PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Admire Bengals Defensive Drafting

I like our current Defense but it could be even better.

BB played a very dangerous game with the DT depth going into the season... and then the unthinkable happened, Wilfork finally got hurt.

I do agree that the Pats were thin at Dline at the preseason, even more so now.

Exactly... but my point is Buchanan hasn't done nearly enough to project him to be as good as 2 Pro Bowl calibre players

Buchanan was projected by a lot of people to go somewhere around the 4th round give or take a round. That is right were all these incredible Bengals D players came from. So how is it SOOO impossible to think he could measure up to them eventually?

Buchanan was projected by a lot of people to go somewhere around the 4th round give or take a round. That is right were all these incredible Bengals D players came from. So how is it SOOO impossible to think he could measure up to them eventually?

He's lucky he even got drafted in the 7th. He was a fringe UDFA guy.

Marcus Forston was also projected to be a 1st rounder before his Senior season started. Now he's on a practice squad. Since he was once projected as a 1st rounder, does that mean we should project him as the next Warren Sapp?

See how that works out?

jon-stewart-huh.gif

Michael Buchanan*|*Illinois,*DE*:*2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Michael Buchanan, DE, Illinois, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

NFL Draft 2013: Michael Buchanan scouting report - Big Cat Country

SportingNews had him as the top DE going into the 2012 college season.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...ds-rankings-michael-buchanan-barkevious-mingo

@JMC... I already spoke on that.

"Marcus Forston was also projected to be a 1st rounder before his Senior season started. Now he's on a practice squad. Since he was once projected as a 1st rounder, does that mean we should project him as the next Warren Sapp?".

Things don't always work out that way.

If you look at those pre-season draft rankings, you will see the actual draft never turns out remotely close to that.

I will say this... I think Buchanan was a good pick up for a 7th rounder. I hope he turns out to be a great player. My point was he hasn't done nearly enough to be compared to two pro bowl calibre DE's like Dunlap and Michael Johnson.

Marcus Forston was also projected to be a 1st rounder before his Senior season started. Now he's on a practice squad. Since he was once projected as a 1st rounder, does that mean we should project him as the next Warren Sapp?

See how that works out?

It's a better comparison to see how they were projected coming into the draft, but regardless that in and of it self is irrelevant.

Sapp is a HOF, compared to a guy who made a pro bowl. (remind you Meriweather also made a pro bowl :D ) Dunlap and Johnson aren't HOF caliber players, and Atkins is a long ways away before you could make that argument, and I wasn't comparing to Atkins anyways since he's a DT.

but keep throwing out all these crazy analogies, they are at least entertaining if nothing else.

Sapp is a HOF, compared to a guy who made a pro bowl. (remind you Meriweather also made a pro bowl :D ) Dunlap and Johnson aren't HOF caliber players,

You're right, but you missed my point entirely. Pre-Season draft rankings mean nothing.

I remember a time when Matt Leinart was supposedly the surefire #1 overall pick.

I remember a time when Brady Quinn was supposed to be the next Tom Brady.

A better example for Buchanan is George Selvie. Selvie was projected to be a Top 10 draft pick. Then he had a terrible senior season and ended up being drafted in the 7th round.

Pats defense got 4 sacks, 2 turnovers, limit opponent to 13 points. I don't understand the nitpicking of the Patriots defensive draft picks....

Those picks hollowed out our offense and are forcing us to consider signing Talib to a mega deal instead of enjoying a cheap four year rookie deal.

Those picks hollowed out our offense and are forcing us to consider signing Talib to a mega deal instead of enjoying a cheap four year rookie deal.

Although a guy going on a murdering spree, a guy Derrick Rosing it and a guy that if he wanted to still be here could have been hasn't really helped matters.

And Talib getting a mega deal. Bill knows he has to do it because he just spent the last 5 years trying to find that #1 CB and it could be argued that he actually spent the last 8 years looking for that #1 CB that can play man. Ya Asante was good here but he was a zone corner that wanted $9-10 million a year and that was 5 years ago when that kind of money for a CB was unheard of. I actually think he made $14 million that first year in Philly.

I think there is just no way he risks that happening again, you have the guy in-house gotta get the deal done.

I remember in third grade pulling the pigtails of this girl and she winked at me. Then she moved to another school. She turned out to be a fashion model.

Considering Cinci suckered us twice in a row with overloads on linemen, maybe we should have drafted their defensive coordinator (kidding). They could have picked up a handful of guys at home depot as long as they could put Solder in the position of being forced to pick up the guy with a direct shot at Brady, or the outside guy, who of course got the free shot. Those plays had nothing to do with drafting.

Margus Hunt (#99) looked pretty active yesterday too. That could turn out to be a quality pick as well.

Don't forget that the Pats drafted Dunlap's teamate, (now cut of course) Jermaine Cunnigham, WITH THE PICK BEFORE THE BENGALS DRAFTED Dunlap

Our defense isn't too shabby either...

Don't forget that the Pats drafted Dunlap's teamate, (now cut of course) Jermaine Cunnigham, WITH THE PICK BEFORE THE BENGALS DRAFTED Dunlap

considering it's been brought up thousands of times, how could you?

I have a feeling someone is going to compile how many pass rushers were taken ahead of Buchanan someday.

Yes, and it was the completely correct decision based on their defensive scheme at the time. If Belichick had a crystal ball and could tell that he'd be switching to a 4-3 in the near future, then Dunlap would have been the better pick.

That one kills me.

Belichick spent so much time scouting that Florida team and he still picked Cunningham over Dunlap.

Urban Meyer said BB always had a man crush on Cunningham.

That one kills me.

Belichick spent so much time scouting that Florida team and he still picked Cunningham over Dunlap.

Urban Meyer said BB always had a man crush on Cunningham.
Well gosh, it's not like somebody named the primary reason in the post right before yours.

Well gosh, it's not like somebody named the primary reason in the post right before yours.

A good player is a good player is a good player.

Dunlap is a good player. Cunningham is not.

Belichick finds roles for all sorts of players. He doesn't take weight into consideration nearly as much as the posters on this forum do.

What makes you think Dunlap couldn't play in a 34? I find it funny how some people here make statements over and over as if it's a fact, when it clearly isn't.

Mario Williams is 295lbs and successfully played 34 OLB on the Texans.

I thought this thread was about admiring the Bengals' drafting. All I'm seeing is a bunch of tired, regurgitated Bill bashing. :confused4: :confused2:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back