PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alfonzo Dennard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennard was not perfect, neither was Dowling, but neither hurt us. Lots of experience left to be gained, but so far so good. Our guys seem to have tight coverage (quite a bit actually), but do not play the ball well (knocking ball down, stripping WR, etc). Dowling and Dennard are better at that than most on our team. I hope they continue to improve, because as the rush gets better that will cover some of the mistakes in the secondary.

Dennard was not perfect, neither was Dowling, but neither hurt us. Lots of experience left to be gained, but so far so good. Our guys seem to have tight coverage (quite a bit actually), but do not play the ball well (knocking ball down, stripping WR, etc). Dowling and Dennard are better at that than most on our team. I hope they continue to improve, because as the rush gets better that will cover some of the mistakes in the secondary.

If Dowling stays healthy, he needs a full year of experience, as this is really
considered his rookie year. Same goes for Dennard. They need to play more
to get the feel of NFL games...

Sophmore year will decide their fate.

Like I said during the off season, I would much rather see McCourty play at FS than CB, much to many "experts'" dismay.

According to Shalize Manza Young and Greg Bedard, McCourty was slated to be our FS heading into the season as the coaches agreed that he was better suited to play safety.

That all changed when the coaching staff saw a lack of depth at CB, and apparently that's how he ended up back at corner.

It will be interesting to see if he stays there or not, and how often he plays FS.

"If McCourty transitions to safety permanently, which the Boston Globe's Greg Bedard and Shalize Manza Young reported was the team's intention prior to the season and before the Patriots saw a lack of depth at cornerback, that would leave Dennard and Arrington the starting cornerbacks with Dowling or Sterling Moore the nickel corner. Wilson would be able to transition back to the dime role he had earlier in the season -- playing a hybrid safety/linebacker position -- and Gregory would be the odd man out -- once healthy. "

Devin McCourty's Switch to Safety Could Finally Tie the Patriots' Struggling Secondary Together - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Chung's last year. If he does not sign for cheap, Secondary could be
"McCourty + Wilson", with Dennard + ??? as CBs...

At first I wasn't so hot on the idea of moving McCourty to FS, but I've warmed up to the idea.

-I think one of these games, Belichick should throw Dowling at the #1 CB spot. Mainly because he's by far the biggest, and most physical CB on this roster. His 6'2 frame could help him against the big, #1 WR's.

- I think Dennard should be at the #2 spot, keep letting him grow into the position. Do remember this guy was only a 7th rounder due to off field issues. He would've been a 2nd-3rd round pick if it weren't for that.

-Arrington gets put at nickel corner here, since his biggest problems are the deep balls, playing more of the slot guys will help as he can be decent at doing such.

-Now alongside McCourty should be Chung still, if he's not ready yet, then hopefully Gregory will be ready. But Chung's still the guy at SS. Gregory will be the backup.

-Where is Wilson?? He'll play where he was supposed to play from the beginning, at the dime spot. He's shown flashes, but he isn't quite ready for a full time starting gig. Though he's shown enough flashes to give himself a role in this defense.

Hey. Maybe the secondary woes can be solved after all!! ;)

Dennard seems to have the same body build as Ty Law. Hopefully he will develope and even become the Ty Law light, without the mouth. :D

Where are all these Ty Law comparisons coming from? I just don't see it. Dennard has some promise but he has not earned the comps I keep hearing with Law. He hasn't exactly shut down anybody yet. Give the kid more snaps sure, but let's not exaggerate here and get our hopes up. Ty Law was one of the best CBs to don a Pats uniform. I'd rather have him in his prime over Asante Samuel in his prime.

PS I think the reason we are seeing McCourty at safety is because our safeties suck so bad. It's more an indictment on what we have at the safety position than the CB position. That being said, we should absolutely target secondary in next year's draft. If we can draft a top notch safety, we can move McCourty back. If we draft a top corner, we can keep McCourty at free safety.

Last edited:
Where are all these Ty Law comparisons coming from? I just don't see it. Dennard has some promise but he has not earned the comps I keep hearing with Law. He hasn't exactly shut down anybody yet. Give the kid more snaps sure, but let's not exaggerate here and get our hopes up. Ty Law was one of the best CBs to don a Pats uniform. I'd rather have him in his prime over Asante Samuel in his prime.

PS I think the reason we are seeing McCourty at safety is because our safeties suck so bad. It's more an indictment on what we have at the safety position than the CB position. That being said, we should absolutely target secondary in next year's draft. If we can draft a top notch safety, we can move McCourty back. If we draft a top corner, we can keep McCourty at free safety.
I believe the Ty Law comparison's relate to physique at this early stage.

After watching the last few games i think we have our most cover talent on the field when we line up.

Ras-I and Dennard outside with McCourty at FS and Chung at SS or Wilson playing the other cover safety.

Ras-I in my opinion just needs more reps he makes mistakes but he also played some tight coverage yesterday and batted down some balls.

With McCourty while i think he is a good CB i think he helps this team more at FS and while annoying i think that just might have to be the way it is. i wish he had more time at FS through training camp though so he could develop some confidence and command back there.

