PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC playoff bye for PATs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're 2-1 at Miami since 09. I don't mean to take away from your point, because I actually think we'll lose @MIA, but just correcting your fact.

Thanks. I appreciate being corrected on facts, when I have them wrong as I did in this case.

And, BTW, I don't know whether I'm more impressed by the accuracy of your predictions to date or your guts to put them in your sig where everyone can see if you are right or wrong! You have my R-E-S-P-E-C-T dude! The 14--2 and 15--1 preseason prognosticators are all in hiding. BTW...I hope you bet that set in Vegas at the beginning of the season. You could be in for a very big payday.

Last edited:
I feel that way this season, too.
In some past seasons I've obsessed with seed and bye scenarios, which rarely turned out as I expected. Rather than torture myself, I'm in the mode of watching each week's game enjoying it for itself and savoring the priceless personal lifetime unique productive years of our HOF QB and HC.

That's the only way to think about it, and from this point forward. Parity is here, the Pats are a great team but also vulnerable, every game is a dogfight, as it should be. We've been too spoiled with back-to-back 13+ win seasons. Perhaps some players have been, too. This season is very tempering for Pats fans, and I think it's a good thing. There's no team in the league right now whose fans are assuming Super Bowl, and we aren't any different.

But we're also a great team with playmakers and winning experience. So I'm basically optimistic but not arrogant anymore.

That's the only way to think about it, and from this point forward. Parity is here, the Pats are a great team but also vulnerable, every game is a dogfight, as it should be. We've been too spoiled with back-to-back 13+ win seasons. Perhaps some players have been, too. This season is very tempering for Pats fans, and I think it's a good thing. There's no team in the league right now whose fans are assuming Super Bowl, and we aren't any different.

But we're also a great team with playmakers and winning experience. So I'm basically optimistic but not arrogant anymore.

More wisdom! The thread is suddenly teeming with wisdom! The Giants have made still expecting to win the SB while going 10--6 or 9--7 the "new normal." Sure, I'd rather try to win it from a bye and 15--1, but I'll take the Lombardi anyway our guys can get it!

This just feels like a gritty, 10--6 or 11--5 season, not a gaudy 13--3 or 12--4. To quote someone well known in these precincts, "It is what it is." Now let's make the most of it.

Last edited:
Huh? And which, do tell, is the one game that we lose? One of the four remaining Division games, including @MIA, where we have had a tough time over the years, despite doing well there recently? Houston or the Forty Niners, a combined 13--3? Of course, we could never lose to the 5--3 Colts...I mean that would be like losing to the now 4--4 Cardinals or something like that...

[edited to correct an error]

Relax, buddy.

Just my opinion, based on the Pats stellar success rate in the second half of the season over the past ten years. You think it's a "gritty 10-6 like" season. That's fine. I would be very surprised with a 5-3 second half.

Relax, buddy.

Just my opinion, based on the Pats stellar success rate in the second half of the season over the past ten years. You think it's a "gritty 10-6 like" season. That's fine. I would be very surprised with a 5-3 second half.

From your lips to God's ears!

That's a leap! Read my post. I only implied that losing just one of the remaining games was improbable, not that any particular game was "unwinnable." I think I'll stand by that, even though it means that my Pre-Season Prediction of a 12--4 season would be toast.

I'm not smart enough to predict every game, but I look at the remaining schedule and say, "Hey, 6--2 would be damn good and I'd be resigned to but not ecstatic about 5--3, the Division and a number three seed. Just trying to stay in touch with what might reasonably be construed as realistic. I thought 12--4 was realistic back in August, despite the proliferation of 15--1 and 14--2 predictions; I was wrong, but not as far off as others.

And, BTW, just because I don't think they will win every game doesn't mean I'm not hoping they do. That's an important distinction that sometimes gets lost in homeric feeding frenzies out here.

I think 6-2 is the worst case and would require losing back to back home games.

Thanks. I appreciate being corrected on facts, when I have them wrong as I did in this case.

And, BTW, I don't know whether I'm more impressed by the accuracy of your predictions to date or your guts to put them in your sig where everyone can see if you are right or wrong! You have my R-E-S-P-E-C-T dude! The 14--2 and 15--1 preseason prognosticators are all in hiding. BTW...I hope you bet that set in Vegas at the beginning of the season. You could be in for a very big payday.

Hahaha I'd love to take credit but I update everything as it happens. I thought we would beat Arizona and lose to Tennessee, but besides that, my preseason prediction was accurate.

Relax, buddy.

Agreed, the team will win 12-13 games. Not sure what happens after that.

5-3 isn't super unlikely. 49ers, Texans, @Jets and @Dolphins.

Wasn't 2007 the only time NE has ever swept the AFCE?

So I figure NE will lose one AFCE game (probably @MIA) and will lose at least one of SF or HOU. So a 5-3 or 6-2 second half for a 10-6 or 11-5 record. I think 11-5 is the best NE will do. Certainly I won't be surprised if they do better -- I just don't think it is likely.

Here's how I see it breaking down (I put the Colts in there for fun because of the potential Luck/Manning matchup, although they have as good a shot as any team right now for the last WC):

1. Texans, 12-4 (throwing the last game)
2. Patriots, 11-5
3. Broncos, 11-5
4. Steelers, 10-6
5. Ravens, 10-6
6. Colts, 9-7

I believe that's a good scenario for us. Denver's defense has been a dream matchup for us and Manning has to face the Foxboro winter.

Steelers and Texans are matchups that worry me a bit more, Baltimore possibly as well if they survive these injuries. So having those 3 battle it out before having to face any of them would be a good break for us IMO.

As for who I'd want from the NFC if we make it that far, it's alot harder to tell since they have so many tough teams and we've really only faced NYG. Despite our troubles with them I'd love another shot at them with a healthy Gronkowski and a legit running game which could attack one of their weaknesses like the Steelers did with their 3rd or 4th string RB's. I think any of those teams would give us trouble guess we'll find out more against SF later this year.

Last edited:
Texans are a tough team, for sure, but I don't see a huge matchup problem with them. Our run D is tops and johnson isn't himself anymore. Gonna be a hell of a good game, though. Pats should be able to manage them.

Pittsburg...eh. Just because they beat a Giants team whose home area had just been demolished by Sandy and have had some trouble already. Still doesn't make them a top-notch team, IMO. Their receivers are really good, but not enough. Wasn't afraid of them before the Giants win, and still not.

Not ready to be concerned about the Fish. QB is not that great. D is decent. Running game is no match for the Pats' front 7.

Ravens are banged up and still dangerous, but fall to the second tier this year, IMO.

The game that really worries me is the Niners. Even at home, they are a matchup nightmare for the Pats, IMO. I doubt the cold, snow or travel will bother them that much. They seemed built for the playoffs and can deal with winter. Biggest challenge left of the year.

Wasn't 2007 the only time NE has ever swept the AFCE?

So I figure NE will lose one AFCE game (probably @MIA) and will lose at least one of SF or HOU. So a 5-3 or 6-2 second half for a 10-6 or 11-5 record. I think 11-5 is the best NE will do. Certainly I won't be surprised if they do better -- I just don't think it is likely.

After I looked at the schedule, i concluded that I really have no idea how any one game is going to turn out, given the nature of the NFL, but you've come to pretty much the same conclusion as me. Hoping for 6--2, ready for 5--3.

I'm very optimistic that they can get things together to be playing really well at the right time.

You are all living in fantasy land! We aren't even going to be in the playoffs. It's
all down hill from here. This team has lost it;s moral compass with the acquisition of Talib and we are doomed per Bedard.

In other news: Romney will make a great Prez in 2016......:eek:

I just realized one thing. If we and Pittsburgh were to win our divisions and finish tied we would hold the tiebreaker over them due to better conference record. Hopefully they sweep the Ravens, we will still need them to lose one or two more though at least.

AFC seeds will be desided this weekend. Texans beat Bears = 1 seed else second. Denver will be 3 seed they lost to Texans and Patriots, it's a up hill battle. Might end up with 3 teams at 13-3...

Ravens and Steelers fights for home field in wildcard round and Colts/Miami and mayby Chargers for last wildcard.

It could be: Broncos (3) vs Colts (6) and Steelers (4) vs Ravens (5)
Then: Patriots (1) vs Steelers (4) and Texans (2) vs Broncos (3)
ACF Champ: Patriots (1) vs Broncos (3)

Last edited:
AFC seeds will be desided this weekend. Texans beat Bears = 1 seed else second. Denver will be 3 seed they lost to Texans and Patriots, it's a up hill battle. Might end up with 3 teams at 13-3...

Ravens and Steelers fights for home field in wildcard round and Colts/Miami and mayby Chargers for last wildcard.

Great imagination nostradamus :rolleyes: unlike our conference rivals Denver and Pittsburgh who have cup cake Schedules from here on out. Don't want to hear about the Ravens either with their injuries on Defense they are just about Done! As we stand we would probably have to win out to get the # 2 seed...not impossible but as quite a task indeed. I hope we don't have anymore brian fart games from here on out.

the texans bears game has no effect on the afc seeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News