PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Action In The Offseason Before The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they should try and resign Light and Mankins if possible and draft a C/G in Rnd 1/2to eventually replace Koppen/Connolly.

For RB I think they will go after Pierre Thomas if his price is right and then draft an RB in Rnd 3/4.

For Defense Ray Edwards of the Vikings has the size and ability for OLB/DE and again I think the price would have to be right.

If Faulk and Taylor don't come back next season, I've got my eye on Kevin Smith (DET).

Gauging the "hopes" of the board on re-signing Mankins seem high. Personally, I'm of the opinion that this guy is as good as gone and the Patriots' front office will be fine without him. Whether they will be fine on the field is a whole different issue. Glad it is the least of our worries this year.

For a FA RB, I think the Pats will take a good look at Chester Taylor, who I think will be cut by CHI at the end of the season (because they're paying him a lot of $$ for less than stellar production). I think Taylor's looked crappy this season (so has Forte) primarily because the Bears' O-line has little talent AND they're using Mike Martz's crappy blocking schemes. Taylor, running behind our line/schemes, may experience a bit of an "LT Renaissance" thing. Plus, he'll be about the right "vintage" (31). And he'll be dirt cheap.

Pierre Thomas and DeAngelo Williams may be possibilities, but they'll be significantly more expensive. Kevin Smith might be another good suggestion since he's also likely to be cheap.

Whichever way they go for a FA RB, they probably also draft a solid RB prospect, though almost certainly not in the 1st round.

Of course, since I said that, BB will probably take Ingram with the Raiders pick. Just to F with my head. Specifically MY head. That is, unless a majority of Kiper, McShay, Mayock et al predict that BB will take Ingram. Then he WON'T - just to F with THEIR heads.

Of course, since I said that, BB will probably take Ingram with the Raiders pick. Just to F with my head. Specifically MY head. That is, unless a majority of Kiper, McShay, Mayock et al predict that BB will take Ingram. Then he WON'T - just to F with THEIR heads.

hahaha yeah basically this every year

After a few weeks to evaluate some things here are some FA's I think the Pats should give a test drive at least.

Resigning Light and Mankins if possible should be priority No 1.

After that I don’t see them going after much since they have so many draft picks this year and have had even more the last two years and need to give guys time to develop. Some areas that may need addressing are RB, Backup NT, OL and DE.

1. Pierre Thomas, RB, New Orleans: 26yrs old. Showed interest in him at the trade deadline and as long as they don’t overpay and he can stay healthy should make a good addition to the RB by Committee with BJGE, Woody, and a 2011 Draft Pick. The Pats paid Fred Taylor $5Mil to basically sit on the bench for the last two years so anything more than that would be considered an improvement.

2. Alan Branch, DE/NT, Arizona: 26yrs old. Considered a Bust because he was picked 33rd overall in 2007 and has been a career backup. Fortunately that’s what the Pats need is someone to give Wilfork a rest. Has some weight issues but if he signs a contract with incentives and a weight clause I think Pepper Johnson has something to work with. Switched to DE this year because the Cards drafted Dan Williams so has versatility as well to play in the DL rotation. Possibly replacement for Myron Pryor or Gerard Warren.

3. Adam Goldberg, G/T, St. Louis: Depending on how the Mankins situation turns out the Pats could use a veteran OL. Good run blocker that has started at all Tackle and Guard positions. Only OL in league that has started at four different positions. Last contract was 2yrs for $1.8 mil which is reasonable. Currently at RG so could be a Stephen Neal replacement if he retires and/or Nick Kazcur isn't brought back.

#1, Mankins. I would use the uncapped year and re-sign Mankins. He came back early and has been a huge difference. The Pats are going to need to replace Neal next year, and they do not want to go inot a year with 2 new starting guards.

#2, Light. He has more than held his own, he deserves to end his career here. With 5 picks in the top 70, the Pats could draft a replacement for Light (I would keep Vollmer at RT).

Then off to free agency. It is very hard to speculate who will or will not be a free agent. With the CBA still undecided, any talk of Free agents is pre-mature. I will put out my two cents and trying to sign a certain DE from Oakland.......................

Al Davis' head would implode. :rofl:

I think the return of Branch, and his re-birth here, is going to be an eye opener for Seymour. Things are clearly not greener on the other side. Maybe Seymour is saying to himself, maybe I can go home again....................

Plus to watch Mr. Burns's head explode would be classic!!!!

IMHO, we need to re-sign LIGHT and MANKINS if we can.

NEAL may or may not be back for another year, ditto KACZUR.

Originally I was thinking the same thing and am still somewhat hopeful that it plays out this way but I don't see the Pats signing two players on the offensive line. My guess is that one of them leaves (likely Mankins) and a round 1 or 2 pick is used on an offensive lineman.

So my off season looks like

Tender all RFAs
Sign Matt Light (2 years for $9M in total)
Sign Mathias Kiwanuka DE/OLB (4 years $12 M)

Draft - fill in holes
Round 1A - Defensive Line
Round 1B - Offensive Line
Round 2A -Safety
Round 2B -OLB
Round 3A -RB
Round 3C - WR

Plus several lower to mid tier players.

Rating of 2011 Roster (based on currently signed players):
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApWRaF25BKdAdHV6ZXlIMnNBQ3FNQXNhc0IweWJ6bUE&hl=en

Originally I was thinking the same thing and am still somewhat hopeful that it plays out this way but I don't see the Pats signing two players on the offensive line. My guess is that one of them leaves (likely Mankins) and a round 1 or 2 pick is used on an offensive lineman.

So my off season looks like

Tender all RFAs
Sign Matt Light (2 years for $9M in total)
Sign Mathias Kiwanuka DE/OLB (4 years $12 M)

Draft - fill in holes
Round 1A - Defensive Line
Round 1B - Offensive Line
Round 2A -Safety
Round 2B -OLB
Round 3A -RB
Round 3C - WR

Plus several lower to mid tier players.

Rating of 2011 Roster (based on currently signed players):
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApWRaF25BKdAdHV6ZXlIMnNBQ3FNQXNhc0IweWJ6bUE&hl=en

Why sign Kiwanuka?

Why sign Kiwanuka?

I think he is a player on the rise, he is tough and plays a very physical style but was stuck behind a lot of talent in New York. He comes from a winning program (Yes, I am throwing up in my mouth for thinking about the game that shall never be talked about).

If, and it is a big if, he can stay healthy I don't think the surface of his talent has been scratched.

I like draft picks but typically they are 2-3 years away from contributing. I would rather see a blend of youts and veterans at OLB.

Throw Marcus Spears into the mix at RDE, these are players who won't break the bank and have their best football ahead of them.

I am interested in any thoughts in free agency, any guys who are mid tier but could fit with the Patriots.

With Neal being put on IR I think his career is over so the Pats will need at least 1 OG. Probably through the draft.

There's money to sign Mankins if he wants to come back but I think it's 50/50 at this point.

Matt Light is another matter. I think he will sign a deal similar to Neal last year for 2 years in the $6-7 mil range. He's not getting any younger and I don't think he will get more elsewhere.

Neal and Kazcur are counting for about $8.2 Mil in Salary next year and if they cut them both or Neal retires they can save about $6-7 Mil of that which would be enough to bring in a top flight FA OL that I think is flying under the radar.

C Ryan Kalil from the Panthers. He's 25 and already has been to one Pro-bowl. He would have been resigned this year but the 30% rule prevented that. Carolina isn't going to Franchise him because he would get OT money and also they have DeAngelo Williams as a FA as well. He's reportedly wanting $30mil/5 years which is reasonable.

Koppen only has one year left on his deal and could be upgraded. He could be traded to a team like Kansas City who has the ancient Casey Wiegmann (38 next year) starting at Center and who is also familiar with Koppen (Matt Cassel, Charlie Weis). It would be a win/win for both teams.

What is Bodden's status next year? He's signed a long term deal? We all know how much BB loves drafting CB's........

With Neal being put on IR I think his career is over so the Pats will need at least 1 OG. Probably through the draft.

There's money to sign Mankins if he wants to come back but I think it's 50/50 at this point.

Matt Light is another matter. I think he will sign a deal similar to Neal last year for 2 years in the $6-7 mil range. He's not getting any younger and I don't think he will get more elsewhere.

Neal and Kazcur are counting for about $8.2 Mil in Salary next year and if they cut them both or Neal retires they can save about $6-7 Mil of that which would be enough to bring in a top flight FA OL that I think is flying under the radar.

C Ryan Kalil from the Panthers. He's 25 and already has been to one Pro-bowl. He would have been resigned this year but the 30% rule prevented that. Carolina isn't going to Franchise him because he would get OT money and also they have DeAngelo Williams as a FA as well. He's reportedly wanting $30mil/5 years which is reasonable.

Koppen only has one year left on his deal and could be upgraded. He could be traded to a team like Kansas City who has the ancient Casey Wiegmann (38 next year) starting at Center and who is also familiar with Koppen (Matt Cassel, Charlie Weis). It would be a win/win for both teams.

The Kalil scenario is a very interesting one... because it would let us draft another Guard somewhere in the draft but effectively replace koppen with a younger model. basically addressing the OL issues (assuming mankins and light come back) We could also sneak a 5th or so out of kansas for an experienced center.

...a very very intriguing scenario

What is Bodden's status next year? He's signed a long term deal? We all know how much BB loves drafting CB's........

Bodden is signed through 2014. Even with him and McCourty I think BB will draft a CB this year. Originally I was saying Brandon Harris from Miami because I thought the Oakland pick was going to be in the 15-18 range but now that it is looking top 10 then I think it will probably be end of Round 2/Round 3 that CB will be addressed.

Bodden is signed through 2014. Even with him and McCourty I think BB will draft a CB this year. Originally I was saying Brandon Harris from Miami because I thought the Oakland pick was going to be in the 15-18 range but now that it is looking top 10 then I think it will probably be end of Round 2/Round 3 that CB will be addressed.

i don't know... i think that entire line of thinking depends greatly on butler... butler progresses by the end of the season... I really don't think we need another CB. He doesn't and it makes the position one worth considering.

In all honesty looking at our team and the youth at positions like DE. My targets are OL and Olb. i think every other position has youth from our drafts to strengthen through experience. At olb as much as i hate when people ramble on about it i can see a draft pick being an upgrade on at least Woods but probably Ninko and even Tully as well.

On OL Signings play a big key but worst case no one resigns... it transfers from a strength to a weakness.

I think with Neal going down, re-signing Mankins is a MUST. The guy is a beast, plays every week, and would set up the draft so that the Pats can do BPA (DE. OLB, OL). If you don't sing Mankins, you have to find two new guards, and that is not going to be good.

I think with Neal going down, re-signing Mankins is a MUST. The guy is a beast, plays every week, and would set up the draft so that the Pats can do BPA (DE. OLB, OL). If you don't sing Mankins, you have to find two new guards, and that is not going to be good.

That is my new jerk reaction as well, still $60M is a lot for a guard but since it is not my money I saw sign him. He and Vollmer maybe even Connolly are the future of the line. He is a top talent and brings all the intangibles; toughness, work ethic. Just look at how many more fights the Patriots have had since he came back, the guy is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News