebacker Eric Alexander, safety Sergio Brown, offensive lineman George Bussey, tight end Carson Butler, running back Thomas Clayton, wide receiver Buddy Farnham, wide receiver Darnell Jenkins, center/guard Ted Larsen, tight end Rob Myers, center/guard Rich Ohrnberger, wide receiver Rod Owens, quarterback Zac Robinson, running back Chris Taylor, safety Ross Ventrone, offensive tackle Thomas Welch, inside linebacker Thomas Williams and cornerback DeAngelo Willingham.

Like most of us, it appears that BB and Co. didn't like what they saw in the back-up offensive linemen. Burgess is no surprise. We got raped in that trade. Aiken and Woods surprised me. Both are good special teamers. Woods is good OLB depth and is a knowledgable back-up. Wouldn't be surprised to see Brown on the practice squad. Same thing for Farnham. I'd expect Jenkins to end up on a team mesmerized by speed (Raiders?). As for the rest of them, good luck in you endeavors.

When does BJGE go public with the incriminating pictures he has of Kraft?

Dude, if you put it that way, then of course there's no way we can question BB or any HC in any pro sports for that matter. I'm only assessing what I see on the field during games and in highlights/film breakdown that ESPN or NFL Network may show. There's no question BB has more data than any of us but having more data doesn't necessarily mean making the right decision. There may be salary implications (Aikens costing more than Slater), and personal feelings (Slater may have endeared BB because of his hard work). Who really knows what the thought process was, but based on what I've seen, Slater is useless unless you want someone to run full speed into somebody else.

That last sentence is Slater's job.

Watch on Kick Off Returns. He is a gunner. But, his job is to take out the LEAD BLOCKER (or the off returner). Not the actual Kick Returner. Slater's job is to help create plays for others to make.

I think Maroney is the last remaining scapegoat we have now. Aikens cut, Watson is gone, Seymour traded. Woods and Alexander were minor offenders. I guess Sanders and Slater can take some heat of off LoMo from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back