PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After 5 weeks: what's our impression of the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what will Sanchez be our downfall?

Does it kill you that much to admit that the Jets might actually have a franchise QB in the making who could supplant Brady as AFC East's elite?

What are you on?

Sanchez hasn't even surpassed Henne never mind Brady. Sanchez will never be the better Quarterback. Rex Ryan would tell you the same.

They are a lot better than I expected.

Sanchez is better than I expected. He has far more confidence than he showed in the preseason. Although he still makes a lot of stupid decisions they haven't cost them.

LT definitely is a lot better than anyone expected. He isn't what he was in his hey day, but pretty good none the less. Wonder if he can keep it up all season, but right now he is one of the best free agent pick ups this offseason.

Jason Taylor is as good as I expected, not spectacular but solid. He is still better suited for a back up role, but hasn't been a liability and has made some good plays

Cromartie is what I expected - boom or bust. If he could go up against Moss or Lee Evans (who probably was shut down by Ryan Fitzpatrick as much as Cromartie) every week, he will be a Pro Bowler. Unfortunately for him, he still can get beaten like a rented mule by other WRs like Brandon Marshall (his only good game this year came against Cromartie and he would probably have had more catches if he didn't burnout in the Miami heat at the end of the game), Anquan Boldin, and Derrick Mason.

Before Monday night, I was going to say Braylon Edwards has finally started to show that he can actually catch the ball, but Monday might have changed my mind.

Dustin Keller is finally starting to live up to his promise. Before this year he has been far more hype than production. This year so far, he has almost been as go to as Antonio Gates and Dallas Clark.

I would still be worried about Rex's in game coaching. His handling of clock management in the game Monday night was probably on Herm Edwards level. Throwing on second down while protecting a lead with the opposing team out of time outs with about 2:30 left in the game?

Their o-line is still solid against the run, but still up and down against the pass. D'Brickishaw Ferguson is hard to figure out because he has played poorly against some bad competition at times and then totally owned Jared Allen Monday night. Damien Woody has struggled at time too.

Kyle Wilson has been a disapointment. I think Slauson has played better than expected, but still has issues. Shonn Greene hasn't been as good as the Jets wanted, but luckily for the Jets they don't need him to be with LT. The Jets haven't missed Kris Jenkins again this year thus far.

Overall, the Jets need to be considered an elite team over 5 weeks. That said it is early.

No, you've been pretty much wrong across the board with all of your prognostications of the Jets.

- Cromartie, as I suggested earlier in the year, would play closer to his Pro Bowl form, and play at a level many expected when drafted. I told you the Charger system veered away from the style of play Cromartie excels in, that he would flourish under Rex. The job he did against Moss on Monday night was almost a clinic in how a cover CB should play the position, Cromartie has been everything and more, and when factoring in Revis' injury, he has been a legit #1 shutdown CB. Save the spin on Marshall, Marshall caught nothing down field, Miami's offense isn't a vertical system, lots of crossing routes into zone coverage, and as I said, by the end of the game, with Miami playing catch up, they put up numbers, but they were pseudo numbers, Jets D was gassed in that 4th quarter. I expect Revis to get healthy and the secondary and D to be much improved after the bye week.

- Braylon Edwards, his only hiccup was his DWI, shame on him. Otherwise, he has been outstanding. I have no idea what you are pulling out of your rear about him.

- LT has been outstanding, showing a form not seen in several years. JT has been equally as outstanding, having to play more snaps with Pace out the first couple of weeks, playing better than expected against the running game, and having an impact, especially in key moments as a pass rusher. Not sure what more a team can ask of a player in his role.

I would still be worried about Rex's in game coaching. His handling of clock management in the game Monday night was probably on Herm Edwards level. Throwing on second down while protecting a lead with the opposing team out of time outs with about 2:30 left in the game?

Sanchez should have let the playclock elapse another 4 more seconds, nothing wrong with the playcall, it was the execution. It was an aggressive call, where Minnesota expected them to run the ball, that aggression is why the Jets are 4-1, you are nitpicking, there have been no issues with game and clock management under Ryan, if anything, Sanchez has had his moments as a young QB going through growing pains.

- Shonn Greene has surged the last two weeks, he is in the top 15 in the league in rushing, again, what are you looking at?

- Kyle Wilson has had his moments, I wouldn't say a rookie has been a disappointment when he's been thrust into the starting line-up.

Overall, the Jets have been more than impressive with a tough schedule to open the season. They can attack in so many ways on offense, they are as dynamic as a team can be, with weapons in the passing game, depth, an elite rushing attack, with a very good option player in Brad Smith running the wildcat formation. The defense has been slow to start, but still in the upper echelon of the league, that will only get better as players get healthy.

Last edited:
What are you on?

Sanchez hasn't even surpassed Henne never mind Brady. Sanchez will never be the better Quarterback. Rex Ryan would tell you the same.

Henne? You can't be serious, the guy is about to be benched for Pennington.

And I did not say Sanchez HAS surpassed anybody, I said has the potential to...

Last edited:
Henne? You can't be serious, the guy is about to be benched for Pennington.

And I did not say Sanchez HAS surpassed anybody, I said has the potential to...

Then Flacco or Rogers and every other second tier QB. What potential do you see? Is it the 0 interceptions he has thrown? There should of been about three or four of them against the Vikings alone. Sanchez didn't lead his team to the playoffs throwing twenty picks last season regardless of how well he played there. Currently he is doing well but we all seen his ineptitude show up in that Viking-Jet game. It was a horrible second half followed by some pathetic clock management. An elite QB doesn't do those things.

Jets HC or not, Rex Ryan is pure entertainment.

His act wore thin after about 12 minutes. He's a one-trick hippo. Too much of a cheerleader on the sidelines and really not an all-around head coach with a firm grasp of offense/special teams.

It is still too early.

Their offense has play 4 questionable defenses.
( yes this years Vike's D is not so good even though stats say differently)

The one good D they played, Ravens with problems, they lost.

Their defense is good but not great. NE laid an egg in week two but
next time they won't have the luxury of knowing the ball is going to Moss.
Let's see how they do with PATs offense next time when it is less predictable.

Their offense is the surprise but I think they have beat up D's that are
early in their gelling process. Too early to say. I still think sanchise will
melt under pressure and LT won't sustain what he's been doing for 16 games.
By week 8 or 10 the D's around the league will start to be their best.
Let's see how their offense does then against teams like
Steelers, Chicago, PATs and Fins.

Then there is the JETs traditional December fade away. Last year
Colts save them by not playing but they are the same old jets in
December. Let's see if this version of JETs can get that monkey off
their back.

Time will tell. BTW, this is not first time JETs have been good in the
first part of the season.
My guess is they will lose 4 or 5 more games this year and 3 of
those games will be in December.

Then Flacco or Rogers and every other second tier QB. What potential do you see? Is it the 0 interceptions he has thrown? There should of been about three or four of them against the Vikings alone. Sanchez didn't lead his team to the playoffs throwing twenty picks last season regardless of how well he played there. Currently he is doing well but we all seen his ineptitude show up in that Viking-Jet game. It was a horrible second half followed by some pathetic clock management. An elite QB doesn't do those things.

He was a rookie last year, he excelled at the end of the year and in the playoffs, that is the sign of a QB with a lot of potential.

You have to live under a rock, or just refuse to observe the obvious, the kid has a lot of talent, but as a Patriot fan, I guess I should expect a biased response.

With the exception of snapping the ball before allowing the playclock wind down to ensure that 2nd down play ran beyond the 2 minute warning, how else was he inept? Did he not lead a team on a TD drive late in the 4th quarter after Minnesota put up 3 scores to steal back the momentum.

It's obvious you're hating on the guy and are biased.

