PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Hernandez: The New NFL Athlete

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSPF

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
This article mainly discusses how the Patriots moved AH to running back on some plays in response to teams not respecting him as a blocker. Yeah it's PFF, and not all that heavy in real content, but it's a decent read with a few interesting stats, notably a breakdown of how often he lined up in each position.
That kind of versatility meant that Hernandez didn’t play more than 35.5% of his 1051 snaps last season in any one position (slot), and no more than 216 snaps in any position on a specific side of the formation. He spent more than 300 snaps each in the slot, as a wide receiver on the edge of the formation, and as an in-line tight end in addition to the 78 snaps he spent in the backfield (his 58 snaps at HB plus 20 aligned at full back).
Aaron Hernandez: The New NFL Athlete | ProFootballFocus.com

but can he rush the passer?

O'Brien went to the well once too often with AHern at RB in the AFCCG, IMO. Thr first run was successful but the next two were easily diagnosed and stuffed by Baltimore's D. I hope we don't see too much of it next year because teams will have game planned for it and will know that he's running off tackle and not up the middle.

Me and the wife have been talking about how Hernandez is one of the best all around Athletes in the nfl.

The fewer snaps he takes at FB, the better off everyone will be.

O'Brien went to the well once too often with AHern at RB in the AFCCG, IMO. Thr first run was successful but the next two were easily diagnosed and stuffed by Baltimore's D. I hope we don't see too much of it next year because teams will have game planned for it and will know that he's running off tackle and not up the middle.

IIRC, he went up the middle once on Denver and got his bell rung pretty badly.

Isnt that kind of what you want to see out of a gimmick? Seems we went to it a few times and then they started giving it undue attention. Obviously it would be nice to gain 10+ on every gimmick but one like this is meant to keep teams honest as it relates to AHERN and seems like it did its job. You could argue wether the gimmick is worth getting his bell wrung but I think it had its desired effect throughout the year and playoffs.

Last edited:
The most interesting claim from the PFF article about Hernandez was perhaps the following:

He forced 23 missed tackles after the catch in 2011′s regular season, 10 more than any other TE, and half a dozen more than any receiver.

Remarkable if true, but I have no idea who compiled the stat. Football Outsiders doesn't list AHern in the top 10 for broken tackles by a WR/TE, but missed tackles are not the same as broken tackles.

What a BS article.

Hernandez looks bad at FB when he's given the ball. Who knows, maybe he can lead block from that position. Better to teach him how to block better as a TE in my opinion.

The most interesting claim from the PFF article about Hernandez was perhaps the following:

Remarkable if true, but I have no idea who compiled the stat. Football Outsiders doesn't list AHern in the top 10 for broken tackles by a WR/TE, but missed tackles are not the same as broken tackles.

And I'm pretty sure PFF also has Gronk at #2 in broken tackles by a TE, so he's better than the rest of the NFL by even more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes