PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All about the offensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's shaping up to look like we really need to cross our fingers and pray that Solder and Vollmer, in particular, stay healthy. If they do, I'll take our chances against anyone.

Half of the league struggling with OL ...
... so funnily enough there might even be some trade value within our OL and its no joke.
Bears losing C. Coming to joint practice. Might get interesting ... (I wonder if they have a T to spare?)

Bears adjust after losing center to season-ending injury
reading this our OL seam like - as some like to put it - the plethora of riches ...
We have a bunch of guys who have done nothing at G. We have injury prone starting OTs and C with JAGS behind them.
This interior OL was BY FAR the worst of the BB era last year and there is no sure proof it has improved.

Solder-Thuney-Andrews-Cooper*-Vollmer
Karras/Kline/Mason/Waddle

Cuts: Cannon, Stork.
PUP: Jackson

* If Cooper stays healthy; if not, he goes to IR and Karras starts, rest stays the same.
Karras? Really?

Agreed, but in that case I'm not worried about Fleming (or Cannon's) future careers, and more concerned that the team didn't make a more significant improvement to a position that was a season-breaking weakness on the back nine of 2015. Hopefully it doesn't come back to haunt them. Or maybe they can still find a legit backup swing tackle option out there as a camp cut or trade deadline deal, I dunno. If it's Solder & Vollmer and pray for bad paint on the fields so be it, if they're both healthy then that's great...but it's not the most logical or confidence-inspiring notion to assume that will hold up.
Waddle came late and still recovering from injury. I am not writing him off as a solid OT3.

sure he is....no matter how much you insist to the contrary
Leave it to you to pick this fight.

Stork didn't play in week 15 last year because of an ankle injury.

The poster said Andrews beat him out for the starting job then. Of course that is a ridiculous an incorrect statement.

Waddle came late and still recovering from injury. I am not writing him off as a solid OT3.
Nor am I - I was commenting largely on keeping what was clearly garbage in Cannon & Fleming and drafting on the interior when you lost 1 & 2 last year while watching those losses explicitly bury your season when you were clearly the best team in the league...this is still troubling to me. It's not good enough to assume Dante will fix it.

I've liked much of what I've seen of Waddle on the admittedly rare occasion I've seen him play. He's had injury problems the past few seasons...not that this is totally unexpected of an apparently talented but otherwise available T. Call it whatever else you want, but I wouldn't call it solid (I suppose this could apply to the OL as a whole).

Captain, let's hope we don't see Kline anywhere near the starting lineup. If he's the best option, our qb's are in trouble.

Kline actually played solid last year up until his injury. So not sure why people rag on him. Not his fault he was the only one that stayed healthy for the majority of the year and had a revolving door of OLinemen next time him much of the season.

Kline actually played solid last year up until his injury. So not sure why people rag on him. Not his fault he was the only one that stayed healthy for the majority of the year and had a revolving door of OLinemen next time him much of the season.

Captain, let's hope we don't see Kline anywhere near the starting lineup. If he's the best option, our qb's are in trouble.

Ashley has never wavered in her distaste for Josh Kline. It's awesome.

Leave it to you to pick this fight.

Stork didn't play in week 15 last year because of an ankle injury.

The poster said Andrews beat him out for the starting job then. Of course that is a ridiculous an incorrect statement.

only to those where the bottom line is not primary....as though the semantics you insist on changes anything

not picking anything......i get a kick out of the minutiae you choose as causes

I wouldn't give up on Kline just yet, Ashley. As usual, he's only going to be as good as some of his surrounding cast, and by the end of last year that was pretty bad. On top of that, he had a lingering injury that he was attempting to battle through.

They extended him for a reason, and he has played well for us before. He has experience and was plugged in as early as late 2013, where he looked very good run blocking in the Ravens game at BAL. I don't think he's the second coming of John Hannah, but he's at least serviceable as a rotational or backup guard. I think he makes the team without much question. Just my opinion though--you may be right.

Karras? Really?
who better? Kline? Or Mason? They're both serviceable, don't think either one is particularly special, from what I've seen Karras might be. One way to find out. Throw him into the fire and see how he performs.

I'd rather see Cooper healthy and starting, hoping that's what we'll have. But if not, I'm thinking Karras may get the nod. I'll trust Dante to make the best choice from what he has to work with.

TC barely started and Vollmer is already banged up and missing important camp time. Is he recovering from surgery? Seems like keeping Cannon was the right decision at least once he did play well right tackle under Scar's tutelage but that's a distant memory. Obviously from past performances I'd like BB to get rid of Cannon in day one of the past offseason but things are not so easy on real roster management.

I'd like to see a project to convert Stork to play tackle, I think he does have the frame and intensity to play the position, I just don't know if he does have the skillset.

only to those where the bottom line is not primary....as though the semantics you insist on changes anything

not picking anything......i get a kick out of the minutiae you choose as causes
I'm sorry that you don't understand the meaning of beating out.

I'm sorry that you don't understand the meaning of beating out.

don't be sorry....I understand what beating out means.....however, your noise has zero bearing on the bottom line

who better? Kline? Or Mason? They're both serviceable, don't think either one is particularly special, from what I've seen Karras might be. One way to find out. Throw him into the fire and see how he performs.

I'd rather see Cooper healthy and starting, hoping that's what we'll have. But if not, I'm thinking Karras may get the nod. I'll trust Dante to make the best choice from what he has to work with.

don't bother......it makes no sense to him

but then again, a 5th round draft pick showing up and pushing a pro bowl C out to guard is something that could never happen either.....

I wouldn't give up on Kline just yet, Ashley. As usual, he's only going to be as good as some of his surrounding cast, and by the end of last year that was pretty bad. On top of that, he had a lingering injury that he was attempting to battle through.

They extended him for a reason, and he has played well for us before. He has experience and was plugged in as early as late 2013, where he looked very good run blocking in the Ravens game at BAL. I don't think he's the second coming of John Hannah, but he's at least serviceable as a rotational or backup guard. I think he makes the team without much question. Just my opinion though--you may be right.

Hope you're right Supa, keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Let's see Karras play in a preseason game before you out him ahead of guys who have started in the NFL.
It would be great if he turned into something but after only a few padded practices it's a little early to proclaim him ready to start much less make the team.
If all the Gs get healthy he would be a very long shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back