It is still too early.

Their offense has play 4 questionable defenses.
( yes this years Vike's D is not so good even though stats say differently)

The one good D they played, Ravens with problems, they lost.

Their defense is good but not great. NE laid an egg in week two but
next time they won't have the luxury of knowing the ball is going to Moss.
Let's see how they do with PATs offense next time when it is less predictable.

Their offense is the surprise but I think they have beat up D's that are
early in their gelling process. Too early to say. I still think sanchise will
melt under pressure and LT won't sustain what he's been doing for 16 games.
By week 8 or 10 the D's around the league will start to be their best.
Let's see how their offense does then against teams like
Steelers, Chicago, PATs and Fins.

Then there is the JETs traditional December fade away. Last year
Colts save them by not playing but they are the same old jets in
December. Let's see if this version of JETs can get that monkey off
their back.

Time will tell. BTW, this is not first time JETs have been good in the
first part of the season.
My guess is they will lose 4 or 5 more games this year and 3 of
those games will be in December.

Sounds more like you are hoping for it rather than really believing it.

Just a lot of spin on your part

Jets didn't play a real defense, yet Pats have one of the better defensive minds in the game leading their team. Miami is much improved, and your poo-pooing of Minnesota is lame, they have a championship calliber front 7, and a solid overall defense, Minnesota couldn't stop our running game, which they excel at, and couldn't get to our QB, which they are also very good at.

And I love how the Pats are now better without Moss. :rolleyes:

He was a rookie last year, he excelled at the end of the year and in the playoffs, that is the sign of a QB with a lot of potential.

You have to live under a rock, or just refuse to observe the obvious, the kid has a lot of talent, but as a Patriot fan, I guess I should expect a biased response.

With the exception of snapping the ball before allowing the playclock wind down to ensure that 2nd down play ran beyond the 2 minute warning, how else was he inept? Did he not lead a team on a TD drive late in the 4th quarter after Minnesota put up 3 scores to steal back the momentum.

He's playing some pretty solid football this year. But I wouldn't jump the gun just yet with the "elite" talk if I were you. The kid still has A LOT of work to do before he's mentioned in the same breath as the word "elite".

He's playing some pretty solid football this year. But I wouldn't jump the gun just yet with the "elite" talk if I were you. The kid still has A LOT of work to do before he's mentioned in the same breath as the word "elite".

Again, never said he IS elite, I said he is showing the signs of having the potential to be.

He's young, and I agree, has a lot of development ahead of him. I also don't doubt he'll continue to have growing pains, he's only 23 years old.

But you can't deny his work ethic, his maturity, the fact that he is already a leader on the team, and that the players believe the sky is the limit for him.

Last edited:

Jets didn't play a real defense, yet Pats have one of the better defensive minds in the game leading their team. Miami is much improved, and your poo-pooing of Minnesota is lame, they have a championship calliber front 7, and a solid overall defense, Minnesota couldn't stop our running game, which they excel at, and couldn't get to our QB, which they are also very good at.

Good posting.

Starting on the OP 17 yard line and having a three and out is inept. Not realizing basic clock management that could of cost them the game is inept. Having all those weapons on offense from Santonio Holmes to Braylon Edwards and not scoring one touchdown is inept. Sanchez is not better than any of those QBs so comparing him to Brady can't be any more insane.

Starting on the OP 17 yard line and having a three and out is inept. Not realizing basic clock management that could of cost them the game is inept. Having all those weapons on offense from Santonio Holmes to Braylon Edwards and not scoring one touchdown is inept. Sanchez is not better than any of those QBs so comparing him to Brady can't be any more insane.

You're nitpicking

So the Pats and Brady have never struggled, eh? Brady has never made mistakes?

And it didn't cost them the game, because they are that good defensively to overcome mistakes when they happen, yet another mark of a good team.

The Jets are not only the team to beat in the AFCE, but quite possibly the whole NFL. Am I happy about this? F*ck no. Do I think things can change? Of course.

You're nitpicking

So the Pats and Brady have never struggled, eh? Brady has never made mistakes?

And it didn't cost them the game, because they are that good defensively to overcome mistakes when they happen, yet another mark of a good team.

Brady has struggled alot since his knee injury but post season greatness can make up for that.

Farve can actually cause them mistakes without a defense even playing against him. These are also facts not nitpickings. The jury is still out on Sanchez. Lets see if he can repeat those playoff performances.

Sounds like your hoping that December fade away isn't going to
haunt you once again. If you've been a Jets fan for a number of
years you know what I am talking about.

PATs D was not not good in week 2 and is just starting to come together.
If you've followed PATs at all you know Bill's Ds really start getting it
together in November.

Can you really deny that knowing Brady was going to target Moss
a lot of time did give Rex an advantage in game planning? We'll
see how Jets D does when Brady becomes less predicable like he
was when PAts won 3 superbowls.

Also if you've followed Moss over the last year or two you would know
that the one trick pony's trick just wasn't as good as it use to be.
In the days of old there is no way Cromartie or fins' Davis could have
stayed with Moss they way they did.

Bottom line Jets will have to prove they can make their run
last for 16 weeks.

Sounds like your hoping that December fade away isn't going to
haunt you once again. If you've been a Jets fan for a number of
years you know what I am talking about.

PATs D was not not good in week 2 and is just starting to come together.
If you've followed PATs at all you know Bill's Ds really start getting it
together in November.

Can you really deny that knowing Brady was going to target Moss
a lot of time did give Rex an advantage in game planning? We'll
see how Jets D does when Brady becomes less predicable like he
was when PAts won 3 superbowls.

Also if you've followed Moss over the last year or two you would know
that the one trick pony's trick just wasn't as good as it use to be.
In the days of old there is no way Cromartie or fins' Davis could have
stayed with Moss they way they did.

Bottom line Jets will have to prove they can make their run
last for 16 weeks.
Anything else left to spin there? Once again with the ridiculous claims that the Patriots are in any way better off without Moss.

Last edited:
Anything else left to spin there? Once again with the ridiculous claims that the Patriots are in any way better off without Moss.

We'll see ..... make me a believer.
Only if Jets didn't have to play in December :rocker:
... i bet you'll have nightmares as December approaches :eek: ..... :D

I am fairly unimpressed with the Jets, their defense hasn't played up to expectations and their offense relies too much on LT catching passes near the LOS.

The Vikings gave the Jets that game, poor play by Favre for 85% of the game, the stupid int for a TD at the end...and how do you only give Peterson the ball 18 times? He was eating that defense up.

I would love to hear what your impression was with the Jets before the season. Even Jets fans weren't expecting more then what they have today.

I think we all knew this team had what it took to be good if they just had the QB play. Last season they had the leagues best D and best run game. They just needed a Dilfer like QB not to give the ball up.

Now that Sanchez is playing closer to his draft pick value I truly think the D is taking a break. Teams are being forced to take risks to score points and it's working. this is making the D look worse then they were last year when you could beat the Jets if you played it safe and just scored more then 20 points.

Last edited:
No, you've been pretty much wrong across the board with all of your prognostications of the Jets.

I admitted I was wrong several times in the post you replied to, but you are so obsessed with me that you just twisted everything.

- Cromartie, as I suggested earlier in the year, would play closer to his Pro Bowl form, and play at a level many expected when drafted. I told you the Charger system veered away from the style of play Cromartie excels in, that he would flourish under Rex. The job he did against Moss on Monday night was almost a clinic in how a cover CB should play the position, Cromartie has been everything and more, and when factoring in Revis' injury, he has been a legit #1 shutdown CB. Save the spin on Marshall, Marshall caught nothing down field, Miami's offense isn't a vertical system, lots of crossing routes into zone coverage, and as I said, by the end of the game, with Miami playing catch up, they put up numbers, but they were pseudo numbers, Jets D was gassed in that 4th quarter. I expect Revis to get healthy and the secondary and D to be much improved after the bye week.

Cromartie did hold Brandon Marshall to only 166 yards and one TD. Pretty pedestrian. Cromartie almost gave up the game tying TD (assuming the Dolphins would have converted a 2 point conversion after scoring) allowing Marshall make a ten yard pick up turn into a 30 yard play and he was lucky that (I think it was) Jim Leonard to catch him from behind. Pro Bowl performance by any standard.

So are you basically admitting that Cromartie's game is limited and that he can only cover vertical outside threats and gets crushed by route runners? If you are, I might agree with you since the evidence is there. He got crushed by anyone other than Moss and Lee Evans (who got free a few times but Fitzpatrick threw ducks to his way). Not every #1 WR is an outside deep runner like Moss. Most #1 guys in this league run over the middle and short crossing routes in their game. Moss used to too, but not this year especially with his limited playbook knowledge with the Vikes.

- Braylon Edwards, his only hiccup was his DWI, shame on him. Otherwise, he has been outstanding. I have no idea what you are pulling out of your rear about him.

Again, I said until last game I thought he cured his dropping problem until he dropped several balls Monday night. So are you denying the balls that hit him in the hands and dropped to the ground on Monday night were not drops?

- LT has been outstanding, showing a form not seen in several years. JT has been equally as outstanding, having to play more snaps with Pace out the first couple of weeks, playing better than expected against the running game, and having an impact, especially in key moments as a pass rusher. Not sure what more a team can ask of a player in his role.

I said the guy far exceeded expectations. He isn't LT of his prime where he could run for 1500 yards and 15 TDs or so a season, but he is much better than anyone expected. Where did I say anything wrong there. Stop nitpicking.

I complimented Jason Taylor too. He is still better suited for a situational role, but has been solid but not spectacular (minus a few plays) in replacement of Pace. He had some outstand plays, he didn't breakdown much at all. Again, Stop nitpicking.

Sanchez should have let the playclock elapse another 4 more seconds, nothing wrong with the playcall, it was the execution. It was an aggressive call, where Minnesota expected them to run the ball, that aggression is why the Jets are 4-1, you are nitpicking, there have been no issues with game and clock management under Ryan, if anything, Sanchez has had his moments as a young QB going through growing pains.

You are up by just over a TD inside of three minutes with the other team out of time outs. Of course you throw on second downwho wouldn't. You could run the clock down to the two minute (with another warning with a run, but where is the fun with that. Both Jaws and Cruden blasted Ryan for it which is hard for them in their ballwashing fest that they put on every Monday night.

- Shonn Greene has surged the last two weeks, he is in the top 15 in the league in rushing, again, what are you looking at?

He has had a couple of good games one against a horrible run defense where the BJGE did even better against them in tearms of YPC and TDs a week earlier.

- Kyle Wilson has had his moments, I wouldn't say a rookie has been a disappointment when he's been thrust into the starting line-up.

He lost his starting job to Drew Coleman and even Rex Ryan said he was struggling. He came in with high expectations and haven't lived up to them. Not saying he is a bust or won't turn it around, but he has been a disapointment and a key target of opposing QBs. If you can't admit this, we know who is the biased one.

Overall, the Jets have been more than impressive with a tough schedule to open the season. They can attack in so many ways on offense, they are as dynamic as a team can be, with weapons in the passing game, depth, an elite rushing attack, with a very good option player in Brad Smith running the wildcat formation. The defense has been slow to start, but still in the upper echelon of the league, that will only get better as players get healthy.

I called the Jets an elite team through 5 weeks. What else do you want?

The problem is not my opinion of the Jets, it is your hair up your arse for me. Overall, I gave the Jets compliments. You twisted into bashing. You are just a fraud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick