PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alfonzo Dennard Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a reporter who covers the court system in New York frequently, I've seen police lie under oath many times and encountered many cases in which they've arrested people on false pretenses. Moreover I've seen DAs push forward with cases based upon the affidavits of officers who've already been successfully sued/officially sanctioned for lying on the stand. And I've seen judges hold those cases over for trial even knowing the histories of those officers.

For an officer to make up a story wholesale like this would be a bit unusual, but stretching a hard push into a punch in an arrest writeup is exactly the sort of thing that routinely happens. The most typical kind of lie a policeman tells in court is in the area of probable cause -- i.e., "I searched him because he made a furtive movement" or "I saw the outline of a knife in his pocket" or "I smelled marijuana from outside the car" -- but you see all kinds of things.

Obviously defendants lie, too, and the overwhelming majority of police are honest and do their jobs well. But police definitely do lie in court. I'm not saying that's what happened in this case, but from a distance it feels at least slightly overblown -- I'm not buying that it was an 8 out of 10, for instance. Then again, I don't buy Dennard's version that he was merely resisting a little, either.

how long have I been out?

I think I blacked out from shock, reading that post.

I didn't declare anything. But given your bias, I can understand why you took it that way.

rinse-lather-repeat

I'll reserve judgement until after the defense rests,

I won't insult your intelligence by inferring you actually believe that you've reserved judgement.

but nothing you have said can make anyone more comfortable with the notion that cops can be trusted....I know you can't

Ok so I can't be trusted because you disagree with me? Am I getting this right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Guess I'm just lucky that your internet mistrust is offset by 25 years of actually helping people and making a difference in the real world. Indeed it's the best job in the world and I've worked with some truly remarkable people over the years. I feel sorry for you because in your world cops are either dim witted and/or routinely abusive unless or until deemed otherwise. I made the mistake of trying to prove a negative with you. Shame on me.

A civilian punches a cop and is looking at up to five years in jail. A cop hits / shoots / assaults a civilian and receives a vacation and a promotion once the media forgets about the case.

Even if Dennard punched the guy the punishment he is facing is absolutely insane.

As stated in another post I've been hit more that a Khardashian...the fact that the crime could call for that sentence means zilch. In MA A&B on a P/O is a 2 1/2 year misdemeanor. You'd have better luck seeing Jimmy Hoffa in the Pats locker room than you would finding a first time offender who is serving that sentence.:D

Shout out to the police officer who tackled Fonze. I know I couldn't successfully tackle an NFL position player.

I take no issue with this and thank you for your objectivity. The reason why I jumped in this thread was because some thought that the cop telling the truth was not within the realm of possibility. None of us were there and my point was that you can't condemn the cop's actions with one breath while justifying Dennard's conduct. Some here will automatically equate the video being unclear to mean that it did (or did not) happen by default.

Admittedly I was annoyed at someone crtiquing police handcuffing as if they were a tactical and patrol procedure expert.

No worries from me and I was not trying to critique the police. I did work in this area and I still find the process interesting. ADA's make no money in Masssachusetts and I have a lot of respect of the people (some of whom are friends) who make a career of it as they definitely make personal sacrifices. In my opinion, its rare for witnesses on either side to testify to bald lies (although it certainly happens). Its human nature to shade things your way and there is no question that lawyers can influence phrasing ( without telling a witness to lie). It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if both Dennard and the police who arrested him believe they are each testifying honestly.

Havent looked much at this case... So whats the likelihood he gets time??

Alfonzo Dennard Trial is Today

rinse-lather-repeat

I won't insult your intelligence by inferring you actually believe that you've reserved judgement.

Ok so I can't be trusted because you disagree with me? Am I getting this right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Guess I'm just lucky that your internet mistrust is offset by 25 years of actually helping people and making a difference in the real world. Indeed it's the best job in the world and I've worked with some truly remarkable people over the years. I feel sorry for you because in your world cops are either dim witted and/or routinely abusive unless or until deemed otherwise. I made the mistake of trying to prove a negative with you. Shame on me.

Blah blah......funny bs coming from you.....many cops lie and are corrupt, and by your responses, you appear to be closer to the problem end than the making the world a better place end

Havent looked much at this case... So whats the likelihood he gets time??

I think different people will have different opinions, but the likelihood that he gets anywhere near the maximum punishment that many are reporting is about zero percent.

He could get some form of jail time, although there are a lot of different options such as a one year sentence where he gets out in 5-6 months, and lots of other alternatives such as a suspended jail term, etc.

I don't think that there would be a high chance of him being in jeopardy of missing games due to being incarcerated all the way into Aug/Sept, but that's just my opinion.

He is a first time offender who is a local college graduate and made a mistake, that's really what it comes down to. He's not scoring off the charts for the sentencing guidelines, so all of this talk about "5 years" and "7 years" etc is the absolute maximum that is given to people with severe records who have likely been in this exact same situation before.

The prosecution and injured officer may want to see him incarcerated for some small period of time however, so that may be a possibility. The amount of time is anyone's guess, but I personally couldn't imagine that it would be much more than 90-120 days myself.

The prosecution and injured officer may want to see him incarcerated for some small period of time however, so that may be a possibility. The amount of time is anyone's guess, but I personally couldn't imagine that it would be much more than 90-120 days myself.

What'd he hurt, his ego?

Blah blah......funny bs coming from you.....many cops lie and are corrupt, and by your responses, you appear to be closer to the problem end than the making the world a better place end

You are a sad, little man.

The times when I am or am not working is not relevant to the quality of my work else what is the quality of my work those times I am busy at 1am while you are under the covers inhaling your own farts?

Silly scientists...of course you could do more. Study new techniques, read trade articles, maybe take a few business courses that can actually help the company beyond your little rote routine. I've seen so many scientists ruin companies...they can't be trusted.

What conspiracy? It doesn't takes conspiracy to screw up on the job. In the end, if the facts bear out a guilty verdict, I have no problems with that. Doesn't mean I am going to take a cop at his word.....there is sufficient corruption in that profession to question it every time.

What corruption are you imagining in this case? Did someone pay the officer to "set him up"? Is there some magical profit hidden in this scheme somewhere that only an electrical engineer can see?

There is a difference between a healthy level of questioning authority and seeing the boogeyman around every corner.

I am still waiting to find that particular profession that does't have their fair share liars, cheats and idiots...even those with advanced degrees.

Silly scientists...of course you could do more. Study new techniques, read trade articles, maybe take a few business courses that can actually help the company beyond your little rote routine. I've seen so many scientists ruin companies...they can't be trusted.

Too busy giving seminars to take them....writing trade articles....developing new techniques....

Already far beyond your level of expectation......but keep it coming

What corruption are you imagining in this case? Did someone pay the officer to "set him up"? Is there some magical profit hidden in this scheme somewhere that only an electrical engineer can see?

There is a difference between a healthy level of questioning authority and seeing the boogeyman around every corner.

I am still waiting to find that particular profession that does't have their fair share liars, cheats and idiots...even those with advanced degrees.

Most of them don't require vows to uphold......or require you to put your hand on a bible and swear that you are being honest

Too busy giving seminars to take them....writing trade articles....developing new techniques....

Already far beyond your level of expectation......but keep it coming

Congratulations. Apparently you've learned everything. No wonder you think we should all defer to your brilliance.

Most of them don't require vows to uphold......or require you to put your hand on a bible and swear that you are being honest

Maybe you should take an ethics course if you think the vow should make a difference.

Maybe you should take an ethics course if you think the vow should make a difference.

Maybe not ..... Tell yourself that when comes to the public trust, the should not make a difference.

Congratulations. Apparently you've learned everything. No wonder you think we should all defer to your brilliance.

It is referred to as research and development ... There's always some thing new to learn, but I thought we were talking about something else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore