PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All-Overrated Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bob Sanders is overrated just because they have turned this guy into some kind of football god or something, but when he is on the field (which is not a lot some years) he is pretty darn good.

Roy Williams, the safety, is my vote for the most overrated player. But people are starting to catch on about him. He is an average safety at best.

I dont agree that Bob Sanders or Freeney is overrated, they are two of the elite at their position.

that makes you an awesome Patriots homer and a bad football fan
I get it! I watch my team get their faces kicked year in and year out, once in a while to see them fall short, and watch other teams cheer wildly as they win. I say to myself, "Boy it would be great to experience that for even a little while." Here I am, watching my team march it's way into history as possibly the greatest team and dynasty ever, and I'm supposed to be a calm, objective fan that thinks "clutch" is measured by simple algebric equations while Mr. Brady continues to amaze me. Excuse my French, but FLUCK THAT!! I'll paint my face red, white, and blue; brainwash my 2 year old into everything Patriots, and suck down a gallon of kool-aid everyday because I'M LOVIN' IT!!!!!

This makes me a "bad" football fan! You must be really fun to hang out with on gameday:rolleyes: :rolleyes: !!

I think Sanders and Freeney both make spectacular plays which is why the national media loves them.

I also think they are out of position a ton. Freeney on almost any run and especially a draw and Sanders to a lesser extent on play action.

In the last NE/Indy game:

Freeney 2 tackles 0 sacks
Sanders 5 tackles

One of Sanders tackles was a brilliant play where he blew up Maroney on 3rd and short forcing the Pats to kick a FGs. Two others both Moss catches he wasn't as deep as he could have been and basically got clean up tackles.

I think they are great players who can make game changing plays but will also give up a lot of plays as well.

I do believe they are over-rated but I wouldn't put them on the all over-rated team.

I would however put Mathis, Bethea, and Jackson on my all under-rated team. Mathis gets as much pressure as Freeney without abandoning his run responsibilities and is usually good for 5+ tackles a game and still gets sacks. Bethea and Jackson could play for the Pats. They are young and coming on.

Am I a Colts troll if I don't think Freeney is overrated? He might be a one trick pony, but he is extremely good at that trick and forces teams to either gameplan for him or pay. He isn't being asked to play in a Belichick D. He's asked to pressure the QB, and he's great at it.

I don't think Sanders is overrated if only because his injury problems are not ignored. Complimentary things about him are often preceded by "when healthy." But yes, if anyone lists him with Reed, Polamalu, and other top safeties they're overrating him. I'll take a slightly lesser player who stays healthy any day.

Back to overrated guys:

Vince Young
Shockey
Deangelo Hall
Roy Williams
Kellen Clemens

Gotta get P. Rivers in there.

I would have him over McNabb easily.
I like Sanders and Freeney, too.
You can say what you will about his lack of sack numbers
but he gets pressure on QBs consistently. Just like RS.
It seemed like magic for the Colts D when Sanders arrived.
They suddenly got good. I've seen him make some outstanding plays, too.
Maybe the media does ball wash them a bit much but they are still good players.

I would however put Mathis on my all under-rated team. Mathis gets as much pressure as Freeney without abandoning his run responsibilities and is usually good for 5+ tackles a game and still gets sacks. Bethea and Jackson could play for the Pats. They are young and coming on.

You don't watch much Colt football. He's not being double teamed, he never even gets chipped by back or TE. Freeney always gets the double, and along with the chip. Freeney generally has the QB retreating towards Robert's side the of the ball. I think that he is good, but not anywhere near the play of Freeney. We will see how he does this week, when KC doubles him. You have to remember that is only about 235lb, very small guy.

Overrated -

Alex Smith
Cedric Benson
Andy katzenmoyer

Last edited:
my vote goes to Vince Young, the non-jail version of Michael Vick, and the majority of big name running backs

This brings up a good point. Who are some of the more overrated Patriot players?

