Minnesota - Cordarelle Patterson
Atlanta - Julio Jones
Carolina - Kelvin Benjamin
New Orleans - Brandin Cooks/Marques Colston
Tampa Bay - Vincent Jackson
Arizona - Larry Fitzgerald/Michael Floyd
San Francisco - Anquan Boldin/Michael Crabtree
Seattle - Percy Harvin

That leaves us and the Jets, Jaguars, Kansas City, and St Louis without true deep threats but when you look at it you can argue that their receivers as a group are better than ours.

Several things.

• Cordarelle Patterson is in theory a deep threat. In reality, he is marginal receiver who rarely catches the ball.
  • Demaryius Thomas is not a deep threat with Manning because Manning doesn't throw the deep ball.
  • Aquan Boldin is a possession receiver. Crabetree isn't much more of a deep threat than Boldin. He is not that fast he is a big bodied outside receiver not a deep threat.
  • Ty Hilton had the same 40 time as Dobson
  • Steve Smith is a possession WR. I think you mean Torrey Smith.
You clearly don't know what a deep threat is because there are a lot of players you listed that clearly aren't deep threats.

Those teams all have at least 1 WR who has the speed or size to get down field and be a threat.

Colts – TY Hilton, Hakeem Nicks, Donte Moncrief
Chiefs – Dwayne Bowe
Jets – Eric Decker
Vikings – Cordarrelle Patterson, Greg Jennings
Saints – Kenny Stills, Brandin Cooks
49ers – Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree, Stevie Johnson
Rams – Brian Quick, Travis Austin, Kenny Britt

Brandon LaFell is a threat to get down field, he is not a great one but he has the size to be a threat at least.

I was responding to someone who said that virtually every team has a deep threat when I said deep threats are overrarted unless you have an elite one. Now you are changing the argument all together which is irrelevant to the actual discussion.

If you're calling ALL the guys on that list true deep threats, you're being pretty generous with the term. And, by that definition, BOTH Dobson and Thompkins could develop into the role.

Yeah, his definition is so loose for what a deep threat actually is, I was half expecting to see my name on that list.

Several things.

• Cordarelle Patterson is in theory a deep threat. In reality, he is marginal receiver who rarely catches the ball.
  • Demaryius Thomas is not a deep threat with Manning because Manning doesn't throw the deep ball.
  • Aquan Boldin is a possession receiver. Crabetree isn't much more of a deep threat than Boldin. He is not that fast he is a big bodied outside receiver not a deep threat.
  • Ty Hilton had the same 40 time as Dobson
  • Steve Smith is a possession WR. I think you mean Torrey Smith.
Patterson has so much potential but is not in the right situation, watch him flourish under Teddy, Demaryius is clearly a guy that can go downfield and get it, Crabtree can go downfield, TY literally was catching deep balls for TD's against us just a few months ago and yes i did mean Torrey Smith

Buffalo - Sammy Watkins
Miami - Mike Wallace
Baltimore - Steve Smith
Cincinnati - AJ Green
Cleveland - Josh Gordon
Pittsburgh - Antonio Brown
Houston - DeAndre Hopkins/Andre Johnson
Indianapolis - T.Y. Hilton
Tennessee - Kendall Wright
Denver - Demaryius Thomas
Oakland - James Jones
San Diego - Keenan Allen/Malcom Floyd
Dallas - Dez Bryant
Giants - Victor Cruz
Philadelphia - Jeremy Maclin
Washington - Pierre Garcon/DeSean Jackson
Detroit - Megatron
Green Bay - Jordy Nelson
Minnesota - Cordarelle Patterson
Chicago - Brandon Marshall/ Alshon Jeffrey
Atlanta - Julio Jones
Carolina - Kelvin Benjamin
New Orleans - Brandin Cooks/Marques Colston
Tampa Bay - Vincent Jackson
Arizona - Larry Fitzgerald/Michael Floyd
San Francisco - Anquan Boldin/Michael Crabtree
Seattle - Percy Harvin

That leaves us and the Jets, Jaguars, Kansas City, and St Louis without true deep threats but when you look at it you can argue that their receivers as a group are better than ours (Jets aside)

Kendall Wright? Is your definition of deep threat "a player who plays wide receiver"?

Because spinning things is what Belichick is none for. That was a pretty definitive statement he made.
All coaches spin things. Belichick has spun plenty of things, Brandon Spikes, Aaron Hernandez, Albert Haynesworth, Wes Welker, heck the guy lied to Goodell about Spygate I do not think he would have an issue misleading a reporter from the Herald.

I do not blame him either, locker room spats are supposed to be kept in house, they are not supposed to end up in the press.

I was responding to someone who said that virtually every team has a deep threat when I said deep threats are overrarted unless you have an elite one. Now you are changing the argument all together which is irrelevant to the actual discussion.
I must have misunderstood your post, my apologies.

