PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After Week 7: Devin McCourty or Dez Bryant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dez Bryant is a scary combination of power and speed.

He runs through corners like they're standing still.

If he keeps his head on (which is appearntly an issue, since so many teams said no thanks) he is going to own this league in a year or two. As I already said, Bryant is easily the best young WR to come in the NFL since Moss.

McCourty ended up being a great pick up, but I think we could of gotten both. he was scouted to be a late 2nd, maybe 3rd round pick. We could of traded up to get him if we had selected Bryant in the 1st. Price is good and cheaper, but we could of traded our 3rd, 90th, and a few late picks to get another 2nd to get mccourty and not give up Gron, Cunningham, and Spikes.

i realize hind sight is always 20/20 but looking at it now, I don't think it would of been hard to do to focus on those two players. but overall, BB surprised everyone, once again, and they selected 6 starters in this draft. AND we are 5-1. No one should be complaining!

The last scouting reports
had McCourty charging hard up the board to late-first/early-second round.

And considering after the McCourty pick, 5 DBs were picked in the next 11 picks, I'd say BB did the right thing by not waiting.

As for your trade-up scenario, you forgot one thing. We didn't own a third-round pick until we made the deal to give Bryant to the Cowboys. We didn't acquire another third until the next day late in the second-round. We'd have had to trade up one of our second-rounders to acquire both players.

Or maybe we dip into the draft next year. Even still, we'd have had to move up quite a bit. Making draft assumptions is always tricky and imprecise, but if you consider McCourty the last of the DBs to be taken during that run near the end of the first round, we'd still have to trade up to 38 at least. That would most likely cost us next year's 1st.

So it's highly doubtful we could have got both without losing Gronk, Cunningham, or Spikes, or a really high draft pick from next year.

Last edited:
Dez Bryant is a scary combination of power and speed.

He runs through corners like they're standing still.

If he keeps his head on (which is appearntly an issue, since so many teams said no thanks) he is going to own this league in a year or two. As I already said, Bryant is easily the best young WR to come in the NFL since Moss.

Anquan Boldin had 101 catches for 1,337 yards and 8 touchdowns in his 2003 rookie season. His is the only rookie season of recent memory that touches Randy Moss' ridiculous 1998 rookie campaign.

Dez Bryant has star potential but it seems almost sacrilegious to compare him as a young WR to Randy Moss, when we saw a lot more of what Moss could do (who, like Bryant, also began his season behind two veteran WR's on the depth chart) than what Bryant has shown. For now I'm not convinced he's a better young WR prospect since Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald when they were coming into the league. But we'll see in due time for sure.

Anquan Boldin had 101 catches for 1,337 yards and 8 touchdowns in his 2003 rookie season. His is the only rookie season of recent memory that touches Randy Moss' ridiculous 1998 rookie campaign.

Dez Bryant has star potential but it seems almost sacrilegious to compare him as a young WR to Randy Moss, when we saw a lot more of what Moss could do (who, like Bryant, also began his season behind two veteran WR's on the depth chart) than what Bryant has shown. For now I'm not convinced he's a better young WR prospect since Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald when they were coming into the league. But we'll see in due time for sure.

I realize that.

I'm talking about pure talent and potential. He has all the tools and has already displayed his talent a few times this year.

Unfortunately, he is on the 2nd worst team in the league where there are already 2 guys who want to be the #1 WR and has dealt with some injuries.

I still wish we picked him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft