PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ Green to Pats a lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB will look at a 6'6" 310 de who can play the run and get after the qb. Or, draft a scrawny kid like AJ Greene? Who will take a while to pick up the offense. I don't think we'll take a wr with either 1st rounder.

Such as . . . ?

And I do believe AJ Green is the best college receiver I've seen in a few years. He routinely makes exceptional catches, and is a virtual Moss clone, aside from lacking the blazing speed Randy had/has. Take a look at this catch on his first game back from his rather unfair suspension: YouTube - AJ Green one handed TD Catch vs. Colorado

If the Pats do draft a receiver I sincerely doubt it would be with the first pick. With Green, Baldwin, Floyd and Jones available, it seems to me the better way to go would be to wait until later in the first round to draft one of those players, and use the early pick on another position; maybe Marcell Dareus, for example. With all the picks the Pats have don't rule out the possibility of moving up to draft him, if they need to.

Julio Jones sucks. Can't catch the football consistently.

Any WR's available in FA next offseason (and dont say Moss!) ?

Doesn't necessarily have to be a free agent. Could be a trade. Moss has been traded 3x. Balt. got Boldin in a trade. Jets traded for S.Holmes and B.Edwards. Brandon Marshall traded to Miami. Roy Williams to Dallas. Most of em crazier than a loon. Ochocinco?? Just throwing him out there as an example. Does Larry Fitzgerald get disgusted in the desert? Who knows.

Such as . . . ?

And I do believe AJ Green is the best college receiver I've seen in a few years. He routinely makes exceptional catches, and is a virtual Moss clone, aside from lacking the blazing speed Randy had/has. Take a look at this catch on his first game back from his rather unfair suspension: YouTube - AJ Green one handed TD Catch vs. Colorado

Do we want to go in that direction again? I have a feeling BB wants to have a tougher and more physical team, and having a very slightly built receiver at that high a price doesn't seem to fit with that. I'd rather us a guy who is a football player first and a receiver second, a guy who can actually block and maybe even throw a hit on a defender.

If the Pats do draft a receiver I sincerely doubt it would be with the first pick. With Green, Baldwin, Floyd and Jones available, it seems to me the better way to go would be to wait until later in the first round to draft one of those players, and use the early pick on another position; maybe Marcell Dareus, for example. With all the picks the Pats have don't rule out the possibility of moving up to draft him, if they need to.

Those four WRs are all juniors no one will know if the will be available until January.

The bust potential is so high with WR's. Charles Rodgers,Mike Williams, Heyward Bay etc.
I'm holding to faith that Brandon Tate is a superstar.

AJ Green over Julio Jones. I believe I wrote a topic about this last year in which I wanted Pats to draft a guy like Benn, let Moss walk after this year, take Green in 2011 and go into 2011 with Green, Benn, Welker, Tate, Edelman.

I'd love to see this guy in a Pats uni.

Such as . . . ?

Moss-like? He jumped. :eek:

I thought Charles Rogers would be the next great thing and he was a complete bust.I do think that AJ Green might be different but i want them to get a DE with that pick or Patrick Peterson if he is there.

Green is a great great player - but I really would take Baldwin if truth be told. I think he's a better route runner, for a start.

Green is a great great player - but I really would take Baldwin if truth be told. I think he's a better route runner, for a start.

I question that. I think Baldwin is a bit slow getting in and out of his breaks. That's something you don't see with A.J. Green and Michael Floyd. Baldwin may be the fastest of the big the big four (Green, Floyd, Baldwin, Jones) though.

I question that. I think Baldwin is a bit slow getting in and out of his breaks. That's something you don't see with A.J. Green and Michael Floyd. Baldwin may be the fastest of the big the big four (Green, Floyd, Baldwin, Jones) though.

Hmmm. See, I actually think Baldwin is probably the slowest of the "four horsemen". But I think his size and his ability to find the soft spots would make him a heck of a match for us. Green and Jones are probably more sudden, and Floyd has the experience of playing in a pro-offense, but Baldwin has the most potential and facets to his game which we desire (his hands are breath-taking, and he's fearless over the middle) quite a lot.

I'll be honest, I'll be happy with any one of Green, Floyd or Baldwin, but I do have a definite favourite.

We gotta address our defensive front 7 with our first pick. We need help @ DE big time. I will be sorely disappointed if we go offense or DB with the Raiders pick.

IMO, as good as the big 4 receivers are (and don't get me wrong, I think all 4 of these guys would have been the clear cut #1 receiving prospect in last year's draft or most other drafts), it's not worth it to use a 1st rounder on one of them when they have major holes to fill with their front 7. There's even a very small chance 1 of them slips to the 2nd round, in which case it would be wise to trade up and try to snag whichever one does fall.

Receiver is one of the deepest positions this year, if they can grab someone such as Terrance Tolliver, Devier Posey*, DeAndre Brown*, Leonard Hankerson or Juron Criner* in the 2nd or 3rd round, they'll be fine at receiver.

* means they're a junior

First pick has to be DE or OLB as they are our biggest needs by far. I would not mind to have one of these four though... just imagine the possibilities

First pick has to be DE or OLB as they are our biggest needs by far. I would not mind to have one of these four though... just imagine the possibilities

If we have learned anything about BB's drafting philosophy, it is that he will not reach in the first round. (He will however reach like mad in the third round and take bust after bust after bust, until the comp picks start, then he starts drafting players again.)

If there is no DE that projects well as a 3-4 DE, then BB will pass.

I agree

The offense aint a problem to address - I think this dink and dunk offense will do us proud and the different set of RB's we have will suit us fine

We solidify the lines and address the pass rush the first 2 days unless someone falls to us

I would be stunned if BB took a WR in the first round. I don't think we get a WR at all in next years draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST