PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Schein: The Pats have the best roster in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is that when the Pats ran a 3-4 base, the players who were DEs in the nickel package were *also* OLBs in the 3-4 running downs - McGinest, Vrabel, Colvin, sometimes Thomas.

Now, with the Pats *appearing* to run a 4-3, those DEs in the nickel package are NOT playing OLB in the early down base defense. That's the key difference; I'm not sure if you were at practice or not today (that would break a pretty damn good streak too), but Burgess, by all reports, was not in the same role as the four players I described above. He was *only* used in a nickel/4-3 DE role.

I was there...I saw what you are speaking of but because of his size I see him more of a LBer type but I guess we are splitting hairs.

I actually had the thought when I saw this that this years defense might be very fluid from play to play. On first and 10 I see base 3-4 but 3rd and1 I could see 4-3. The nickel and Dime packages have been fluid for years with them somtimes using 3,2,1 and zero of the dlinemen opting for more LBs on the field whether they have a hand down or not.

Added: reading what I said a second time I think the key is 1st and ten happens more often than most other situations and that combined with all the crazy things they do with LBs in nickle and dime is why you need the #s at the LB position more than the line....but we are thinking more on the same lines than this discussion would seem.

Last edited:
The Pats don't use a 3-3-5 as often as you think and they probably won't. The 3-3-5 just isn't an effective pass rushing formation.
I believe what makes the 3-3-5 effective or ineffective as a pass rushing formation is personnel. 2005-2008 saw no real pass rush from ILB once Bruschi was slowed down. This limited the rush to coming off the edge, narrowing the choices for the OL to protect against. Guyton flashed some potential last season, and with a year and offseason under his belt Mayo is ready to mix in more effectively. A 3 man front with the big three, all of whom can be effective collapsing the pocket - or mix in Green or Wright as you will - and a mix of Adalius, Mayo, Guyton, Burgess, or Woods at LB could bring the fourth man from any of three slots (contrary to some speculation, Burgess has two seasons of 3-4 OLB exposure for Rob Ryan, I'm sure BB has seen plenty of tape on him from those days). With a stronger rush from LB, NE could even use some zone blitz principles and drop a DL into an underneath zone.

I expect Warren to not be as explosive this season coming off double groin surgery, Wright, Green, or Smith will be taking more of his reps on passing downs. I'd actually expect Brace to platoon more with Warren than Wilfork initially as Ty continues to build back from surgery.

When I was at TC last week thought this team looked scary deep, with the addition of Taylor, Galloway, Lewis and Volmer on O... we have incredible depth and experience...

On D it has practically been revamped outside of the D-Line.. some of the defenses we will see this year will defy normal descriptions.. there are so many different cogs and combinations that BB will use, would hate to be a young QB facing this team..

It is always too early to tell, but last year we all complained about:

Pass Rush: On Paper Improved
Special Teams: Hard to tell, but new coach and new personnel
Corners: Looks improved, one thing for sure is that there are a lot of talented new personnel.
LB's: Lenon, Williams(hybrid) and now Burgess are good additions, along with a bunch more mature rookies...

The key is injuries, and if if lady luck shines on us.. this is gonna be a kickass season..

Beyond my comprehension to imagine what BB will do with all these pieces of the puzzle... if I was a NYJ, Dolphins or Bills fan would load up on depends right about now..

The chargers probably have overall better talent, but they have such a weakness compared to the Pats at head coach it sways it in the Patriots favour

The Redskins roster looks damn good every year as well ...in the offseason..and what has that produced them?

The Pats don't use a 3-3-5 as often as you think and they probably won't. The 3-3-5 just isn't an effective pass rushing formation.

I think necessity [injuries] forced them to run the 3-3-5 a bit more last season, and I thought it was pretty effective. I like the interior pressure Wright provides. A 3-man line of Sey, Wright, Green in a nickel 3-3-5 would get some of our best pass rushers on the field.

Now that we have Burgess, now that OLB isn't as thin, there isn't the necessity to run that package as much. The versatility having more LBs on the field provides can be used as an advantage. But if they have to, I do think the 3-3-5 w their current personnel is a pretty good package.

Last edited:
I do expect more use of the front 4 as it puts more of this year's talent on the field. That said what's equally good is that 2009 opponents must now game plan and practice against a Pats 4-3-4, 4-2-5 and 3-4-4 and 3-3-5, all of which have the players to be effective. Never mind the occasional wild man D where numerous LBs and SSs walk around seemingly aimlessly before the snap. It drove the Bledsoe Bills nuts.

Last edited:
The chargers probably have overall better talent, but they have such a weakness compared to the Pats at head coach it sways it in the Patriots favour

am I the only one sick of the "chagers have alot of talent" crap every year? Every year everyone says it, and every year they suck ass.

I really hope we don't have an injury-plagued season with this year's talent.

am I the only one sick of the "chagers have alot of talent" crap every year? Every year everyone says it, and every year they suck ass.

8-8
11-5
14-2
9-7
12-4

I'm not sure how that's sucking ass every year. I think that the Patriots have the most talent in the NFL, but that doesn't mean that the Chargers are bringing 53 Fredex's to the party.

Last edited:
8-8
11-5
14-2
9-7
12-4

I'm not sure how that's sucking ass every year. I think that the Patriots have the most talent in the NFL, but that doesn't mean that the Chargers are bringing 53 Fredex's to the party.

With adding Larry English on defense who I think could be a playmaker and a shot at DRPOY and a healthy Merriman we could see a MUCH better Chargers team than the 8-8 last year. - 12-4 should be about right and with that should earn a #2 or 3 seed

With adding Larry English on defense who I think could be a playmaker and a shot at DRPOY and a healthy Merriman we could see a MUCH better Chargers team than the 8-8 last year. - 12-4 should be about right and with that should earn a #2 or 3 seed
not to mention the AFC west looks to be a very easy division.

not to mention the AFC west looks to be a very easy division.

Indeed it does,In fact the Raiduhs may be the second best team in that division if Garcia is allowed to start which should be a no brainer if they want to win 8 games or so

Ok, maybe not every year, but an 8-8 team in the playoffs is freaking gay. Classy L.T. and his stupid face, and Rivers with his, cutler like "I havent won anything important but people crown me the next great qb" crap.

Things I hope for this season

19-0 patriots season

0-16 jets chargers, bills dolphins seasons (I know its not possible with alot of them teams playing eachother)

Cutler to fall flat on his cry baby face

Matt cassel to somehow get the cheifs to the playoffs, so I can see cassel vs brady.

patriots superbowl victory over the giants in the fashion it should have been.

I think this roster has the ability to do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back