PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC playoff bye for PATs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me either but that Detroit game looks a bit tougher now, plus keep in mind that's the Thanksgiving game.

Also Indy could potentially pull one off *praying*

That'd be sweet if the Colts could steal one. Lions are a very strange team though.

It sucks that if the Pats want a BYE, let alone the #1 seed, they have to win out. :( I don't see the Satan Mannings losing another game either...

Last edited:
It sucks that if the Pats want a BYE, let alone the #1 seed, they have to win out. :( I don't see the Satan Mannings losing another game either...

Way too much despair with so much season left--these teams will more than likely stub their toes at least once the rest of the way.

Wouldn't even be surprised if the Texans finish 14-2 with a loss vs. us.

JAX
@DET
@TEN
@NE
IND
MIN
@IND

After watching the Texans gut out the W last night in the rain and slop in Chicago ("Bears weather"), I 'm not counting that particular chicken before it's hatched, even if the Bears were without their starting QB for the second half. That was one tough team and some of the hits they delivered were monstrous...their toughness reminded me of the Brewski-Rodney days in New England.

To paraphrase, I think BB will open Schaub up like a soft nut.

At least Mayo has already played easily the worst game of his career, and he did it yesterday.

Last edited:
Texans fan here, I am not sure why everyone is so down on Schaub, especially using last night as a reason. The conditions were so terrible that the best passing team in the league would have struggled mightily. Swirling winds and a sloppy turf make for very difficult passing. The balls were sailing from both QB's
and receivers slipping left and right and dropping balls.

Just some numbers on Schaub. He led the league in passing in 2009 with 4770 yds when they had no running game, in 2010 with the leading rusher he put up 4370 yds. He can pass the ball if he has to and seems to get a rhythm when he is forced to throw a lot eventhough he hasn't had to in the past two years.
Passer ratings in the last four years 09-12 98.6, 92, 96.8, 91.7.
TD-INT 09-12. 29-15, 24-12, 15-6, 13-6
Yards per attempt 09-12 8.2, 7.6, 8.5, 7.3.

He is 12-1 in the last 13, 15-4 over the last 19 as the starter.

I don't know about you but those are very good numbers. He is not strictly a game manager. They don't have to run the ball well necessarily to be productive with the play action. In 2009 they couldn't run a lick, but the play action still worked extremely well because of the zone system. In the zone system everyone has to move playside to prevent cut back lanes, this is why he is usually all alone after the fake with a choice of receivers.

Bottom line is Schaub isn't elite but definitely a cut above the rest. The Texans are scoring 28 a game. Thinking its a given that BB can shut him down especially with the issues in the secondary is wishful thinking. Thinking is somehow a weak link is far off, if they struggle it will be because of the o-line not protecting not him playing bad.

Texans fan here, I am not sure why everyone is so down on Schaub, especially using last night as a reason. The conditions were so terrible that the best passing team in the league would have struggled mightily. Swirling winds and a sloppy turf make for very difficult passing. The balls were sailing from both QB's

Just some numbers on Schaub. He led the league in passing in 2009 with 4770 yds when they had no running game, in 2010 with the leading rusher he put up 4370 yds. He can pass the ball if he has to and seems to get a rhythm when he is forced to throw a lot eventhough he hasn't had to in the past two years.

I don't know about you but those are very good numbers. He is not strictly a game manager. They don't have to run the ball well necessarily to be productive with the play action. In 2009 they couldn't run a lick, but the play action still worked extremely well because of the zone system. In the zone system everyone has to move playside to prevent cut back lanes, this is why he is usually all alone after the fake with a choice of receivers.

Bottom line is Schaub isn't elite but definitely a cut above the rest. The Texans are scoring 28 a game. Thinking its a given that BB can shut him down especially with the issues in the secondary is wishful thinking. Thinking is somehow a weak link is far off, if they struggle it will be because of the o-line not protecting not him playing bad.

I definitely consider Schaub to be an above-average QB; perhaps not quite in the Rodgers-Brees-Manning tier, but to me he's certainly in the next group, somewhere in the top ten. Some of the prior comments may be homer/wishful thinking/positive thinking, whatever you want to term it; some may be from not really facing him or even seeing him on tv all that often, a 'prove it to me in the playoffs' mentality.

Thanks for the perspective, looking forward to playing later this season; it should be a very good game for all NFL fans.

Thanks for a thoughtful and informative post. I hope you either stick around or come back when our teams are going head to head.

The Texans look like the real deal, and gutting out a win against Chicago was a huge step in removing any doubts about them in my mind. I'm still going to hang on to one or two though until the end of the season. I'm intrigued to see how they handle the final four games against two surprise teams that they've struggled against in the past and the Pats. A strong finish there will definitely put them head and shoulders above the other AFC teams.

Here's to no more injuries to either of our teams, cheers!

Texans fan here, I am not sure why everyone is so down on Schaub, especially using last night as a reason. The conditions were so terrible that the best passing team in the league would have struggled mightily.
Not to mention they were playing one of the best defenses in the league. Schaub will have a field day against the Patriots secondary. Of course, it still may not be enough we'll see. :D

The people who can't recognize him as a solid QB probably never actually saw him play

Just thought of something, correct me if I'm wrong on this. If we win out and Denver beats Baltimore and also wins out that puts all of us at 13-3. Since at that point we all have one win and one loss against each other the next tie breaker is conference record right? We would be 11-1 and they would both be 10-2, so we would get the 2 seed. Am I wrong here?

Just thought of something, correct me if I'm wrong on this. If we win out and Denver beats Baltimore and also wins out that puts all of us at 13-3. Since at that point we all have one win and one loss against each other the next tie breaker is conference record right? We would be 11-1 and they would both be 10-2, so we would get the 2 seed. Am I wrong here?

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

9. Best net points in conference games.

10. Best net points in all games.

11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

12. Coin toss
- - - - -

Ok, so step 1 is irrelevant. Step 2 wouldn't apply since none of the three teams swept the other two. Step 3 is winning % within the conference. And the Pats' 11-1 AFC record would put them at the #2 seed.

At least that's how I read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back