PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All about the offensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting my mind conditioned to the idea of a Pats roster without Stork. These concussions are coming too early and often now.

I did it yesterday. Somehow felt he's not fully there even the first days. And then all G's getting C turns...

One “line“ of thinking that I can imagine (in part proposed by Captain Stone) is
Solder - Thuney/Kline - Andrews/Mason - Cooper/Karras - Vollmer
(w Thuney, Karras and Mason interchangeable)

On the other hand he was seen training just outside practice fields today:
(2/5) Postcard from camp, Day 7: Class in session with Belichick
So obviously he's not giving up just yet.

-

Some good news about Cannon for second straight day is encouraging since Dante sticks with him. Maybe his persistence pays off after all. For the moment Cannon is clearly #3 OT in Dante's and BB's books. Thats good enough for me rooting for him and his progress.

He beat out Stork week 15 last year. Was benched or injured shortly thereafter, forgot which. Wouldn't be an upset for Stork to win the job (concussion notwithstanding) but I think Andrews has to be considered the frontrunner at this point.
That's just not true.

Do you have more than 4 words for that?
what more do you want? Stork was injured in week 15 (ankle) not beaten out.

That isn't beating out the player.

Sure it is. I'm not the most fleet of foot and I challenge a guy who's in great shape with a broken leg to a race, I'll beat him.

What's not to understand?

Some good news about Cannon for second straight day is encouraging since Dante sticks with him. Maybe his persistence pays off after all. For the moment Cannon is clearly #3 OT in Dante's and BB's books. Thats good enough for me rooting for him and his progress.

Waddle showing up today is even better news

The way I see it, which is a 99% chance of being wrong, is the following:

Offensive Tackle:
Solder and Vollmer locked in as starters.
Waddle, Cannon, and Fleming battling for two backup spots.
Reaction: Sweet Little Baby Jesus please let our starters be healthy.

Center/Guard:
Andrews, Thuney, Mason are roster locks, imo.
Cooper is likely on the roster due to the fully guaranteed contract, unless he is completely outplayed by others.
As much as I want him playing, I think Stork will be down for awhile, maybe for good.
Tre Jackson seems to be destined for the PUP list.
Karras and Kline battle for last interior spot
Reaction: I think they go with Andrews, Thuney, Mason, Cooper, and Kline. Try to sneak Karras onto the PS, but may lose him.

Sure it is. I'm not the most fleet of foot and I challenge a guy who's in great shape with a broken leg to a race, I'll beat him.

What's not to understand?
Ok if you want to play dumb find some one else to play with.

Ok if you want to play dumb find some one else to play with.

he's actually correct......if one player is getting on the field and the other one isn't....the one getting on the field wins regardless of reason.....winning = beating

granted it is only semantics, but based on the English language, he is correct

The way I see it, which is a 99% chance of being wrong, is the following:

Offensive Tackle:
Solder and Vollmer locked in as starters.
Waddle, Cannon, and Fleming battling for two backup spots.
Reaction: Sweet Little Baby Jesus please let our starters be healthy.

Center/Guard:
Andrews, Thuney, Mason are roster locks, imo.
Cooper is likely on the roster due to the fully guaranteed contract, unless he is completely outplayed by others.
As much as I want him playing, I think Stork will be down for awhile, maybe for good.
Tre Jackson seems to be destined for the PUP list.
Karras and Kline battle for last interior spot
Reaction: I think they go with Andrews, Thuney, Mason, Cooper, and Kline. Try to sneak Karras onto the PS, but may lose him.

I have a feeling Cooper is going to the short term IR designation. That injury can certainly be managed but seems like they'd be better off if they let it heal for a month or two.

I'm not sure about Jackson yet. Seems like hes getting closer to returning.......?

he's actually correct......if one player is getting on the field and the other one isn't....the one getting on the field wins regardless of reason.....winning = beating

Disagree here. "Beating someone out" for a job in football means that you both show up on the field and one player outplays the other. You can't beat someone out who is injured. You can win the job against no competition, but you don't beat them out.

Disagree here. "Beating someone out" for a job in football means that you both show up on the field and one player outplays the other. You can't beat someone out who is injured. You can win the job against no competition, but you don't beat them out.
So consider this hypothetical scenario: veteran player A is more experienced, but misses much of camp with another concussion (after a history of several previous concussions). In his absence veteran B gets lots of reps and plays well. Veteran A returns before the end of camp and plays slightly better than veteran B. However the coaching staff decides that his injury history and the risk of another injury means that it is best for the team to cut him and keep veteran B.

Did veteran B "beat out" veteran A?

So consider this hypothetical scenario: veteran player A is more experienced, but misses much of camp with another concussion (after a history of several previous concussions). In his absence veteran B gets lots of reps and plays well. Veteran A returns before the end of camp and plays slightly better than veteran B. However the coaching staff decides that his injury history and the risk of another injury means that it is best for the team to cut him and keep veteran B.

Did veteran B "beat out" veteran A?

Nope. "A" played better. He was cut because of the injury history.
I think I'm following the more traditional definition of the phrase here, which is not to say there are multiple interpretations possible, particularly from young people (i.e.those under 50) who don't know much about anything and won't get off my lawn.

No he isn't.

So Garoppolo has beaten out Brady as starting QB? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have a feeling Cooper is going to the short term IR designation. That injury can certainly be managed but seems like they'd be better off if they let it heal for a month or two.

I'm not sure about Jackson yet. Seems like hes getting closer to returning.......?

I believe the IR return has changed this year. The player does not need to be designated ahead of time, but only one player can return from IR. They can IR Cooper and decide whether to bring him back later.

Big factor, if true and consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back