PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All about the offensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Lots to talk about here. Thought it deserved its own thread. If the OL blocks well and the Pats stay healthy overall then i don't see the Patriots losing the superbowl this year.

First and for most the bad news is the back up OT spot still is very shaky and it appears if no trade or signing happens that will be something to watch and keep your fingers crossed about for the year. The good news is pretty much everything else.

Thuney is as advertised and will likely be a solid day 1 starter. He has not had a single bad practice yet to my knowledge and has done well in 1v1s no matter who he is asked to block.

Karras is one of the bigger surprises of Camp and was mostly an after thought but has been playing very well and could battle for the other starting guard spot. He plays with a lot of attitude and is more of a push you on your back guy than beat you with technique. I expect him to make the roster as things stand. Lost 1v1 today vs Knighton though but that is a hard draw.

Mason will see more field time in the next few days i think. He flashed a bit as a rookie and had a few very impressive run blocks. One play in particular I remember him blocking 3 guys on the same play.

Cooper whose contract is fully guaranteed has yet to do much due to injury. He should be back soon and has the most talent in this group.

Kline has played a lot with the 1s and has been dependable like usual. Has more NFL snaps than any other guard on the team.

Jackson appears to be an afterthought right now.

With so many good guards and a few of them trying their hand at center it makes you wonder if we will carry both Andrews and Stork or just 1. It would be very hard to let any of these guards go and i doubt we get any of them back if we cut them.

A few quick thoughts there to start things off.

I could be wrong since things change fast in camp, but isn't Jackson on PUP? If so, hard to say he's an afterthought.

I could be wrong since things change fast in camp, but isn't Jackson on PUP? If so, hard to say he's an afterthought.

Well i mean his play last year was meh and he hasn't done anything this year. Yes he has been on PUP all camp. That is likely the only way he makes the team or PS right now.

Also nice to have Scar back :p

Solder - Thuney - Andrews - Mason - Vollmer

Possible that Cooper will take one of those guard spots but also possible he gets cut. Otherwise, you're spot on.

Possible that Cooper will take one of those guard spots but also possible he gets cut. Otherwise, you're spot on.

Barring injury, that's what I think the day one line will look like.

The question that remains is what Bill is gonna do with Stork if the pre-season games confirm this tendency:

- Keep as a Center backup (and possibly guard if god forbid Mason, Kline, Jackson and Cooper get injured)
- Convert to Guard playing center in emergencies
- Trade
- Doesn't make the 53 so he's flat out cut

The question that remains is what Bill is gonna do with Stork if the pre-season games confirm this tendency:

- Keep as a Center backup (and possibly guard if god forbid Mason, Kline, Jackson and Cooper get injured)
- Convert to Guard playing center in emergencies
- Trade
- Doesn't make the 53 so he's flat out cut

I was starting to wonder about the last one, particularly if Karras keeps doing well. But more likely, they'll keep him as backup interior guy with Karras on the PS. How much center has Kline been playing? It might come down to Stork v Kline v Karras.

Thuney is as advertised and will likely be a solid day 1 starter. He has not had a single bad practice yet to my knowledge and has done well in 1v1s no matter who he is asked to block.

Jackson appears to be an afterthought right now.

A few quick thoughts there to start things off.

Good post just a couple of comments to add.

I disagree with you about Thuney, he is not "as advertised" he is much better than advertised. This was not a universally loved pick when it became apparent the Pats had no plans for him at OT.

As for Jackson, he had/has injury problems, and while he is still young and developing, I seem to remember one of the knocks against him was a degenerative knee condition that would continue to get worse.

Still, Jackson could still be a factor if things go his way in camp, and injuries always shake things up.

I was starting to wonder about the last one, particularly if Karras keeps doing well. But more likely, they'll keep him as backup interior guy with Karras on the PS. How much center has Kline been playing? It might come down to Stork v Kline v Karras.

Assuming he's healthy there is a spot for an OL who play any spot on the OL.

If Stork is fully healthy, I think he makes the team. It's a big "if" ...

Good post just a couple of comments to add.

I disagree with you about Thuney, he is not "as advertised" he is much better than advertised. This was not a universally loved pick when it became apparent the Pats had no plans for him at OT.

As for Jackson, he had/has injury problems, and while he is still young and developing, I seem to remember one of the knocks against him was a degenerative knee condition that would continue to get worse.

Still, Jackson could still be a factor if things go his way in camp, and injuries always shake things up.

Based on what I am hearing Scar wants to adopt him.

If Stork is fully healthy, I think he makes the team. It's a big "if" ...

The problem is that if he gets concussed one more time he will strongly consider an early retirement.

re: Andrews, this was an encouraging read. If Stork's injury and concussion history forces the team to make a hard decision, Andrews seems like hes got his body where it should be.

“It appears that Andrews has shed a little baby fat and gotten leaner and stronger in the upper body,” Kurkjian writes.

“Yeah, I was just trying to get better this offseason and take from my weaknesses from last season,” Andrews agreed. “To me, that was something I wanted to work on, just get bigger and stronger.”

Andrews continues to be available, and he has gotten bigger and stronger. His arms are noticeably larger, while his core has grown more broad. While we may never find out if he’s surpassed the 300-pound mark, he certainly looks like he’s closer than ever before.

Patriots center David Andrews is "bigger and stronger" than last year

He was greatly advertised by the Pats (of course many didnt want to hear it). The surprising part is how quickly what was advertised is coming true (and more).

-

While we can all hope and pray regarding OT the C is the most intriguing question.
I am not sure but i think all G's had some snaps at C, even Kline. It can be a routine versatility drill or maybe something connected w Stork or the idea of carrying more guards and only 1 pure C which would be great.
On the other hand Stork can also play G + Dante said he would prefer less rotation ...

All in all it would be great if by September they can crystallize 8/9 unit rather than work-in-progress 10 considering emerging talent at CB, WR

One “line“ of thinking that I can imagine (in part proposed by Captain Stone) is
Solder - Thuney/Kline - Andrews/Mason - Cooper/Karras - Vollmer
(w Thuney, Karras and Mason interchangeable)

Solder - Thuney - Andrews - Mason - Vollmer

I'd also lean towards starting Andrews and keep Stork as a cheap, quality backup.

I don't really care about what the Day 1 line looks like as much as I care what it will look like in November - February. But I've said in just about every thread discussing the season that I feel OLine and injuries are the only things that can stop this team from being there at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News