PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After Week 7: Devin McCourty or Dez Bryant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd take McCourty every day of the week. Simply put, elite cornerbacks are more valuable than elite receivers.

McCourty, without question. But I'd also much rather have Hakeem Nicks than Darius Butler.

Last edited:
of course breer cant stop gushing about bryant. he forgets denver passed on him too and took another WR

If we didn't draft mcCourty and the Bodden and Butler situation occurred, we would have traded. I'll have been fine with either

McCourty was the most unpopular round-1 pick in ages, it's impressive how quickly he turned the legions around. :)

Bryant has certainly looked good too, but it's also worth considering how much of this year's personnel shuffling has been about locker-room intangibles. Coaches past and present gush about McCourty's intelligence, football knowledge, attitude, coachability and leadership. Bryant, not so much.

Bryant never really had any chance of being drafted by the Pats IMO, he just doesnt fit in a BB system.

elite players doesnt fit in BB system? Im very happy with Mc Courty we finally have a young and good CB after all this wilhite wheatley meriweather guys but comeon guys .

Dez is awesome. Its a Fitzgerald/Johnson/Owens kind of talent guy. I mean we probably havent the chance, and no regrets about that, but this guy is A FREAKING BEAST.

Dez is awesome. Its a Fitzgerald/Johnson/Owens kind of talent guy.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say, Dez won't ever be as great as any of those guys.

Would Brady be throwing to Dez? We have Tate and he seems pretty good when given a chance but he's not for whatever reason. Tate against the Dolphins looked pretty solid to me. Plus I've seen him beat one-on-one coverage but Brady does not throw to him.

maybe because he's not getting separation. I remember Brady threw to him a few times and the defender was right with him.

Am sorry, but this is the biggest bull nonsense i read on this board. Every player we don't get doesn't fit our system. I bet if we didn't get randy moss, you would be saying he doesn't fit our system because he doesn't go over the middle.
Please come up with a better arguement.

By BB system I meant, he wasnt a BB guy. He had attitude problems in college and that isnt the type of players that BB likes to targets. The Pats had not one, but 2 chances on Bryant and passed both times. Going into the draft the Pats needed another WR and passed on Bryant both times, so obviously BB wasnt interested

elite players doesnt fit in BB system? Im very happy with Mc Courty we finally have a young and good CB after all this wilhite wheatley meriweather guys but comeon guys .

Dez is awesome. Its a Fitzgerald/Johnson/Owens kind of talent guy. I mean we probably havent the chance, and no regrets about that, but this guy is A FREAKING BEAST.

Why isnt Randy Moss here anymore? Dez and Randy are the same player/personality. Bryant would not have done well here, and that is why the Pats passed on him twice. Bryant has the attitude that he is better than everyone else on the team, even being a rookie. He really isnt a Patriot guy.

"Havent the chance"? The Pats had 2 picks in the first round when he was on the board. They traded once and took McCourty the next, clearly shows BB was never interested in him.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, Dez won't ever be as great as any of those guys.

I would agree with you as well. He is talented for sure, but to say he will be like some of those guys is a bit overboard

Why isnt Randy Moss here anymore? Dez and Randy are the same player/personality. Bryant would not have done well here, and that is why the Pats passed on him twice. Bryant has the attitude that he is better than everyone else on the team, even being a rookie. He really isnt a Patriot guy.

I don't think that comparison is fair. Moss is intelligent, Bryant not so much. Moss really did not show much in the way of diva status with the Pats prior to this year, Bryant seemed to lead with that self-perception in his opening weeks. Bryant seems to have raw talent/ability and little more. I would still not say to date he has displayed the type of freakish talent Moss showed in his first year with the Vikings.

McCourty is what the Patriots needed more than anything else so even without considering the additional players we picked up by trading back it still has to be McCourty.

Still I'm sure this board would be saying that Bryant was the better pick if we had taken him. Bryant had questions coming into the draft which allowed him to drop as far as he did but he has shown that he was a steal at 24 in the first round. I didn't like the thought of us taking a player with question marks though and I was happy they didn't take Bryant. I think barring injury there is a great chance he goes on to become a great, great player, just too much natural talent there for it not to happen.

But I also think that McCourty will be one of the elite cornerbacks in the league and he is my favourite Patriot rookie.

McCourty has the potential to be a shutdown CB or at least a top CB in this league.

I agree. He's obviously a very gifted athlete and has been pretty solid all season long. But that pick he made against SD was tremendous. And to me it shows that he has the skills to be a dominant corner...maybe Revis-level in a few years. Maybe he won't get there, but he has that kind of potential.

I think Dez Bryant is going to be pretty awesome as well, but I love shutdown corners.

I also wonder, since many people are pointing out that with all the trades it's become Bryant vs. McCourty/Price/etc. But if we have Dez Bryant, we can trade Randy Moss in the offseason, when his stock would have been a lot higher. Maybe you end up getting a 1st round pick for Moss or at least a 2nd plus something else. So maybe the right call is:

McCourty/Price
or
Bryant/1st round pick

Does that change the equation at all? Who knows.

I also wonder, since many people are pointing out that with all the trades it's become Bryant vs. McCourty/Price/etc. But if we have Dez Bryant, we can trade Randy Moss in the offseason, when his stock would have been a lot higher. Maybe you end up getting a 1st round pick for Moss or at least a 2nd plus something else. So maybe the right call is:

McCourty/Price
or
Bryant/1st round pick

Well if we get a 1st by trading Price then we get McCourty and Bryant so yes it changes a lot.:D

I like to speak my mind, but I am also willing to admit when I was wrong.

I was one of those who PINED for Dez Bryant, big-time, and criticized the pick of McCourty.

But after seeing this kid play, he really is one solid CB. I think he will grow into our #1 shutdown guy very soon (if he is not there already), even with Leigh Bodden returning next season.

In terms of which player has meant more to his team, I agree that mcCourty has been MUCH more valuable to the Pats than Dez has been to the Cowboys. I still think Dez will be a top reciever in the NFL, but I am more than fine with McCourty for our team at this point.

Now, I would just love to see Darius Butler grow along these same lines.

What's up with him? Is he just majorly in BB's doghouse or what?

Last edited:
of course breer cant stop gushing about bryant. he forgets denver passed on him too and took another WR

Wasn't the same said about Crabtree? It seems like there is a 'best receiver prospect in a decade' every year or two. The same will be said about AJ Green this offseason and maybe Justin Blackmon in 2012...

McCourty/Price
or
Bryant/1st round pick

Not to be an ass, but that's a horrible way to look at it. You're going into "what if" and hypothetical land. What did happen was we traded back with Denver, picked up Hernandez, and then traded back with Dallas and selected McCourty / Price.

I don't think that comparison is fair. Moss is intelligent, Bryant not so much. Moss really did not show much in the way of diva status with the Pats prior to this year, Bryant seemed to lead with that self-perception in his opening weeks. Bryant seems to have raw talent/ability and little more. I would still not say to date he has displayed the type of freakish talent Moss showed in his first year with the Vikings.

Moss may be intelligent, but when he was a rookie and in his early years in the league he acted the same way as Bryant has been acting in his first season. While they may not be exactly identical, they are very similar. I am not saying that Dez Bryant is the next coming Randy Moss, I am saying that in their rookie seasons they have similar abilities/attitudes

I hate these threads b/c if you change one big pick and do not factor in the trading------- you will have a totally different draft entirely.

I was not a member at the time...... but I gave our draft a solid A.

you cannot speculate change b/c the whole board would have been different......

sigh.........:bricks:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes