PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Police Target Patriots CB Alfonzo Dennard Before Arrest?

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Did Police Target Patriots CB Alfonzo Dennard Before Arrest?
By: Ian Logue

Boston Globe beat writer Ben Volin tweeted out an interesting take Sunday afternoon on Patriots corner back Alfonzo Dennard, who is facing DUI charges following his arrest in Lincoln Nebraska....

It certainly seems possible that that's what happened; dude just needs to stay out of Lincoln.

But it seemed odd to me that Volin would throw that out on Twitter, no attribution, no setup, just a couple of quick hits.

Sometimes getting out of town is the best move for athletes ... leave it for off season visits.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Although admittedly, I generally have a pretty low opinion of police.

Sometimes getting out of town is the best move for athletes ... leave it for off season visits.

Wasn't this recent incident in the off season? Sounds like he needs to just leave Nebraska for good. He may miss some friends, but if he flew them to MA for a week long visit he'd probably see them more than if he was relying on them to come visit him in jail, and it seems like that's where Nebraska is determined to put him.

i don't know,but he and his entourage could think to delete Nebraska from his map....

I have a better idea then "never going to NB again" if that is what happened. Fire/charge/jail the cop that arrested him. Staying out of NB because the cops in one city don't like you is just insane. This isnt china!

i don't know,but he and his entourage could think to delete Nebraska from his map....
I agree about deleting Nebraska from his map (might have to complete his community service first) but I also think he should delete having any beer or other alcohol before driving regardless of where he lives.

Article mentions he hit an out of uniform officer. Someone posted a week or so ago, that the officer was in uniform. So, I guess I am not sure which version is true.

If he only had 1-2 beers.....how come he can't remember if it was one or if it was two? He remembers the hours he slept. Guess he was still too tired to blow a sufficient amount of air into the breathalizer.
If I was Dennard, I'd switch strategies ASAP. Blaming the cops the first time around didn't work out so well.....why go down the same path.
And the notion the cops would pick on him because they WON the first go around seems implausible....unless they know the kid is a walking/driving menace......now that I'd buy.
I hope he at least has the good sense to switch attorneys.

I have a better idea then "never going to NB again" if that is what happened. Fire/charge/jail the cop that arrested him. Staying out of NB because the cops in one city don't like you is just insane. This isnt china!

Hear Hear! There are way too many rouge cops in this country, not that I want to make this the topic of this thread.

BTW, I believe Dennard has to do his community service in Nebraska.

Just another athlete not willing to take responsibility for his actions. Never drink and drive, period. One or two beers affect people differently. Some it's like they've had nothing, others can barely walk.

It is certainly possible. Seems like the prosecution has it out for him. They refused to plead his case down which happens very frequently in cases like this. They were quick to file a grievance to revoke his probation. So quick in fact, that were even ready for the hearing last week and the hearing was pushed to the end of August so the prosecution could get their ducks in a row. You would think the prosecution would have everything they need before they file a grievance.

I am not one to buy into conspiracy theories all that quickly, but it wouldn't shock me if the police did see him over because he was a black man in all white city (only 3% of Lincoln's population is black) and when they found out who he was they railroaded him. I doubt this is the case, but I don't see that it is impossible that it didn't go down this way.

If he only had 1-2 beers.....how come he can't remember if it was one or if it was two? He remembers the hours he slept. Guess he was still too tired to blow a sufficient amount of air into the breathalizer.
If I was Dennard, I'd switch strategies ASAP. Blaming the cops the first time around didn't work out so well.....why go down the same path.
And the notion the cops would pick on him because they WON the first go around seems implausible....unless they know the kid is a walking/driving menace......now that I'd buy.
I hope he at least has the good sense to switch attorneys.
I don't know if it's true in this case, but i wouldn't describe the notion as "implausible", and I say that as someone who has friends and family in law enforcement. I wouldn't discount the possibility out of hand.

Wasn't this recent incident in the off season? Sounds like he needs to just leave Nebraska for good. He may miss some friends, but if he flew them to MA for a week long visit he'd probably see them more than if he was relying on them to come visit him in jail, and it seems like that's where Nebraska is determined to put him.

I think his probation limits his ability to move. He only has permission to travel for work currently.

I already miss plowing Ms. Cornholio's fertile soil...:D

I think I heard he was there to do his court mandated community service.

That would make sense if so. That makes it even more ironic if he were targeted.

Barring that I agree - get the hell outta Dodge

It is certainly possible. Seems like the prosecution has it out for him. They refused to plead his case down which happens very frequently in cases like this. They were quick to file a grievance to revoke his probation. So quick in fact, that were even ready for the hearing last week and the hearing was pushed to the end of August so the prosecution could get their ducks in a row. You would think the prosecution would have everything they need before they file a grievance.

With all due respect Rob, as explained in detail multiple times now--

the VOP arraignment took place last week and the next step in the hearing is scheduled for 8/27, which is the usual standard for VOP cases in Nebraska.

The arraignment took place....and the next step was scheduled for the usual approx. 30 days later period. That is standard procedure in that state. First there is an arraignment (which already happened last week), and then there is the next step which is normally scheduled for approx. 30 days later, which was scheduled per the usual standard.

There was nothing "pushed back." Not sure why you keep defying this fact? In that particular state they have a process which entails multiple steps, but there certainly wasn't anything "pushed back" on any form whatsoever. Everything went totally scheduled. The one and only difference was that Dennard's attorneys asked to move the arraignment of VOP hearing up a week, so that he wouldn't miss another day of TC on July 31st. By moving the first step up a week they were able to have it before camp started. Refusing to believe me is one thing, but here's a quote from the Herald from 4 days ago to help convince you:

"Yesterday’s court appearance didn’t change the probation revocation timetable too much. If Dennard arrived as scheduled next Wednesday, he was still expected to get his hearing at the end of August or perhaps the beginning of September." - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/patr...ard_back_in_court_in_neb#sthash.grotxcE3.dpuf

If anything, the fact that the prosecution wasn't even ready to arraign him almost a week early, yet still managed to give a compelling argument and actually ended up successful in their arraignment proceedings should tell you that they certainly have a case.

The only question is whether or not Dennard's attorneys can get the next step on 8/27 postponed all the way until after the season, which will be extremely difficult to do. That's why the main concern isn't necessarily what the punishment will be--but when it occurs, since it's almost guaranteed to happen at some point during the season. Of course Dennard's attorneys will be trying like hell to get a couple of postponements, but then the question arises as to "why" they weren't successful last week if it's going to be that simple? The only thing we can do is hope.

But it seemed odd to me that Volin would throw that out on Twitter, no attribution, no setup, just a couple of quick hits.

It's also very odd that Volin stated the incorrect information of the officer being "out of uniform," when the prosecutor and the police officer both stated/testified that he was in fact a part of a 4 officer team who were on bicycles patrolling the bar area that night, had their radios, nightsticks, guns, and handcuffs on them--along with wearing all black with helmets on.

There seems to be some grey area to what some people consider "in uniform," so this would explain the controversy; but when an officer is part of a 4 cop team on bicycles who are communicating with their radios back and forth, and they are all carrying their handcuffs, one would lean towards them being easily identified in public.

"Out of uniform" would be defined in my opinion as an undercover narcotics agent who is on a buy/bust job that were wearing college sweatshirts and ballcaps, not a team of 4 officers who are wearing all black, but to each his own. Just thought I'd shed some light on why there has been so much controversy on this subject, but if you go back and read some of the earlier comments and court articles written this year in the spring from the local Nebraska newspapers they do make mention of this. I actually found one a couple of weeks ago and posted it in a thread, but I'm not going to go back and shuffle through multiple articles at 1:30 in the morning again. The official court testimony and statements from the ADA at the time stated that they were part of a 4 man team who were on bicycle patrol and apparently dressed in the usual all-black attire that we see in our towns every day.

If the officer wasn't in identifiable gear (as Volin seems to hint at), then 2 things come to mind:

1. It'd have been pretty difficult to honestly prove that Dennard knew that it was a cop, which would also mean that the charges of assaulting an officer would have also been more difficult to gain a conviction.

2. But much more importantly--Dennard certainly and obviously would have used this in his defense...and he didn't even try. His only defense was that he definitely resisted arrest when the cop tried to cuff him, and that he swung his arm around, but he claims that he doesn't think he connected at all.

That all said--I wouldn't dispute the fact for a second that the Lincoln cops have it out for him. That's unfortunately what happens sometimes, especially when you assualt one of their own.

Alfonzo Dennard currently has an apartment in Lincoln, Nebraska. I'm not sure where he lives full time )or what he considers "full time"), or how often he returns "home," but he definitely has an apartment there. It's been stated in at least a couple of articles that I've read. It appears that he has a girlfriend who lives in the town of Lincoln, along with many friends.

I agree that he should definitely consider staying away from there.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back