PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are our biggest offseason needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread like this though I expected to. Apologies if I missed it.

Let's assume that Hightower is retained somehow and that all other free agents become just that, free agents, so their absence (such as Ryan, Bennett, or and Develin) become part of this equation, even if the best solution is re-sign them.

In my opinion, this is where the Patriots might focus but curious to here everyone's take.

Offensive Line - I feel like we were pretty lucky that Solder and Cannon were healthy this entire season, and things might have turned out a lot different otherwise. Bringing in another proven tackle would be a good idea. Also, not sure about David Andrews at center. Seems like a really hard worker and a smart guy, but it's been stated many times he is undersized. (On a related note, the biggest reason we won the SB, after re-watching about 20 times, was Alex Mack's injury. Watch Trey Flowers just blow by him in the fourth quarter time after time to make critical plays. Mack was cooked...kudos to him for toughing it out, but they may have been better off with a backup at that point.)

Secondary - I am lumping safeties and corners together here. Another similar story as the o-line, that we were really lucky to have almost no injuries. Don't get me wrong - an injury to Butler or McCourty (maybe even Chung) would be devastating and you can't just fix that, but overall with we had 6 healthy defensive backs, none being liabilities. D-Mac, Butler, Ryan, Rowe, Harmon, Chung. If Cyrus Jones doesn't develop and Ryan leaves, that leaves us exposed in nickel and dime packages. You can never have enough depth in the secondary.

Tight End - There just aren't a lot of true two-way tight ends, and the bottom line is I truly believe we don't win the SB, and maybe not even make it, without Bennett. Obviously Gronkowski is a risky proposition. This is one position where I think we need to realize there aren't a lot of guys who can do the job, either Bennett or a high draft pick, although in some drafts there literally zero two-way tight ends available. With two good TEs that can block and catch, this offense is unstoppable. With one, it's still a championship offense. With none, we will really struggle and might not be a top-10 offense.

Running Back/ Fullback - Thinking Blount and Develin here. There are usually lots of players for the cheap on the FA market. Wonder if Bill thinks Blount has enough left at age 30. Would love to see Blount end up as a coach in New England...perfect Patriot and love this guy, it I could aeee them targeting someone younger. If they don't re-sign Develin, maybe draft a fullback in the mid to late rounds?

Edge Rusher - Just wanted to put this on here not because I feel it is a big need but I suspect others will. Losing Collins and Jones and seeing two guys on the downside of their careers (Ninkovich and Long) makes me wonder if this will be a big draft priority. On the interior, I hope we re-sign Branch, and with Brown and (hybrid) Flowers we are in good shape there.

Re-signing Hightower, Alan Branch, and Logan Ryan.

Keep our defense in tact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST