PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the Bears & Fields

Penix... nah stay away.. did you see the championship ??
I’ve seen plenty of poor college games from quarterbacks who wound up being fantastic at the next level.

Look up some of Mahomes games at Texas Tech. He lost a game 66-10 once.

Reads to me the Bears are open for business on the 1st overall pick and they're giving Eberflus and Fields on more shot. Can't imagine we'd need to sell the farm to move up two spots and they'd be in position to take Marvin Harrison Jr if they're all in Fields they need to load up.
I don't know if I read it that way, but if that is the case, it would not be crazy expensive since they would probably love to still have pick 3. It would probably still either cost NE's 2nd & 3rd rounder at minimum. The typically used Rich Hill draft chart says it should be more expensive, but the 3rd overall pick is much more valuable than most years due to how good MHJ is, so that might get it done.

to me this says the staff was the issue, not fields, and they aren't ready to move on yet

others seem to think they are totally cleaning house and moving on from fields

thoughts?

Pats need to do the same, fire all offensive coaches.

I don't know if I read it that way, but if that is the case, it would not be crazy expensive since they would probably love to still have pick 3. It would probably still either cost NE's 2nd & 3rd rounder at minimum. The typically used Rich Hill draft chart says it should be more expensive, but the 3rd overall pick is much more valuable than most years due to how good MHJ is, so that might get it done.
I think them keeping Eberflus means they're keeping Fields because why give Eberflus a chance with a new QB only to can him a year later if it doesn't work and have the kid starting with a new coach. I feel like they're a package deal and someone will want that pick and Williams or Maye go 1 and 2 leaving 3 a good spot for any team that isn't in the QB market.

to me this says the staff was the issue, not fields, and they aren't ready to move on yet

others seem to think they are totally cleaning house and moving on from fields

thoughts?

Wow Job openings for our Coaches on the Offensive side of the ball.
Embarrassed The Office GIF by Justin

HARD pass on Fields in NE. Great runner, terrible passer, gets sacked a lot for a mobile QB. No thanks.
sb we have not been seeing eye to eye lately you've been way out in left field.

sb we have not been seeing eye to eye lately you've been way out in left field.
We haven't had a good passing QB since Tom Brady left and he won't change that.

I’ve seen plenty of poor college games from quarterbacks who wound up being fantastic at the next level.

Look up some of Mahomes games at Texas Tech. He lost a game 66-10 once.
He is a statue in pocket and his goto shot is long passes . We neither have the offensive line or deep throw receivers. See his goto plays.

Even mahomes majority is dink and dunk and ocassional deep throws . That's what works in NFL. Penix is someone you can try in 3rd round or second round after mid 50s. I expect him to fall to 3rd round.

I think all the change likely means new QB also. Sucks, since that really limits NE's options.
The first pick of the draft of the draft will very likely be a QB. Whether it is by CHI or the team CHI trades with shouldn't matter to us.

I think all the change likely means new QB also. Sucks, since that really limits NE's options.
I know that this might sound insane, but I would give up a 3rd and 5th round pick in 2025 for Fields if Chicago was moving on from him and taking one of the top 3 QB's in this draft. That way we can take MHJ if he's there and then the best OT in the 2nd round (or trade back into the 1st round for one). Add Pittman Jr. or Tee Higgins, and draft Xavier Leggette or some other WR the we've been missing out on drafting the last 5 plus years. Also, I would love Braelon Allen RB Wisconsin and Maason Smith DT. Cade Stover at TE would be nice too! However, some team might overpay for Fields. So be it, just as long as it's not us. Just some possibly insane thoughts.

Last edited:
He is a statue in pocket and his goto shot is long passes . We neither have the offensive line or deep throw receivers. See his goto plays.

Even mahomes majority is dink and dunk and ocassional deep throws . That's what works in NFL. Penix is someone you can try in 3rd round or second round after mid 50s. I expect him to fall to 3rd round.
How do you feel about Nix/McCarthy?

They’ve never had a quarterback with 4000 yards or 30 Touchdowns. Even scrubs can have a good season or two.

They gotta take the best QB and have him underperform.

How do you feel about Nix/McCarthy?
Mccarthy did not feel impressed. Nix I honestly did not see much .

I honestly feel we need to look at various intangibles before we select the qb .

1. How did the qb do when they had most adversity.
2. Average release time i.e time in pocket - lower the better.
3. Ability to maneuver pocket.
4. Strength of their offensive line.
5. Strength of their conference or opponents
6. Number of years that they have started.
7. Elevation of wide receivers. Like if the qb is topping charts but none of his wide receivers/ TE are in top 20 .
8. How many comeback wins.

I am not going to be worried about their GPA or ability to read defenses , but if they have a simple game plan to throw away or escape pocket and make the best percentage throw that's what we need.

Easier said than done. But I did not get any positive vibes from both the QBs in championship.

I have heard drake maye had the worst supporting cast . So I am a bit intrigued. I feel commanders and bears might not draft him due to UNC stigma. So we could possibly get lucky if he is the real deal like Herbert or stroud.

Fields turns the ball over at a league leading pace and is an "average" passer... if we're being kind.

Among qualifying QB's Fields had the 7th worst interception percentage in the league.

He was ranked 8th overall in fumbles at every position.

Why anyone would want him starting is beyond me. They'll definitely take a QB in the first.

Last edited:
Pats need to do the same, fire all offensive coaches.

After reading about the allegations against the Pats' FO/coaching staff by the Herald, I'm willing to give O'Brien & Klemm one more year.

The rest of them however - Yates, Douglas, Sunseri, Rothstein, Lawing, even Troy Brown and Especially Judge Joey - all need to Go.

Fields turns the ball over at a league leading pace and an "average" passer... if we're being kind.

Among qualifying QB's Fields had the 7th worst interception percentage in the league.

He was ranked 8th overall in fumbles at every position.

Why anyone would want him starting is beyond me. They'll definitely take a QB in the first.
He is what people say Lamar is. A running back playing the wrong position.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back