PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alfonzo Dennard not expected to play against Broncos, maybe longer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our offense is going to have to be our defense. Obviously we need to put up points. But nice long drives with a good run game as well as passing to keep Manning off the field as much as possible is key to winning. We can not let Manning wear down this already depleted defense

This is exactly the way I feel, regardless of whether Dennard is in there.

My guess is that, if the D weighs in at all in the final decision, it will be in taking advantage of an opportunity to produce a turnover in a crucial moment.

Bring in Antwaun Molden? Nnamdi Asomugha?

At least take a chance with Nnamdi

How good would Brent Grimes look in this line-up right about now? I really wish the team would have brought him in here this off season but c'est la vie.

Judging by the tone of this thread, most of you will have some free time this sunday night...

Maybe Edelman will get some reps in the defensive secondary this week a-la- the Troy Brown experiment.

Judging by the tone of this thread, most of you will have some free time this sunday night...

Nah, I'm sure everyone will be watching. I just think a good majority of us have our hopes tempered a bit at the same time, at least for this specific game anyway; and the only real reason is due to the significant injury situation in the secondary now.

Personally, I still think we will be very competitive and it will be within a 7-10 pt score either way. I just think the odds are rather decent that Manning gets a win in Foxborough, which doesn't seem to happen too often.

this team needs a new strength and conditioning coach, to many injuries year after year

It's probably been said already in this thread, but if the Pats are without Talib (re-injured hip) and Dennard, that'll mean we'll be playing the freaking Denver Broncos passing juggernaut with Arrington and Ryan as our primary corners.

Holy smokes, they could give up 56 points in this game without even breaking a sweat.

this team needs a new strength and conditioning coach, to many injuries year after year
What changed since the previous two years with Nash as the head S&C coach and the six before that when he was the assistant?

I sure will.... will be cursing off the top off my lungs, all the way from section 327 @ Gillette! :mad:

LET'S GO PATS!!!!

Bring in Antwaun Molden? Nnamdi Asomugha?

At least take a chance with Nnamdi

I agree. I bet he could be had cheaply, he's at least an experienced veteran with man to man cover skills. He might get roasted out there but I think it'd be worth a shot. It would only cost a little money, no draft picks.

There probably isn't a fantasy football fan that is going to not put Peyton on top of every contest they play next weekend.

Peyton might rival Romo's 500 yards that he had a few weeks ago.

Even a Pats fan that plays these games Has to be tempted against a division AA secondary this Pats team will field Sunday Night.

It's going to be ugly....very ugly.

How good would Brent Grimes look in this line-up right about now? I really wish the team would have brought him in here this off season but c'est la vie.

I wanted him as well...oh well. And for those wanting Aso. Cole may be better right now...

So becasue i think they will lose...i won't be watching the game? I don't watch the game in homer glasses...

This is downright depressing at this point. We don't even have enough DB's to have a secondary anymore. I'm not throwing in the towel but hope for this season is at an all time low.

This is downright depressing at this point. We don't even have enough DB's to have a secondary anymore. I'm not throwing in the towel but hope for this season is at an all time low.

I understand what you're saying, but let's keep things in perspective.

"Hope for this season is at an all-time low?" Even if we lose to DEN, the team is still 7-4, with a very good shot at winning 4/5 games to close the season out.

That would give us an 11-5 record and at least a shot at the #2 seed, although we'd need some help/losses by other teams.

The biggest issue is that we're all frustrated and don't have much time to deal with the whole thing due to DEN coming in vs our extremely injured defense. The whole fanbase is probably going to have to get used to it until after the Thanksgiving weekend, when we can hopefully turn things around vs HOU.

In other words, settle in for the next 11-12 days--although I hope I'm wrong and we upset DEN.

I understand what you're saying, but let's keep things in perspective.

"Hope for this season is at an all-time low?" Even if we lose to DEN, the team is still 7-4, with a very good shot at winning 4/5 games to close the season out.

That would give us an 11-5 record and at least a shot at the #2 seed, although we'd need some help/losses by other teams.

The biggest issue is that we're all frustrated and don't have much time to deal with the whole thing due to DEN coming in vs our extremely injured defense. The whole fanbase is probably going to have to get used to it until after the Thanksgiving weekend, when we can hopefully turn things around vs HOU.

In other words, settle in for the next 11-12 days--although I hope I'm wrong and we upset DEN.

If it's anything like any of our games this season then it'll be down to the wire in which case we totally stand a chance.

If it's anything like any of our games this season then it'll be down to the wire in which case we totally stand a chance.

Aside from anyone's personal opinion on what the odds are vs Manning and Denver this weekend, I don't believe that we need to feel at an "all-time low" for the season.

A little more than 24 hrs ago we were coming off a long break at 7-2, and were extremely hopeful. Not too much is going to change over the course of one or two games when they take place in November.

In 2011 we lost back to back games vs PIT and the NYG, yet still went to the SB. That is basically the point.

Look, I know many are giving into despair because of the huge nature of Monday night's game, how poorly the pass D played most of the game, and the loss itself. And I am not particularly optimistic about beating the Broncos though I do not think it is an automatic. But perspective is needed here desperately:

Consider that the Panthers had a bunch of long drives severely limiting the Patriots' possessions. Also consider that the Panthers were/are considered one of the best defenses in the league. Consider that the Patriots fumbled away one sure scoring opportunity and shot themselves right in the foot on another promising drive (nothing to do with anything else) on the very unfoced and unnecessary 15 yard penalty by Mankins. Consider that ST's nor turnovers nor anything provided the Patriots any decent field position. They had to drive/earn every damn point! Consider ALL that then consider the Patriots were moving the ball, at times, with excellence. The Patriots offense absolutely looks ready to shift into high gear. Stop those unforced errors (Oh Ridley babe, you're killin me!) and the Patriots probably put up 30 against one of the best defenses in the league (one that has not given up 30) even with the conspicuously low possession total (imagine if they got a normal possession total? how many points they could have racked up??).