I just want our best cover team out there allowing our front 7 to rush and cover the run with Wilson and McCourty not being to shabby at tackling anyway.

Chung's last year. If he does not sign for cheap, Secondary could be
"McCourty + Wilson", with Dennard + ??? as CBs...
A number of safeties will be eligible for unrestricted free agency next year (barring the dreaded franchise tag, of course):

Dashon Goldson
Kenny Phillips
Jairus Byrd
Glover Quin

The 2013 NFL Draft will provide a stronger safety class than 2012.

Hey VJC, haven't you heard the "instant gratification" fanbase is here to make these immediate judgements both good and bad based on a single game or a single play. The most spoiled and indulgent group of fans in the league lives to chastise everything but their own view of perfection.

This is the group of vultures who are now circling Brandon Lloyd after on sub par game, and who relegated Jermaine Cunningham to the hate locker for the sin of being out of shape and hurt last season. The same people who will never forgive Rob Ninkovich for being under 6'5 with short arms and having a lousy NFL pedigree

Its times like these that make me feel sometime that perhaps we deserve to have a few 1-15 seasons again and remember what its like to be a "real fan" again. Well not really, just for a second. Its just sometimes we act like spoiled brats, where wins aren't enough.

Pardon for the late night rant. I really need to buy some sleep aids

The same people who will never forgive Rob Ninkovich for being under 6'5 with short arms and having a lousy NFL pedigree
Rob Ninkovich was originally drafted in the fifth round of the 2006 NFL Draft. Lousy NFL pedigree would be normally reserved for undrafted collegiate free agents (Sergio Brown, James Ihedigbo).

Hey VJC, haven't you heard the "instant gratification" fanbase is here to make these immediate judgements both good and bad based on a single game or a single play. The most spoiled and indulgent group of fans in the league lives to chastise everything but their own view of perfection.

This is the group of vultures who are now circling Brandon Lloyd after on sub par game, and who relegated Jermaine Cunningham to the hate locker for the sin of being out of shape and hurt last season. The same people who will never forgive Rob Ninkovich for being under 6'5 with short arms and having a lousy NFL pedigree

Its times like these that make me feel sometime that perhaps we deserve to have a few 1-15 seasons again and remember what its like to be a "real fan" again. Well not really, just for a second. Its just sometimes we act like spoiled brats, where wins aren't enough.

Pardon for the late night rant. I really need to buy some sleep aids

I think part of the Llyod "issue" with fans is that there seemed to be a very popular misconception that he would help to draw coverage and stretch the field in a more vertical way.

Llyod has the ability to roam sideline to sideline, which is great. He also seems to be an upgrade in hands (sans NYJ game) over Branch with his acrobatic catches. What he isn't (and I was admittedly one who expected more vertical stretching of the field) is a deeper threat.

Just an observation from many of the media articles in the offseason, and many of the posters' comments here.

Llyod should be just fine, all he needs is more practice with Brady which will likely come as the season progresses. As long as he doesn't make a habit of dropping balls, there shouldn't be any problems.

However, it still makes me wonder what this offense could be with a "take the top off of the defense" player who is young and speedy at WR? I think it'd be a whole different ballgame personally.

However, it still makes me wonder what this offense could be with a "take the top off of the defense" player who is young and speedy at WR? I think it'd be a whole different ballgame personally.
Like those wide receivers grow on trees. :rolleyes:

The secondary is simply not going to be a highly effective unit......not next week and not by January. The jump from its reality as conspicuously soft (6 weeks in) to being a solid, effective unit is simply too big of a jump to be statistically likely to happen (that is entirely my judgement -- not based on compiled statistics).

The Patriots road map to victory factors a soft secondary (I am sure that is not a point of happiness - just a point of grim reality). A road map that says: (A) superior offense that jumps on the opposition's defense and forces the opposition's offense to feel/have to be near perfect and (B) a Patriot defense that can stop the opposition a sufficient amount of times for the Patriots to have a greater point total at the end of the game (a combination of our defense making a third down stop here and there, and the ability of the opposition's offense to shoot itself in the foot). This is what it was last year and this is what it is this year. And while it can be painful to watch (just as it was last year), this year, so far, has had a particularly grueling reality! giving up too many big pass plays. Even for an ability limited secondary such as ours, this is the one thing that must be fixed. Fortunately, imho, this is something that can/should be fixed. Giving up this many long passes falls on coaching. Sure, to fix it means the opposition will get what seems like a grating and unending string of underneath passes.....but in those circumstances I like our chances when the outcome of the game rests on which offense can string together more long drives.

The irony is the run D looks markedly better than it did last year (based solely on my own observation and recollection). Simply having the irritatingly soft secondary of last year should equal better results this year. :bricks:

I certainly agree. I know we've heard the cliche about McCourty being able to "keep the ball in front of him and see the field from a better angle," but I have been buying it from day one to be honest with you.

