PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
2006 980000.00
2007 1370000.00
2008 1650000.00
2009 2000000.00
2010 2000000.00

Add $700,000 to the above numbers to get his cap hit. His 2006 cap hit is $1,680,000 or $1.2 million less than Vandy's 2005 cap hit or about $1 million less than Adam's 2005 cap hit.

The total of the salaries and the signing bonus add up to $11.5 million so either the deal is not big as originally reported (What a shock, that is) or Adam has some unreported roster bonuses in his deal.

Miguel said:
2006 980000.00
2007 1370000.00
2008 1650000.00
2009 2000000.00
2010 2000000.00

Add $700,000 to the above numbers to get his cap hit. His 2006 cap hit is $1,680,000 or $1.2 million less than Vandy's 2005 cap hit or about $1 million less than Adam's 2005 cap hit.

The total of the salaries and the signing bonus add up to $11.5 million so either the deal is not big as originally reported (What a shock, that is) or Adam has some unreported roster bonuses in his deal.
wow.....and we could spend this??? wow

I heard on WEEI, Wed or thurs, about 5:30PM that Adam's contract with the Colts gave him 9mil in guaranteed money over 3 years. That surprised me. I knew that the 3.5 mil bonus was all his.

Any truth to that????

The guaranteed money doesn't bother me that much, kickers rarely get hurt. I was more against spending a bunch of money on a kicker that is 33 (34 at the end of this season) and Belichick didn't trust with long FG last year, in the second half especially.

Can he be a good kicker for 5 years ? Probably. But it'll probably be from 40 and in within a year or two.

PATSNUTme said:
I heard on WEEI, Wed or thurs, about 5:30PM that Adam's contract with the Colts gave him 9mil in guaranteed money over 3 years. That surprised me. I knew that the 3.5 mil bonus was all his.

Any truth to that????

Did WEEI give a breakdown of Adam's contract??

I can't dispute WEEI's numbers. I can only point out that for their report to be true that Adam's salaries for the 2006/2007/2008 season would ALL have to be guaranteed and Adam had to be guaranteed another $1.5 million in roster bonuses. Eventually, the complete truth about Adam's numbers will come out. Let's just say that I do not think that WEEI's report will be proven accurate.

So, it's basically a three-year $7.5 million deal. He'll never see years four and five on that contract. Too tempting to save the $2 million a year cap room in a year when Manning's cap number goes through the roof.

PATSNUTme said:

Any truth to that????

Too many of you listened to the hysterics babbling about $3M+ per year. I kept trying to tell folks that highest paid by all measures meant we were talking about 5/$11M+/$3M+ bonus/$2.25M+AAV.

The Colts said all along his deal would average $2.5M per for the first 3 - which is exactly what it does. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinal reported it was essentially a 4 year $9.6M deal, which is just about on the mark since it is unlikely he's cut in year 4 with a $2M cap or $1.4M remaining dead cap hit unless he really went bad. In the 5th year - when he's 37 - they either pay him $2M or cut him at $700K.

The first two years are $1M less and $600K less than what we carried him on our cap at last season. The remaining three seasons are about $200K more apiece than what we carried him on our cap at last season.

Considering what they were paying 35 year old Vanderjerk last season just to PK ($2.8M) this was a great deal for the Colts. They got younger and cheaper and clutcher at the position. Seems like it would have been a pretty good deal for us too - particularly had we done it last year, freeing up a nice chunk of cap space and securing an elite kicker through age 35 in 2008 at a reasonable value cap hit given what the cap will rise to by then ($120M+). And given the number of games we persist in winning by 6 points or less.

Oh well, we can just test BelichichFan's JAG kicker theory now instead. It probably will be cheaper in the short term, and a lot more exciting that way. Too bad we didn't somehow hang on to Robbie Gould last season. He's in that 75% accruracy range that's NBD, and his leg is only about 5+ yards shorter than old Adams on PD and almost equal at 24 on KO's, so that would have been a great place to start. :rolleyes:

Oh well... In BB we trust. :eat1:

hwc said:
So, it's basically a three-year $7.5 million deal. He'll never see years four and five on that contract. Too tempting to save the $2 million a year cap room in a year when Manning's cap number goes through the roof.

Since they would only save $1.3M with the dead cap hit and lose their kicker don't count on it. This deal looks fine for at least the first 4 years.

And have you learned nothing about the way the Manning deal will be handled by Polian and Condon over the last few weeks hwc? Miguel is right, they will restructure after this season and only pay the cap piper long after Adam (and possibly Peyton) is gone.

Last edited:
I think you can gather all the facts and figures and it doesn't matter. Belichick IMO simply was tired of Adam's selfishness which did not fit into the concept of the team...the Bar was set with Brady not being the highest paid QB.

Adam was gone as was Willie and Givens no matter what. Kraft stepped in for brown because he was smart enough to see this. How to get rid of your players when you try to move on....simply offer less and less depending on the offers that are out there. All this was easy to see when Belichick said their would be no more tags. Really, with all our draft picks it would have been easy to pay Adam 1 more year with a tag and replace a vet with a rookie.

Adam's 2006 cap number (from what I can gather - 1,680,000) is less than Vanderjagt's 2006 cap number (from what I can gather - $1,733,333). It could be higher if Adam has some unreported roster bonuses or a large offseason workout bonus money but what from what I know about the Colts' salary cap MO it is not likely that Adam has unreported roster bonuses or a large offseason workout bonus money.

IMO, I agree with MLR. This is a great deal for the Colts.

Miguel said:

I can't dispute WEEI's numbers. I can only point out that for their report to be true that Adam's salaries for the 2006/2007/2008 season would ALL have to be guaranteed and Adam had to be guaranteed another $1.5 million in roster bonuses. Eventually, the complete truth about Adam's numbers will come out. Let's just say that I do not think that WEEI's report will be proven accurate.

No they were blowing wind as usual. But they did repeat it seveal times to a caller who was ranting about the loss of Adam.

Now, they may have cited something just before I tuned it.

Miguel said:

I only heard part of that on EEI...and I would trust Miguel's breakdown of it before the buffoons on EEI...No, the didn't say that
the 9mil was guranteed..instead they said because of the cap consequences of cutting him after a year or two (if his back was bad), the deal effectively
guranteed 9mil or words to that effect. I don't know if this makes sense with you numbers or not..but that is basically what they concluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back