Richard Seymour - Corey Simon has more sacks and tackles than dear ole' Seymour and Corey hasn't played the last two years.

This brings up a good point. Who are some of the more overrated Patriot players?

I always see people say Bruschi is overrated, but I can't think of the last time anyone called him a great player. I figure that's just dumb Jets fans who don't realize that Pats fans accepted awhile ago that he lost a step.

I used to think Asante was overrated but I don't know anymore.

Last year I would have said Watson, but he hasn't gotten much attention this year.

Richard Seymour - Corey Simon has more sacks and tackles than dear ole' Seymour and Corey hasn't played the last two years.

You keep mentioning this knowing that it's a horrible point. Seymour has never put up big stats and was never acclaimed for doing so. You also know that the responsibilities of linemen in the 3-4 and 4-3 are very different. Do you just enjoy making stupid arguments you don't believe in?

If Seymour is overrated it's because he gets hurt so much, but I think this has been accounted for. You don't hear him mentioned among the best defensive linemen like you used to.

Last edited:
While McNabb sucks this year, and certainly does have a history of over-ratedness, I have to say that if the AOT is a snapshot in time selection for this year, I have to agree Rivers has gotta start. NcNabb, at least can fall back that this years performance is mitigated by that he still only 1 year off an injury that, by all accounts takes minimum 18-24 months to FULLY heal from. He's a perrenial over-rated guy, but this year, Rivers has earned 1st-team AOT status. No argument to Young as his back-up.

I don't think Freeney is all that overrated either. He's a quality player. He's NOT NEARLY WORTH what they are paying him, but he is good for them. So if salary is your defining factor, then yeah, he might be. But as far performance-overratted, I wouldn't say that so much. Same thing with Sanders.... he's a force on the field, but he's so small and prone to injjury that he's does and will continue to have durability issues. But I don't consider that as making him overatted though, just fragile.

As for Patriots. Seymour is certainly one you may put that tag on, but again, he's much like Sanders in that he has durability issues, not so much performance issues. I can see both supporting arguments and countering arguments on him. Last year, you could say Samuel was overrated pretty easily. This year though, I have to say, his development is progressing as such that he working himself in to legitimatly being descussed as a top-flight corner, worthy of his top-5 francise salary.

If Hanson makes the pro-bowl (fan balloting has him #1 among punters), then he'll be cleared for AOT consideration for sure.

Last edited:
I would have him over McNabb easily.
I like Sanders and Freeney, too.
You can say what you will about his lack of sack numbers
but he gets pressure on QBs consistently. Just like RS.
It seemed like magic for the Colts D when Sanders arrived.
They suddenly got good. I've seen him make some outstanding plays, too.
Maybe the media does ball wash them a bit much but they are still good players.

I don't think Freeney is overated either.There are plenty of teams running a 4-3 that would love to have him. Also if BB had him and was using the 4-3, I bet very few people would label him as overated. Just like Freeney is labeled as a one trick pony, he's tied to a defense that is also a one trick pony. His potential "may" not have been fully tapped.

also, wrt to Freeney. he fits in perfectly with what the Colts need their DE's to do - generate consistent pressure on the QB. the whole defense is predicated on this. he's more valuable to the Colts than to us or anyone else.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention................. Mangina needs consideration on the AOT coaching staff. Granted, everyone has pretty much seen the light and dropped with the dumb Genious thing. But still, he doesn't even belong in the HC ranks, so the fact that he even has a job at that level means, by default, be's overrated.

I don't think Freeney is overated either.There are plenty of teams running a 4-3 that would love to have him.
But the fact that teams want him doesn't mean they aren't over-rating him? The more over-rated he is, the more teams would want him, no?

WR- TO. He's a good receiver, but not as good as many think he is, and his personality and mouth by themselves, and how they hurt a team, would make him overrated even if he was Jerry Rice.

I disagree with this. TO is a pretty damn good receiver. Yeah, he's a major a-hole, but he deserves the credit he gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News