PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alex Smith no longer the starting QB in San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are overreacting and the 49ers will be just fine.

Nice move Harbaugh.

Nice move.

Though not being benched for a rookie, Doug Flutie led the 1999 Bills to 10-5 record and was benched by Wade Phillips with one game left and playoff game for Rob Johnson who lost in the first round (Music City Miracle) . Flutie was solid and many questioned the wisdom of the move, rightfully so.

Remember, folks, this is the same Wade Phillips who said that the Cowboys' goal for the Patriots was to stop the run game and force Tom Brady to win the game with his arm. . . .

In 2007. :nooo:

Remember, folks, this is the same Wade Phillips who said that the Cowboys' goal for the Patriots was to stop the run game and force Tom Brady to win the game with his arm. . . .

No way! He actually said that?? And it wasn't something he accidentally got backwards? Was drunk? Skipped his medicine? Thought Tom Brady played for another team?
And to think, this guy got multiple HC jobs......

in fairness to Wade. He's turned that Texas D around in very quick time. And without Mario

No..but his first start ever was on monday..rookie in my book

If you don't know the difference between a rookie starting with about 8 weeks of preseason/TCs behind him to adjust to a brand new offense AND the NFL at the same time versus a 2nd year player with 16 MONTHS of practice and at least 20 games of NFL game planning prep, who is working for the 2nd year on the same playbook/offensive setup............

Whatever.

Smith told ESPN that coach Jim Harbaugh informed the two quarterbacks of the practice split Wednesday.

The move seemingly would put Kaepernick on track to start against the Saints; players who receive first-team reps usually draw starts for that week's game. Harbaugh said earlier Wednesday the QB for the NFC West-leading Niners (7-2-1) could change week to week, and even during the course of a game.
Smith plans to fight for his job once he is fully healthy, but he had yet to be medically cleared Wednesday after missing Monday night's 32-7 rout of the Bears while recovering from a concussion.
Everybody jumping on Harbaugh; a bit PREMATURELY

he hasnt NAMED Kapernick the STARTER, nominally not even in this next game, but in effect of course he has {named him starter vs saints}.

Considering, the NFL is taking this concussion thing to a (almost absurdly ) high level of concern. Holding out Smith another week is not that outrageous a decision in light of that.

Last edited:
Considering, the NFL is taking this concussion thing to a (almost absurdly ) high level of concern. Holding out Smith another week is not that outrageous a decision in light of that.

I think with all the talk of litigation from ex players its not hard to understand why the NFL are taking it seriously.

You should count yourself lucky. In rugby union its a three week minimum benching.

Last edited:
Feel bad for? He's the definition of a game manager.

So he's throwing for 192 yards a game. The 29th lowest in the NFL. We're talking lower than Mark Sanchez and Matt Cassel.

His QB rating is irrelevant, unless you actually think he's the 3rd best QB in the NFL and above Brady, as that's where it has him ranked.

Wow, Smith wins one playoff game against an awful defense and that justifies him starting?

Reminds me of the old "Mark Sanchez has led the Jets to two AFC Championship games!" argument.

Just wanna bump this post, because people need to read it.

considering, the NFL is taking this concussion thing to a (almost absurdly ) high level of concern. Holding out Smith another week is not that outrageous a decision in light of that.

Agreed, it would not be unreasonable given the heightened sensitivity to injuries/concussions..... except the premise of the thread/discussion is based on the OP's "told smith colin was replacing him and it wasn't based on health".
And while this is only a "source" reporting this, nothing wrong with a topic discussion based on a source is there??

Out with the old and in with the new.
The Pats made that move in 2000 too.
Before the NFL knew what they had done.
They ended up on an historic NFL run.

I think Alex Smith sucks and was clearly the weak spot of that team. If the new kid is a better QB (very likely) then it's a great move to go to him.

This (move?) kind of explains the lack of interest by the 9ers in P6. They already felt they had the QB they wanted.

And who also said after the game that the best team did not win the game. What a tool.

Though not being benched for a rookie, Doug Flutie led the 1999 Bills to 10-5 record and was benched by Wade Phillips with one game left and playoff game for Rob Johnson who lost in the first round (Music City Miracle) . Flutie was solid and many questioned the wisdom of the move, rightfully so.

Gawd I remember that so well. I was on USENET in the 90s and frequented the Jets and Bills newsgroups. Rob was such a tool. Got sacked like clockwork but he was tall (true) and had a strong arm (not true) so Bills fans and coaches just HAD to start him. He invariably lost and Flutie invariably won, just like he did in NE, undefeated at Schaeffer.

And no, I'm not a BC fan.

If Colin "whatever is name is" starts against US that 49ers game just got even tougher sure wish we would face Smith. I think their skill position players are happy with the move. They have all the pieces on Offense and Defense to win it all it was Smith who was holding them back.

I say Harbaugh is about to eat his humble pie this Sunday at the MB Super Dome....

WHO DAT!

Good move for the long haul. Risky move to do it now though especially if Kaepernick goes through a rough patch. But him getting enough experience the next 6 games and be primed for a playoff gives them a better chance to win a SB. I mean Alex Smith is a ****ty QB. He's Mark Sanchez a couple of years ago.

i think some of you guys are downplaying just how hard it is to win the superbowl
Smith has been solid but Kapernick has way more potential and its a gamble for sure, but sometimes you have to take risks to win a championship.

If Colin "whatever is name is" starts against US that 49ers game just got even tougher sure wish we would face Smith. I think their skill position players are happy with the move. They have all the pieces on Offense and Defense to win it all it was Smith who was holding them back.

Holding them back? Really? They were a fumble away from making the Super Bowl last year and since Harbaugh got him settled on the offense he's been an above average QB with a W/L of 19-6-1 in games hes started (inc playoffs). Smith isn't spectacular but a good, well-rounded team can certainly contend and perhaps even win a SB with him.

Kaepernick seems pretty good but to emphatically state after 1 career start that hes the missing ingredient to a SB title is a stretch.

With the 49ers being as strong as they are as a team, I can see Smith Dilfering his way to a SB with them. Smith is a good piece to a solid team and system, and I thought the arrangement worked out pretty well. Kaepernick gives them a dynamic element that will probably bring more highs and lows than Smith did.

When you balance it out at the end of the day, I'm not sure this move really affects the 49ers chances significantly.

Kaepernick seems pretty good but to emphatically state after 1 career start that hes the missing ingredient to a SB title is a stretch.

Couldn't agree more. Especially since it was a home game. I'm not saying he's not good, but one game on your home turf is not an indication, and certainly not a reason swap starting QBs. He did a good job against the Bears, but the real bears did not show up.

I'm REALLY curious to see how he fares up on the road, in a loud venue, against a good offensive opponent.... oh wait, we will find out this coming Sunday... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes