Michael Johnson
Round: 3 / Pick: 70

Geno Atkins
Round: 4 / Pick: 120

Carlos Dunlap
Round: 2 / Pick: 54

Domata Peko
Round: 4 / Pick: 123

They've put together the best Defensive Line in the NFL with mid-round selections.

Meanwhile we wasted our plethora of 2nd-3rd rounds picks on Ras-I Dowling, Terrance Wheatley, Darius Butler, Ron Brace, Patrick Chung, Tavon Wilson, Kevin O'Connell, Jermaine Cunningham, Taylor Price, Tyrone McKenzie, and Shawn Crable.

We've been great in Rd 1 and do a good job of finding UDFA's, but we have been HORRIBLE in rounds 2-4 in the past 5 years or so.

I really wanted the Pats to pick a depth DT in last years draft. I liked Brandon Thompson and Devon Still. Bengals got both of them. We got Tavon Wilson. Now with Wilfork out, we are going to pay for that.
Another thing we've needed since our OLine got demolished in the 2007 SuperBowl, is developmental prospects at Guard and Center. Other than Marcus Cannon we haven't touched those positions in recent years.

You gotta give it to the Bengals. They've done an amazing job drafting and you can't even say it's because they tanked and got early picks. All their stars on the Dline were mid rounders that everyone else passed on numerous times.

I really wanted the Pats to pick a depth DT in last years draft. I liked Brandon Thompson and Devon Still. Bengals got both of them.
You realize both of these guys combined have done less for the Bengals than Wilson has for the Pats, right?

I guess. Appears the only downside is that the Bengals have sucked for very long stretches of time. Sure you get the odd spike of success but they return to suckitude fairly quickly.

Geno Atkins is the best pass rushing DT since Warren Sapp and they got him in the 4th round amazing

Good for them. Get back to me when they win their division and a playoff game.

Michael Johnson

Meanwhile we wasted our plethora of 2nd-3rd rounds picks on Ras-I Dowling, Terrance Wheatley, Darius Butler, Ron Brace, Patrick Chung, Tavon Wilson, Kevin O'Connell, Jermaine Cunningham, Taylor Price, Tyrone McKenzie, and Shawn Crable.

The Darius Butler with the pick 6 today?

You realize both of these guys combined have done less for the Bengals than Wilson has for the Pats, right?

That's because they're behind 2 stud DTs on the depth chart, whereas Tavon Wilson was only playing behind another Patriots 2nd round bust last year.

Pick 6 was last Sunday. Today he had the game sealing INT.

and he had a great pass deflection a few plays before that. I only caught the end of the game, but he looked decent. He's one guy, I didn't want to give up on so quick.

Michael Johnson
Round: 3 / Pick: 70

Geno Atkins
Round: 4 / Pick: 120

Carlos Dunlap
Round: 2 / Pick: 54

Domata Peko
Round: 4 / Pick: 123

They've put together the best Defensive Line in the NFL with mid-round selections.

We've been great in Rd 1 and do a good job of finding UDFA's, but we have been HORRIBLE in rounds 2-4 in the past 5 years or so.

I really wanted the Pats to pick a depth DT in last years draft. I liked Brandon Thompson and Devon Still. Bengals got both of them. We got Tavon Wilson. Now with Wilfork out, we are going to pay for that.
Another thing we've needed since our OLine got demolished in the 2007 SuperBowl, is developmental prospects at Guard and Center. Other than Marcus Cannon we haven't touched those positions in recent years.

You gotta give it to the Bengals. They've done an amazing job drafting and you can't even say it's because they tanked and got early picks. All their stars on the Dline were mid rounders that everyone else passed on numerous times.

I'm not going to go through all the selections, (I'm sure someone will) but it's convenient that you didn't mention any of the Bengals misses or some of the Pats hits in the mid rounds. Not to mention that Dennard was a steal, who would you rather have? Dennard or The first round pick Dre Kirkpatrick? Hmmmm? Also Buchanan could be just as good as Dunlap and Johnson imo, we'll have to wait and see.

The Darius Butler with the pick 6 today?

Yup. The same one who was horrible in New England and the Patriots released.

The fact that he was so bad in New England he got cut.... yet he's succeeding on another team, only makes our coaches ability to develop talent look even worse.

Not to mention that Dennard was a steal, who would you rather have? Dennard or The first round pick Dre Kirkpatrick?

We missed on Wheatley, Wilhite, Butler, Dowling.

So finally we hit on Dennard. 1 out of 5 is pretty bad considering how high some of those guys got drafted.

Hmmmm? Also Buchanan could be just as good as Dunlap and Johnson imo, we'll have to wait and see.

Johnson and Dunlap are both Pro Bowl calibre players. Buchanan hasn't done nearly enough for anyone to realistically say he could be just as good as them.

That's because they're behind 2 stud DTs on the depth chart, whereas Tavon Wilson was only playing behind another Patriots 2nd round bust last year.
You're giving Peko a lot more credit than he deserves. He only played 55% of the defensive snaps through 4 games.

Even if we excuse them for not getting much time behind Atkins and Peko, what's their excuse for both getting fewer snaps that Pat Sims? He was so coveted in free agency this past offseason that he ended up on a one year deal with the Raiders.

Johnson and Dunlap are both Pro Bowl calibre players. Buchanan hasn't done nearly enough for anyone to realistically say he could be just as good as them.

So if someone said that they thought Dunlap, Johnson or Atkins could be as good as some current Pro Bowl players during their rookie years they would of been wrong?

The word "Could" means maybe. It's an opinion it can't be proven wrong today, and even if it doesn't happen it could of.

Also if you found out what Buchanan's Sack per play ratio was, I bet it would be higher then anyone on the Bungles.

So if someone said that they thought Dunlap, Johnson or Atkins could be as good as some current Pro Bowl players during their rookie years they would of been wrong?

The word "Could" means maybe. It's an opinion it can't be proven wrong today, and even if it doesn't happen it could of.

Also if you found out what Buchanan's Sack per play ratio was, I bet it would be higher then anyone on the Bungles.

Yup.

And you "could" be the next Bill Gates.

I "could" win the lottery tomorrow.

Jermaine Cunningham "could've" been the next LT.

Pats defense got 4 sacks, 2 turnovers, limit opponent to 13 points. I don't understand the nitpicking of the Patriots defensive draft picks....

Yup.

And you "could" be the next Bill Gates.

I "could" win the lottery tomorrow.

Jermaine Cunningham "could've" been the next LT.

Finally you get it!

But you said that that Buchanan hasn't done enough to be compared to those guys, which I think is wrong. There are plenty of college players like Andrew Luck who have been compared to the all time best QB's with out ever taking a snap in the NFL.

We have his college tapes, we seen him all training camp & preseason and we've even seen him in games that actually count. It's called projecting.

Pats defense got 4 sacks, 2 turnovers, limit opponent to 13 points. I don't understand the nitpicking of the Patriots defensive draft picks....

I like our current Defense but it could be even better.

BB played a very dangerous game with the DT depth going into the season... and then the unthinkable happened, Wilfork finally got hurt.

Finally you get it!

But you said that that Buchanan hasn't done enough to be compared to those guys, which I think is wrong. There are plenty of college players like Andrew Luck who have been compared to the all time best QB's with out ever taking a snap in the NFL.

We have his college tapes, we seen him all training camp & preseason and we've even seen him in games that actually count. It's called projecting.

Exactly... but my point is Buchanan hasn't done nearly enough to project him to be as good as 2 Pro Bowl calibre players

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back