I don't know, sometimes McCourty really looks okay at CB, but too often he doesn't. Maybe this would give us some consistency.

i think it was touched upon in the article but mccourty (and arrington for that matter) are much better in zone coverage than man (mccourty can keep up in man at least, unlike arrington). dennard and dowling are the exact opposite.

you could see it in the jets game too. man coverage looked alot better than the zone coverage (when the outside CBs were dowling and dennard)

mccourty imo is the best safety the pats have...but also their best CB (havent seen enough of dennard and dowling) so it presents a bit of a problem.

would be interesting to see if arrington could handle safety as well as mcourty.

McCourty seems to be playing better at safety then he was at corner. That is obvious. IDK what happened to his rookie year magic, but its gone and I don't see it coming back. I would not at all be opposed to McCourty developing at safety this year, let Dennard and Dowling (hopefully they stay healthy) get their feet wet, let Chung walk away and try and draft a CB. I know Chung is more of an in the box run stopping safety then McCourty would be but we need all the pass coverage help we can get. Plus, I think our front 7 have the run under control just fine, especially #55 :rocker:

The secondary is simply not going to be a highly effective unit......not next week and not by January. The jump from its reality as conspicuously soft (6 weeks in) to being a solid, effective unit is simply too big of a jump to be statistically likely to happen (that is entirely my judgement -- not based on compiled statistics).

The Patriots road map to victory factors a soft secondary (I am sure that is not a point of happiness - just a point of grim reality). A road map that says: (A) superior offense that jumps on the opposition's defense and forces the opposition's offense to feel/have to be near perfect and (B) a Patriot defense that can stop the opposition a sufficient amount of times for the Patriots to have a greater point total at the end of the game (a combination of our defense making a third down stop here and there, and the ability of the opposition's offense to shoot itself in the foot). This is what it was last year and this is what it is this year. And while it can be painful to watch (just as it was last year), this year, so far, has had a particularly grueling reality! giving up too many big pass plays. Even for an ability limited secondary such as ours, this is the one thing that must be fixed. Fortunately, imho, this is something that can/should be fixed. Giving up this many long passes falls on coaching. Sure, to fix it means the opposition will get what seems like a grating and unending string of underneath passes.....but in those circumstances I like our chances when the outcome of the game rests on which offense can string together more long drives.

The irony is the run D looks markedly better than it did last year (based solely on my own observation and recollection). Simply having the irritatingly soft secondary of last year should equal better results this year. :bricks:

I believe this is referred to as "bend but don't break" haha

Like those wide receivers grow on trees. :rolleyes:

Not sure what you necessarily mean here?

There have been plenty of young WR's who have been just fine for any one of the other 31 NFL teams.

It's due to the lack of successful drafting at the position that we're in this situation, not because there aren't any to have out there....

Any player who isn't considered a slow smurf under 6 feet or so would do just fine, but they'd have to likely do one of 3 things to make that happen:

1. Actually hit on a WR draft pick

2. Trade for someone somewhat productive or pick up another teams' castoff hoping to incorporate them into the scheme

3. Simplify the current system here

Since I don't see any of those likely to happen any time soon, I will go back to my original statement that you seem so perplexed by...

Last edited:
i think it was touched upon in the article but mccourty (and arrington for that matter) are much better in zone coverage than man (mccourty can keep up in man at least, unlike arrington). dennard and dowling are the exact opposite.

you could see it in the jets game too. man coverage looked alot better than the zone coverage (when the outside CBs were dowling and dennard)

mccourty imo is the best safety the pats have...but also their best CB (havent seen enough of dennard and dowling) so it presents a bit of a problem.

would be interesting to see if arrington could handle safety as well as mcourty.

I thought that these statements today by Tom Curran were pretty telling of the overall picture of what you're saying:

" --Devin McCourty's got safety skills. And while he may be the team's best corner, he's average (and too often below average out there) at the position and the gap between he and the guys behind him is small enough to make it a negligible difference.

--Additionally, he's also the team's best safety -- ball skills when the play is in front of him, excellent range, good size and a willingness to hit. He's wasted on the perimeter while the team is trying to find someone to button down the downfield support. "

"

We need to pick up some UDFA WRs. Those guys seem to be hard working and they always love the game. Biggest hearts in the NFL because of how they had to make it. I'm looking and Welker, Ammendola, Austin and Cruz (even though I hate the guy and want to stab him every time he salsa dances)

We need to pick up some UDFA WRs. Those guys seem to be hard working and they always love the game. Biggest hearts in the NFL because of how they had to make it. I'm looking and Welker, Ammendola, Austin and Cruz (even though I hate the guy and want to stab him every time he salsa dances)

I agree that there are always good prospects in the UDFA game, and you named some great ones.

It's funny that V.Cruz was going to be outright cut in the preseason last year until he had a great game against...Rex Ryan's GD Jets of all teams.

I can't stand the damn salsa dance either, and I thought that the bracket coverage with Arrington in the slot last year in the SB was tremendously effective with 4 catches for 25 yds.

It isn't the fact that we lost to the same team in the SB that keeps me up at night, it's how it was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News