Patterson has so much potential but is not in the right situation, watch him flourish under Teddy, Demaryius is clearly a guy that can go downfield and get it, Crabtree can go downfield, TY literally was catching deep balls for TD's against us just a few months ago and yes i did mean Torrey Smith

Right now, saying that Patterson is a deep threat is like saying the Pats had a deep threat when they had Bethel Johnson. Patterson is not a deep threat. Most of his big plays have either been runs or shorter passes where he makes plays after the catch. Sorta like Percy Harvin does who also incorrectly labeled as a deep threat.

And can go down field does not make a player a deep threat.

Kendall Wright? Is your definition of deep threat "a player who plays wide receiver"?
It is the 10.6 yards per catch average, it just screams down field...:eek:

How many Randy Mosses are there in the NFL? How many teams have a legitimate deep threats on their team?

Not many Randy Mosses, but if you're talking about deep threats, I think there are a lot of them. They are not all good. But they exist:

Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
A.J. Green
Julio Jones
Dez Bryant
Brandon Marshall
Demaryius Thomas
Andre Johnson
Vincent Jackson
Steve Smith
Reggie Wayne
Mike Wallace
Torrey Smith
Pierre Garcon
Jeremy Maclin
Desean Jackson
Josh Gordon
Michael Crabtree
Alshon Jeffrey
Keenan Allen

There are also a whole bunch of young guys drafted in the last two years who are unproven, like Dobson.

Not many Randy Mosses, but if you're talking about deep threats, I think there are a lot of them. They are not all good. But they exist:

Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
A.J. Green
Julio Jones
Dez Bryant
Brandon Marshall
Demaryius Thomas
Andre Johnson
Vincent Jackson
Steve Smith
Reggie Wayne
Mike Wallace
Torrey Smith
Pierre Garcon
Jeremy Maclin
Desean Jackson
Josh Gordon
Michael Crabtree
Alshon Jeffrey
Keenan Allen

There are also a whole bunch of young guys drafted in the last two years who are unproven, like Dobson.

Guys like Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, and Reggie Wayne aren't deep threats anymore. And many of the guys you listed are not deep threats unless you go very liberally with the term deep threat.

Guys like Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, and Reggie Wayne aren't deep threats anymore. And many of the guys you listed are not deep threats unless you go very liberally with the term deep threat.
And we don't have any guys aside from maybe Dobson to even be liberal about the term 'deep threat'

thought dobson would have a big year, boy was i wrong. 1 catch for 13 yards.
play action, quick slant to the left to either dobson/kt/lafell. mcdaniels ****ing LOVES that play.

BTW, this is what is wrong with journalism these days. In the past, you get a scoop like this, you wouldn't run with it unless you got independent verification from a second and possibly a third source. SMY ran with it after one source told her. That used to be a significant journalist crime, now you get aqn "Oh well, sometimes my sources are wrong" Tweet.

From SMY Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/shalisemyoung/status/518086757704015872
The shaking hands stuff is all well and good, but the damage has been done. There are millions of people everywhere who won't see or hear about the handshake and/or the "aw shucks, that was a mistake" reaction from SMY. And if they hear about BB 's statement they'll think he's covering up ands if he ignored it they'd believe it happened. The injustice of this type of thing has always really pissed me off. It's like when a front page headline is proven to have been false, the retraction is on page 52 and is one inch square. Millions of people will forever believe that Dobson is a disrespectful punk who sassed his coach, when in fact it likely never happened. How nice.

The shaking hands stuff is all well and good, but the damage has been done. There are millions of people everywhere who won't see or hear about the handshake and/or the "aw shucks, that was a mistake" reaction from SMY. And if they hear about BB 's statement they'll think he's covering up ands if he ignored it they'd believe it happened. The injustice of this type of thing has always really pissed me off. It's like when a front page headline is proven to have been false, the retraction is on page 52 and is one inch square. Millions of people will forever believe that Dobson is a disrespectful punk who sassed his coach, when in fact it likely never happened. How nice.
And she stands by her report, still:
shalise manza young @shalisemyoung · 1h1 hour ago
yes. RT @Capybara4444 So do you still stand by your initial report?
How do you stand by something that is completely false?

But the thing is it doesn't kill the story, it may change the direction of the story but I don't think it will kill it knowing the media nowadays. Now that Belichick made an official statement it will go one of two ways.

People think Pats are just doing damage control because it leaked out.

or

People go on about how their 2nd round WR has regressed and it's looking like another bust of a pick.

And I left the mistake of leaving the 98.5 stream running and Douche and Squeaky had already started to talk about the second thing before I turned it off.

That depends what you mean by "completely false"...
BB made a statement about it completely denying what she reported. How often has he ever made a statement on media reports? If it was true, do you think BB would have done that? She was wrong and doesn't really care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe