PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Schobel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that one of the reasons he was contemplating retirement is that he doesn't want to play in a 3-4. If being on a better team would help him overcome that issue, I'd be all for bringing him in.

He wouldn't need to play many snaps as a 3-4 OLB (if at all) to contribute on this team. His value would be in the nickel/dime packages, where he can play end, and still play about 50% of the snaps. In a lot of ways, that might be his ideal situation.

Yeah, I'd love to have him. He's still a very good player. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats ended up with him either (despite the not wanting to play 3-4 thing).

He wouldn't need to play many snaps as a 3-4 OLB (if at all) to contribute on this team. His value would be in the nickel/dime packages, where he can play end, and still play about 50% of the snaps. In a lot of ways, that might be his ideal situation.

I hear you. I'd rather have him than Burgess, and he could basically play the same role that Burgess did last year. I just think that he might need some convincing.

Last edited:
I hear you. I'd rather have him than Burgess, and he could basically play the same role that Burgess did last year. I just think that he might need some convincing.

Perhaps Scarnecchia could make him an offer...

Apparently someone smacked Buddy Nix upside his head and he is no longer willing to release Schobel... per Rotoworld. LOL

Bills | Will not release Aaron Schobel

Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:42:25 -0400

The Buffalo Bills will not release DE Aaron Schobel and will explore trade options if he decides he wants to play in the NFL this season, reports BuffaloBills.com's Chris Brown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bills | Aaron Schobel happy with the team's decision

Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:42:07 -0400

Buffalo Bills DE Aaron Schobel said he is happy with the team's decision that they will be moving on from him because he believed he was becoming a distraction for the team, reports Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com. "I'm relieved. I'm happy," Schobel said. "With this happening it feels like they're ready for me to go on. I think I was more of a headache than a benefit so it's time. I don't have any regrets looking back. I really don't. I enjoyed the fans for the most part and my time in Buffalo." Schobel said he will take a few weeks to decide whether he will play in the NFL this season.

Read more: NFL News and Rumors - Hot off the Wire Fantasy Football News

Living in Bills territory, I have seen plenty of Schobel's play the last decade or so. He's not an OLB in a 3-4. But he can play DE in a 3-4. In fact, he did so his first two seasons in Buffalo and registered 6.5 and 8.5 sacks while doing so.

Schobel would be my third option. I'd prefer Burgess, just because he's familiar with the system already and started to come on at the end of last season. And I'd probably take Ogunleye over Schobel just because he's pretty good against the run as well.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it is Schobel, especially if he's willing to accept less. He was slated to make $6 million with the Bills, so hopefully he's not looking for that kind of money elsewhere.

Schobel would be my third option. I'd prefer Burgess, just because he's familiar with the system already and started to come on at the end of last season. And I'd probably take Ogunleye over Schobel just because he's pretty good against the run as well.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it is Schobel, especially if he's willing to accept less. He was slated to make $6 million with the Bills, so hopefully he's not looking for that kind of money elsewhere.
Who cares how much he costs, sign him for 1 year or front load it, there is no cap, just dont shell out money that will hamper future caps.
This guy would be an excellent addition for us, playing in sub packages.
I don't know if thats OK with him though, he may want an all down role.

Who cares how much he costs, sign him for 1 year or front load it, there is no cap, just dont shell out money that will hamper future caps.
This guy would be an excellent addition for us, playing in sub packages.
I don't know if thats OK with him though, he may want an all down role.

I'm still hopeful we can find a way to pay Brady, as well as Mankins (though that seems like a pipedream right now). So I'd rather have that $6 mill go towards those two items than Schobel, especially if we can spend 1/4 of that on Burgess or Ogunleye.

I'm still hopeful we can find a way to pay Brady, as well as Mankins (though that seems like a pipedream right now). So I'd rather have that $6 mill go towards those two items than Schobel, especially if we can spend 1/4 of that on Burgess or Ogunleye.
But we arent capped. Schobels money doesnt have to affect anyone elses unless you sign him to a deal that has high future cap hits.
If Schobel is the answer, Kraft will gladly shell out 4mill over his budget to get him. 4mill is a drop in the bucket in the operating expenses of the franchise. Hell, at final cutdown, the cumulatve decisions will make the payroll vary by more than that with no cap. We wont be cutting down based on paychecks.

But we arent capped. Schobels money doesnt have to affect anyone elses unless you sign him to a deal that has high future cap hits.
If Schobel is the answer, Kraft will gladly shell out 4mill over his budget to get him. 4mill is a drop in the bucket in the operating expenses of the franchise. Hell, at final cutdown, the cumulatve decisions will make the payroll vary by more than that with no cap. We wont be cutting down based on paychecks.

Just because there's no cap doesn't mean we should overspend on a guy, especially one who isn't an ideal fit for us. Schobel could be this year's Burgess. Lots of people thought we should pay whatever the Raiders wanted for Burgess because if he solved our biggest problem, it's totally worth it. I really hated that deal because it reeked of desperation, and we paid a lot for very little potential upside. It was like buying a stock at it's peak.

Schobel hasn't been really working out, he's not in training camp, he doesn't know our system, never played in a 3-4, doesn't want to play in a 3-4 in Buffalo...but I'm still willing to give him a chance. I just don't want to pay $6 million+ for the opportunity. I'd rather spend it on other things, like the contract bonuses or for multiple guys like Ogunleye and Ellis, or even throw a bit more at Burgess to see if that makes him want to play more.

And just because the Pats make a ton doesn't mean their funds are endless either. Two potentially big contract bonuses coming up combined with Vince's deal mean a lot of cash has already been spent. If Schobel is the answer, $6 million is fine. But I'm not convinced he's the answer, so I wouldn't want to pay it.

Schobel facts...ex-coach & buddy Greg Williams is with the Skins. And Schobel is from houston. These facts suggest that were he to be "free at last!" he'd not have Foxboro at the top of his destination list.

Aaron Schobel, will play for the bills or he will get trade it to a team that plays a 4-3 he dose not want to play 3-4 OLB

OT but NFL yearbook: 2009 Pats is on ESPN 2 at 830 if someone wants to start a thread... I don't have enough posts to!

Sorry for multiple posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft