PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After three rounds, are there any starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

furley

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
One. Gronkowski.

I'm excited about this choice since he was my choice at tight end for New England. The other was Graham who ironically goes to the Saints who have Brees who'd Gates when with San Diego.

Others who might contribute but not as starters, McCourty and Cunningham.

Players to keep an eye on who'd missed their rookie season include McKenzie and Tate (only played two games).

Cool. A guy in the other forum has started a "4 starters" thread. You two should have a cage match. :D

2 1/2

McCourty will likely be a nickel back, as many reps as many starters including Wilfork.

Gronk is a starter.

Spikes has the potential to start or at least get lots and lots of reps.

I don't see Cunningham being pro-ready at OLB.

Price will compete with Tate for reps as the #4 and #5 wide receivers.

Last edited:
McC will spot start like any other DB and spend his share of time cleaning the pool on sundays off like every other DB in the rotation.
Gronk will be a starter by midseason if he stays healthy
Spikes could seriously push Guyton out to a 3rd down/OLB rotation.
Cunningham should be a situational rusher, this guy makes plays! My binky!

The competition at inside linebacker is better than the competition likely at outside linebacker.

You've Guyton, McKenzie and Spikes competing to start along side Mayo. Conversely, Cunningham will be in the mix with Thomas, Banta-Cain, Woods and Crable. If I'm Cunningham, I like my chances to get playing time. Especially, if you consider Thomas is as good as gone at some point this year. But Belichick needs to draft another outside linebacker and/or sign a free agent at this position. Guyton and Banta-Cain should be backups. They're starters by default, there was a lack of better talent at these positions.

Gronk, if he's healthy. If for no other reason than because Crump is the only other legit TE on the roster. OTOH, having starting TE's that we can refer to as Gronk and Crump ain't all bad.

McCourty won't start, but should see some reps in nickel/dime sets.

Cunningham could see quite a few reps as TBC's opposite number if you-know-who doesn't get re-signed. And maybe even if he does. IOW, possibly a "default starter" in pass-rush sets.

If Adalious Attitude goes away, I don't really know anyone else who's absolutely certain to get way more reps at OLB than Spikes. I mean, who's left? Woods, Ninkovich, Bruce Davis, Crable? Maybe we pick up Sapp tomorrow?

If Holt, Edelman and Tate all look good in camp, I could see Price possibly going to the P/S unless he kicks booty from Day One. But I don't think BB is quite yet done for the weekend wrt acquiring WRs, so he may have some other competition for what might turn out to be the #5 WR spot.

So far, I have to grade this Pats class a C+ at best. Which is awful considering the depth it offered at the positions we've drafted to.

I'm not sure, like others have stated, that "starter" is the correct term to use. I think Gronk steps in day one for sure. The others strengthen our rotations making some of our current players more effective. For example, Spikes and Mackenzie can battle it out for SILB freeing Mayo to play his more natural position of WILB. It also allows Guyton to slide behind Mayo on the depth chart at WILB where I think he will be more effective. Cunningham could step in right away just because of position scarcity. Price, like Spikes, deepens our WR rotation taking pressure off of Tate, Edleman, Holt etc. Overall, seems real solid, not sexy at all but solid. Reminds me of some of the "blue collar" hauls we had in 02, 03, and 05.

I believe Belichick chose Gronkowski in part due to his size--he's a big target. New England was ineffective or inconsistent in red zone offense last season. Ideally, Gronkowski can help the team toward improving in this area. So I think he'll get catches and, hopefully, touchdowns. But I don't expect to see him gain a lot of yardage. Unless, Belichick calls his number more the more he [Gronkowski] and Brady develop a good rapport.

Actually, you've to utilize Gronkowski in the passing game from day one. With Welker out, Brady needs someone to rely on besides Faulk. And teams might not double-team Moss anymore. Gronkowski must be that next receiving threat to help both Brady and Moss. Otherwise, the team is left to rely on an unknown like Tate which has the potential to backfire if that be the case.

McCourty will be our starting KR from Day 1, and he'll be a nickel corner.

Gronk will start.

Cunningham will start or, at the least, be a rotational pass rusher.

Spikes will rotate with Guyton and McKenzie.

Price will rotate with Holt and Tate.

Either way, I like these picks a lot. I think we have a glut of talent this year.

This is a useless question. Rookies don't start on double digit winning teams. Or are you wanting the team to fall to way below .500, so all these youngsters can start?

It took three years before Mike Vrabel was anything more than a spot player. Most cornerbacks need a year of seasoning, and spot play, and that includes Ty Law. The TE has the best opportunity, but he will rotate with the vet transition teacher just signed. Spikes the new SILB, is always going to be a two-down player. Is that considered a starter, if you are very good on those two downs? He will platoon as a rookie, and also the rest of his career. The WR Price is a three year project like most WRs are. Meanwhile there is a future Hall of Famer in front of him, and possibly two of them.

Ultimately, all are capable of eventually being "starters" and that is what is sought.

The Team is younger, deeper, and more talented, especially on Defense, as Belichick continues to rebuild the Team from its earlier Superbowl clubs with the stars from them, now mostly in retirement.

I think Spikes starts inside, but is limited to first and second down with Guyton playing in passing situations.

I think Gronkowski starts at TE, but maybe not from day one. I could see Crumpler starting early in the year and against teams with sophisticated defenses where blocking assignments will be critical. I am confident Gronkowski will play a ton this year and start some games *assuming health*

I don't know what Cunningham's role will be in year one. He's got to transition to the OLB position and I don't believe he's covered kicks in the past. This could make him a game day inactive. I hope that he shows enough in camp to be active as a package player who's mainly in the game to rush the passer.

I think Price's playing time will depend on Brandon Tate's performance/health. Moss, Edelman, Holt and one of the above will be the primary wr's. We will likely keep 6, but the 5th active guy will be primarily a special teamer such as Aiken/Slater.

As a first round pick, I think it's fair to assume that McCourty should at least compete for the nickel CB job which is essentially a starting position in today's NFL. I think he'll start on special teams as a gunner on punts, vice on punt returns, and on kickoff coverage.

So New England selects another tight end, Aaron Hernandez, who'd back concerns.

I do not see any immediate starters.

McCourty should develop into a whale of a ST demon and nickel back as a rookie.

Gronk if healthy will be the second TE

Cunningham developing into an OLB with 4.9 speed? What was BB thinking?

Spikes at ILB with 5.0 speed? What was BB thinking?

Price has speed that is for sure. He appears to run good routes. If he can catch the ball,he good contribute as a rookie.

Hernandez is all passing game,nothing in the running game. Brady should like throwing to him. Not sure if Hernandez has the guts to challenge the deep seems however.

Besides Gronkowski, I expect Mesko to win the punting duty.

By mid season McCourty will be starting. By the end of the year he will be covering the opponent top WR.

Top CBs can step right in but BB runs a complicated defense.

Anyone else notice this, New England has drafted arguably the top rated tight end, Rob Gronkowski, and the top rated punter, Zoltan Mesko. Last year, I believe, Jake Ingram was the top rated long snapper. Next year, I suspect that Belichick will target the top rated running back. Conversely, I don't think he'll target the top rated wide receiver. It could be a deep draft for wide receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News