Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
abraham.gif

As far as I can tell, this is the best deal ever for a DL in terms of
1.) new money over the 1st 3 years of the contract
2.) new money over the 1st 5 years of the contract

If Seymour were to be franchised for the 2007 and 2008 seasons, he would make more money (19.573 million) during those 2 years than Abraham will make in the 1st two years ($19.5 million). He would then hit free agency in 2009 at the ripe old age of 29.

Both Freeney and Seymour are in the last year of the contract. It will be interesting to see which one signs first, thereby possibly setting a benchmark for the other.

yeah Colts are looking for resign Freeney as quick as possible and I think Patriots should do the same with Seymour. Hes a big part of our defense and we cant afford to lose him even though Jarvis Green is a good player

Freeney is apparently the next order of business on the Colts radar, followed by Mathis. They say if they can't get both done they will franchise the other. Freeney's cap is over $6M this season. They will likely go heavy on bonus - Irsay got a large cash refund on they money the Colts would have received under their RCA Dome deal to clear that lease in anticipation of the new Lucas Oil Stadium (the LOS Dome :D ), so he's been able to be pretty flush on cash over cap again this season.

Abraham was apparently determined to play in Atlanta and not Seattle. I think his "demands" were slightly mitigated as a result. The little birdies have been telling Felger Richard wants his SB to "start" with a 2. And given the risk/reward I doubt he'd just settle for the tag even once at less than half that - not with those knees on his mind. It's not even a given he shows up this season. ;)

Miguel said:
abraham.gif

As far as I can tell, this is the best deal ever for a DL in terms of
1.) new money over the 1st 3 years of the contract
2.) new money over the 1st 5 years of the contract

If Seymour were to be franchised for the 2007 and 2008 seasons, he would make more money (19.573 million) during those 2 years than Abraham will make in the 1st two years ($19.5 million). He would then hit free agency in 2009 at the ripe old age of 29.

Both Freeney and Seymour are in the last year of the contract. It will be interesting to see which one signs first, thereby possibly setting a benchmark for the other.

My guess is that Freeney will sign first and his terms will only increase Seymour's demands. That's the flaw in the Patriots' overall negotiation strategy. Sometimes, you have to set the market before other, less fiscally responsible teams, set it for you. They need to be more proactive. If they want to extend Seymour, get it done because it will only get more expensive later.

Yes, the 3 year payout would be similar between Abraham's contract and what Seymour would earn if he played out his contract in 06 and was franchised in 07 & 08. The difference is that Abraham will pocket $17.5m in 06 compared to $5.02 m for Seymour. This is why Seymour and his agent should be practical here and get an extension done before next season. $12.5 m is a lot to gamble with on the chance you might make 10-20% more if you should make it to unrestricted free agency at 29 years of age with your health still intact.

Miguel, just an FYI, Abraham's signing bonus was $12.5 million. The other $3 million is in roster bonuses, $1 million this year and $2 million next.

AdamJT13 said:
Miguel, just an FYI, Abraham's signing bonus was $12.5 million. The other $3 million is in roster bonuses, $1 million this year and $2 million next.
Thanks for the info.

Updated graphic:
abrahamupdated.gif

MoLewisrocks said:
The little birdies have been telling Felger Richard wants his SB to "start" with a 2. And given the risk/reward I doubt he'd just settle for the tag even once at less than half that - not with those knees on his mind. It's not even a given he shows up this season. ;)

Strange to find a smiley punctuating that ominous last sentence!

I hope for two things:
That Richard understands that, if he does not play nicely with the other children ...
the Patriots can cost him A LOTTA CASH, by seeking signing bonus recapture and by franchising him repeatedly -
even though he might show up only for the final, what? 6 games.
Years of this would not add to his allure on the free agent market.

And, that the front office is not treating its labor force with the hauteur certain agents' comments
and spurned players may suggest. Piolichick MUST have clear communications with Big Sey and Twig
... and divine their wishes and intents in good time to do the right thing.

Unless there is somethnig I'm missing, it would seem that a long term deal with Seymour should be able to get done without being a cap killer for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back