PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ Green to Pats a lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green is a great great player - but I really would take Baldwin if truth be told. I think he's a better route runner, for a start.

Interesting. McShay said the exact opposite. Said Green is a great talent who can really run routes while Baldwin is a physical talent whose route running is questionable.

Regardless, I hope we take the one that turns out to be the best pro.

Great in principle, but...name a tackle worth taking with the Oakland pick. They're just not there this year.

really?? Not one stand out this year? I hope you are wrong. If you are not..... it is not your fault that the talent is low there.;)

If that is the case then feel free to switch my order.:)

1st round Tackles are great first round investments..... it seems like they have a very low bust rate.:cool:

Last edited:
I hope you are wrong. If you are not..... it is not your fault that the talent is low there.;)

Aw, you're too kind!

Unfortunately, the offensive line in general is considered to be a major weak point of this draft.

Unless we are gonna sign a wr from a free agency standpoint then we might have to draft a wr in the draft.I am worry with what we have now.:(

Unless we are gonna sign a wr from a free agency standpoint then we might have to draft a wr in the draft.I am worry with what we have now.:(

Worry? Welker, Branch, Tate, Hernandez, Edelman, Gronkowski... this is a pretty deep group. All of them have produced for us.

But, hey, if we can find a Larry Fitzgerald in this draft class, I wont say no.

Aw, you're too kind!

Unfortunately, the offensive line in general is considered to be a major weak point of this draft.

Very true, but I could see BB taking as many as three OL guys in this draft.

I love Pugh and Ziemba from Auburn, they are nasty and really maul defenders right through the echo of the whistle. (although it should be pointed out that Auburn does not employ a zone blocking scheme similar to ours)

I also spent last Saturday watching Boiling of Ga. maul Florida defenders all day long. Maybe he could be Koppen's replacement. Definitely Mankins.

I also like Hix of Texas as a possible ROT candidate.

Several other candidates I like include Wenger of Notre Dame an O'Dowd of USC as candidates at center.

Carmini and Moffitt of Wisconsin are absolutely brutal on defenders and Carmini tooled Heyward a few weeks ago.

There are a lot of day 2 and day 3 guys that project really well in our scheme and at this point I could see BB making a move to draft 3 of them.

Which players come from a similar system to ours? Do you think Nate Solder would work?

Which players come from a similar system to ours? Do you think Nate Solder would work?

There are a lot of zone scheme teams scattered around the country. Houston is running a scheme similar to ours as is Texas. Plus a ton of other schools running a variation of it from Virginia to Purdue to San Diego State.

Solder might work as a ROT, but while he is physically gifted, his technique is awful and I am not sure what kind of coaching he is getting in Colorado.

Interesting. McShay said the exact opposite. Said Green is a great talent who can really run routes while Baldwin is a physical talent whose route running is questionable.

Regardless, I hope we take the one that turns out to be the best pro.

Green is probably ranked first or second on my board in terms of hands and route running. His catching radius extends beyond his body and that means high balls as well as balls to the left or right.

Julio Jones is #1 in blocking by a mile. Almost Hines Ward good at blocking. And that is the highest compliment I can pay a WR for blocking.

Green is probably ranked first or second on my board in terms of hands and route running. His catching radius extends beyond his body and that means high balls as well as balls to the left or right.

Julio Jones is #1 in blocking by a mile. Almost Hines Ward good at blocking. And that is the highest compliment I can pay a WR for blocking.

From a receiving skills standpoint, Green is a phenomenal talent. I'd rather have Jones though. He's huge, athletic, and absolutely fearless. Having him split wide is basically having a TE out there. He's also from a run-first team, so he's learned how to shut up.

From a receiving skills standpoint, Green is a phenomenal talent. I'd rather have Jones though. He's huge, athletic, and absolutely fearless. Having him split wide is basically having a TE out there. He's also from a run-first team, so he's learned how to shut up.

You just described Green (with about 10lbs of muscle), Baldwin as he is, and Jones as he is but the drops scare me away from Julio a bit.

They talked a bit about Green in the 'Scout Talk' podcast on Nationalfootballpost.com. Both Bunting and Gabriel seem to like Green as a receiver and Bunting thinks that he can be physical when running after the catch, but they think that he shows little to no effort as a blocker in the running game.

They also talked a bit about Michael Floyd and it seems like he bulked up to much. Bunting said that Floyd is playing now at 228 and that he has lost his agility and shiftyness due to the added weight.

If NE feels they need a big outside the numbers WR, I'd prefer they look at someone like Armon Binns in the 3rd or 4th and use the top four picks for other talents.

If NE feels they need a big outside the numbers WR, I'd prefer they look at someone like Armon Binns in the 3rd or 4th and use the top four picks for other talents.

I remember watching a Bama game, where John Parker Wilson underthrew Jones by like 10 whole yards. Jones came and made a safety-like play on the ball, hitting the DB and jarring the interception loose. It was beastly.

I remember watching a Bama game, where John Parker Wilson underthrew Jones by like 10 whole yards. Jones came and made a safety-like play on the ball, hitting the DB and jarring the interception loose. It was beastly.
I've got a good impression of Jones as a multi-dimensional player, but he's projected into round one and I'm not sure NE's best value is WR in round one.

I've got a good impression of Jones as a multi-dimensional player, but he's projected into round one and I'm not sure NE's best value is WR in round one.

Jones' value is so hard to judge right now because everyone see's him differently. Some have him as a top 10 pick while others give him a second round grade because of his issues catching the ball and the strength of this WR group. With the strength of this recieving class I could see teams passing on a wideout in the 1st to take better value later on. In this case I could see Jones falling into the early 2nd where the Carolina pick could definately come into play. If he fell that far I would have no hesitation grabbing him. While Green is currently the best WR in the draft, I believe Jones is the best fit. He would fit the Pats current dink and dunk offence while also giving them a big time deep threat. The reason I like Julio so much is the same reason I like Ingram, he can just offer so many new dimensions to this offence. As someone already mentioned he plays in a run first offence so he doesnt always need the ball in his hands to be happy, and with his blocking he always has an impact.

With the lack of needs this team has I wouldnt at all be against moving up with the mid round picks and some future picks in order to get three 1st's. My dream scenerio would be Da'Quan Bowers, Mark Ingram and Julio Jones in the 1st, with OL depth in the middle rounds. In terms of WR being value in the first round, im just not in love with any of the players in the mid to late first. The DL dont fit the system, the value for OL just isnt there out of the skill position players I like Jones the most. Sure its a luxury but its one the Pats can afford.

I agree, Wilf! And adding some Alabama players will surely add even more of a "winning mentality" to the team, just like adding Florida players did last year. And then again, Saban makes 'Bama a Belichick-friendly program.

I don't see Belichick spending a top 10 pick on a WR. Seems to violate all that value stuff that he preaches. This Oakland pick is going toward an OT, DT/DE, or Quinn the OLB.

The way this draft looks to stack up, Belichick will have a choice to add Robert Quinn, Marcel Dareus or Cameron Heyward to this defense. You want to take a WR?[/QUOTE]

I agree, Coach and his defensive mind would want as much great players to shuffle around in his scheme than a WR where we'd get away with a good one in FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back