As it gets colder/weather, the very important aspect, punting and kicking kicks in, the P and K game remains very good.

On defense, the DL looked more stout in the run game than maybe any game this season. While not watching every play on the DL (if they were getting collapsed/pushed around regularly I didn't see it), the DL held it's ground frequently, even looking nasty on some plays! Considering this was/is a SERIOUS concern coming into the game......that was very very nice to see the Patriots keeping the Panther rushing game in check. Their pass rush not great at times, but it had some moments too. Yet we all know the Patriots have some pass rushing capability. And while they did let Cam slither away a few times and that was it's biggest failure (IMHO), however, Cam's specialty is doing just that and he might be the very best in the NFL at doing that. Hard to get too upset for that happening a few times.
Obviously pass D looked BAD. The anchor of that is Talib and he was not good Monday night. Was it injury? Was it rust? Smith got in his head? Just had a bad night? I don't know but this might have been his worst game as a Patriot. But Talib is in fact one of the upper CBs in the league. No way does he not provide better overall performances in almost every game we have left/he plays in. And as long as that happens to even some degree, his contribiution will make this secondary look MUCH better (remember when a team's best receiver could be largely taken away by Talib? Remember Atl and Saints and what talib did??? This WILL happen again!). And who says Dennard will not be back for a while??? Maybe next week! None of us know where he is at and BB sure ain;t going to let it be known. So There is hope that our two top CB's will be playing against Denver.

Bottom line, the Patriots offense looks like it is coming into it's own! Don't shoot itself in the foot and this O can score 30 on anyone. And we can move the ball like that against the Panthers then we can sure do it against the Broncos too. Defense? The secondary was strength and it will be again, maybe this Sunday. And the DL looks like it is gelling in terms of run stout-ness. There is LOTS to faith in.....not just homerism.....tangible things that will make the Patriots play well as the stretch unfolds. Mark it down, you heard it here first :D

Look, I know many are giving into despair because of the huge nature of Monday night's game, how poorly the pass D played most of the game, and the loss itself. And I am not particularly optimistic about beating the Broncos though I do not think it is an automatic. But perspective is needed here desperately:

Consider that the Panthers had a bunch of long drives severely limiting the Patriots' possessions. Also consider that the Panthers were/are considered one of the best defenses in the league. Consider that the Patriots fumbled away one sure scoring opportunity and shot themselves right in the foot on another promising drive (nothing to do with anything else) on the very unfoced and unnecessary 15 yard penalty by Mankins. Consider that ST's nor turnovers nor anything provided the Patriots any decent field position. They had to drive/earn every damn point! Consider ALL that then consider the Patriots were moving the ball, at times, with excellence. The Patriots offense absolutely looks ready to shift into high gear. Stop those unforced errors (Oh Ridley babe, you're killin me!) and the Patriots probably put up 30 against one of the best defenses in the league (one that has not given up 30) even with the conspicuously low possession total (imagine if they got a normal possession total? how many points they could have racked up??).

As it gets colder/weather, the very important aspect, punting and kicking kicks in, the P and K game remains very good.

On defense, the DL looked more stout in the run game than maybe any game this season. While not watching every play on the DL (if they were getting collapsed/pushed around regularly I didn't see it), the DL held it's ground frequently, even looking nasty on some plays! Considering this was/is a SERIOUS concern coming into the game......that was very very nice to see the Patriots keeping the Panther rushing game in check. Their pass rush not great at times, but it had some moments too. Yet we all know the Patriots have some pass rushing capability. And while they did let Cam slither away a few times and that was it's biggest failure (IMHO), however, Cam's specialty is doing just that and he might be the very best in the NFL at doing that. Hard to get too upset for that happening a few times.
Obviously pass D looked BAD. The anchor of that is Talib and he was not good Monday night. Was it injury? Was it rust? Smith got in his head? Just had a bad night? I don't know but this might have been his worst game as a Patriot. But Talib is in fact one of the upper CBs in the league. No way does he not provide better overall performances in almost every game we have left/he plays in. And as long as that happens to even some degree, his contribiution will make this secondary look MUCH better (remember when a team's best receiver could be largely taken away by Talib? Remember Atl and Saints and what talib did??? This WILL happen again!). And who says Dennard will not be back for a while??? Maybe next week! None of us know where he is at and BB sure ain;t going to let it be known. So There is hope that our two top CB's will be playing against Denver.

Bottom line, the Patriots offense looks like it is coming into it's own! Don't shoot itself in the foot and this O can score 30 on anyone. And we can move the ball like that against the Panthers then we can sure do it against the Broncos too. Defense? The secondary was strength and it will be again, maybe this Sunday. And the DL looks like it is gelling in terms of run stout-ness. There is LOTS to faith in.....not just homerism.....tangible things that will make the Patriots play well as the stretch unfolds. Mark it down, you heard it here first :D

I ****** love this post!

Let's remember too, Denver also coming here banged up. Welker as a concussion, J Thomas banged up his knee, and Manning playing on 2 hurt ankles. Whatever struggles we have in our secondary can be helped with a good pass rush. Jones, Ninko, Carter, Chris Jones, these guys need to get in Manning face. And I think they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Back