Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
told smith colin was replacing him and it wasn't based on health

1,731 yards 70% comp. pct. 13 TDs 5 INTs 104.1 QBR

Almost feel bad for the guy, not sure if it's the right decision either.

1,731 yards 70% comp. pct. 13 TDs 5 INTs 104.1 QBR

Almost feel bad for the guy, not sure if it's the right decision either.

I feel worse for us since Harbaugh just replaced a QB with a 104.1 QB rating who was also good enough to get them to the NFC Championship game last year.

Every indication points to this being an upgrade and SF being an even tougher team by the time we face them.

We can only hope it blows up in Harbaugh's face, cause I find it kind of crappy to do this to Smith. He'll find a job though.

Does anyone know of a similar situation like this happening, when a QB that's been as solid as Smith has, basically having the best season of his career, gets benched after a 6-2 start for a rookie, and it wasn't injury related?

Last edited:
ppening, when a QB that's been as solid as Smith has, basically having the best season of his career, gets benched after a 6-2 start for a rookie, and it wasn't injury related?

Though not being benched for a rookie, Doug Flutie led the 1999 Bills to 10-5 record and was benched by Wade Phillips with one game left and playoff game for Rob Johnson who lost in the first round (Music City Miracle) . Flutie was solid and many questioned the wisdom of the move, rightfully so.

Last edited:
Pretty big risk for someone who''s had 1 good game.

That's so stupid

Watch this ruin any confidence Smith has built up, just to start some kid that showed promise.

A ballsy decision yet seemingly little upside unless the 49ers win every game left. The 9ers are currently on top of their division and are very close to being the best in the NFC. Seems like a formula you do not mess with. Harbaugh must be thoroughly convinced the new guy makes the team better. Yet the new guy is a rookie. He will have rookie bumps in the road coming.....especially in the playoffs. This decision is a WOW!

If I am Smith I am on the phone with my agent....

A ballsy decision yet seemingly little upside unless the 49ers win every game left. The 9ers are currently on top of their division and are very close to being the best in the NFC. Seems like a formula you do not mess with. Harbaugh must be thoroughly convinced the new guy makes the team better. Yet the new guy is a rookie. He will have rookie bumps in the road coming.....especially in the playoffs. This decision is a WOW!

The only thing I can think of is that Smith has achieved his efficiency by the fact Harbaugh has kept it ultra conservative.

He's the 4th best rated passer, but only has 1731 yards and 13 TD's. On the Total QBR though, he's ranked 11th with a 41. Kaepernick just put up a 90+. Personally, I just can't argue with Smith's 70% completion percentage even if he is conservative.

I'm thinking Harbaugh wants a more productive passing offense with the added rushing threat. If he's right Colin could elevate his team to an all around juggernaut, rather than just a defensive beast.

Alex Smith gets benched after bringing them to the playoffs last year. Crazy!!!! At least Tebow's job is safe in Denver after beating the Steelers in epic fashion.

Though not being benched for a rookie, Doug Flutie led the 1999 Bills to 10-5 record and was benched by Wade Phillips with one game left and playoff game for Rob Johnson who lost in the first round (Music City Miracle) . Flutie was solid and many questioned the wisdom of the move, rightfully so.

Thanks. Was Flutie slipping or it was a similar decision where they just felt it would be an improvement?

Reason I ask is I remember Smith going 18/19 against Arizona two weeks ago and putting up a 157.1 passer rating. So he wasn't just having a great season, but just came out of a game where he completed at 94%!

It's just kind of crazy to think that. And franchises like the Jets hang with Mark Sanchez for 4 years....

That's a raw deal for Alex Smith. But that's been the story for his entire career. It's really unfortunate.

We can only hope it blows up in Harbaugh's face, cause I find it kind of crappy to do this to Smith. He'll find a job though.

Does anyone know of a similar situation like this happening, when a QB that's been as solid as Smith has, basically having the best season of his career, gets benched after a 6-2 start for a rookie, and it wasn't injury related?

Tom Brady replacing Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe never got his job back.

he already was last year, when they wanted to sign 5head... :rolleyes:

We were not 6-2 though. And Bledsoe didn't make the NFC Championship the year before. We went 5-11 in 2000 with Bledsoe and he had a pretty mediocre year. This is a very different situation.

I'm not just looking at Smith's stats this year, but the way he played in the playoffs last year too. I can't get his performance against the Saints out of my mind. He was superb.

Big difference here. The Patriots were coming off a 5-11 season and started out 0-2, they were sinking fast and Brady turned everything around. Smith led the 49ers to the NFCC last year, SHOULD have led them to the SB but their return man lost the game for them.

Also Brady had played way more than one game when BB made the decision.

Sounds more like to me Harbaugh is messing with the Saints gameplan.

hes got cahones thats for sure, if this guy throws a pick to lose a game in the playoffs hes gonna be second guessed to death, if they dont make it to the super bowl he'll be second guessed.

I've read some reports alluding to Colin being more of a Harbaugh guy, a football 24/7 kind of guy.

Of course it could also be money. I don't think they ever really released the details of Smith's contract extension. They are a lock to make the playoffs again and who knows what kind of clause Smith's contract had in there. Could have been a decision based on the fact they would have had to pay Smith a ton of cash and maybe Harbaugh doesn't want to get locked in with him.

Not that it would be any less crappy. I'm just spinning my wheels here. We probably won't really find out until after Smith gets traded. If he gets traded. All I know is if Colin stinks it up and they got back to Smith again, boy...if I'm Smith I don't know if I'd want to keep playing for them.

If his performance doesn't earn you security, what does?

hes got cahones thats for sure, if this guy throws a pick to lose a game in the playoffs hes gonna be second guessed to death, if they dont make it to the super bowl he'll be second guessed.

Would make my year if this happened in the SB versus the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes