PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
a bit, huh?....here...take a few minutes to actually SEE who you are dealing with..

New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

Ya a closet texans fan. Although he probably has since jumped off that bandwagon.

I can't wait for the Texans and Pats game. Should be epic. Will be hard to root for any certain team though. Unfortunately, this season I think the Texans are perfectly built to beat the Pats. Strong running game and the Pats don't have anyone that can effectively hold Andre Johnson

Kinda hard not to get excited about Dobson's recent progress as a receiver. He's obviously got skills galore and the talent to be a top player at the wideout position in this league. If he can just be consistent catching the ball, the sky appears to be the limit for him.

There is a conundrum for defenses that didn't exist even during the potent offensive era. (2010/2012)

If you're a FS/deep cover safety, do you double cover Gronk on the seam route and leave Dobson 1 on 1, or double both and leave underneath picking all day?

There is a conundrum for defenses that didn't exist even during the potent offensive era. (2010/2012)

If you're a FS/deep cover safety, do you double cover Gronk on the seam route and leave Dobson 1 on 1, or double both and leave underneath picking all day?
Exactly. It's an adjustment that needed to be made, I think. There were few teams that could defend those offenses well (NYJ, NYG, BAL) but the Pats ran into them year after year in the playoffs. As long as Dobson can continue to improve and make plays outside and Gronk stays healthy, this offense is better suited for the playoffs than in years past, I believe.

I think you're being a bit too harsh, but with that said I do agree that there's a ton of homerism regarding Dobson.

The truth is that he's extremely raw. He seems to have very good upside once he relaxes (and possibly hits the JUGGS machine), but his route running etc seem to be improving, and when Belichick mentions you as improving very quickly it's always a good sign.

I do agree with you that he just drops the ball way too damn much. He even double caught a ball today again too, along with a couple of key drops. Hopefully that improves, but I highly doubt he's the reincarnation of Randy Moss, as some seem to think.

Any way you slice it, he is providing another capable young receiver here, and is adding speed to boot. The system is complex, so the best thing about it is that he seems to be getting the system pretty well so far.

My post probably did come off harsh I admit, but I've been more frustrated with that guy this season then anything. His numbers aren't bad for a rookie on paper at this point, but when you consider all of the drops and the failed routes, he only stayed on this roster due to him being on a team that had a ton of injuries and a really bad off season from management as far as getting the receiving core together. Thompkins who was undrafted had beaten him out for the position at the beginning of the season. People forget that just last week the Patriots threw for only 116 yards or whatever. The offense has been atrocious all year and Dobson has been one of the main proponents of that. They had a big scoring game today, but I'm not fooled into thinking that the offense's woes have just gone away when the last two weeks were pretty bad. Really happy to see Gronk owning guys again though. That will help spread the defenders around to make it easier for everyone to get open and should help out Dobson some.

On the plus side, he just had a big game. One thing I will say that he has done well all season long is get separation. He gets open. If he could just get better in his route running and catching abilities then he could be alright down the line maybe.

My post probably did come off harsh I admit, but I've been more frustrated with that guy this season then anything. His numbers aren't bad for a rookie on paper at this point, but when you consider all of the drops and the failed routes, he only stayed on this roster due to him being on a team that had a ton of injuries and a really bad off season from management as far as getting the receiving core together. Thompkins who was undrafted had beaten him out for the position at the beginning of the season. People forget that just last week the Patriots threw for only 116 yards or whatever. The offense has been atrocious all year and Dobson has been one of the main proponents of that. They had a big scoring game today, but I'm not fooled into thinking that the offense's woes have just gone away when the last two weeks were pretty bad. Really happy to see Gronk owning guys again though. That will help spread the defenders around to make it easier for everyone to get open and should help out Dobson some.

On the plus side, he just had a big game. One thing I will say that he has done well all season long is get separation. He gets open. If he could just get better in his route running and catching abilities then he could be alright down the line maybe.
Still being too harsh. Don't know where your bias is coming from (and I'm not saying you should be a homer calling Dobson the next Moss) but to say he has been getting separation all season long and that "he gets open" then to say if he can only improve his routes and catching that he "could be alright" later on "maybe."

In my eyes if you're getting separation, are open, and run good routes and catch the ball, you will be a pro-bowler. Dobson is a rookie adjusting to the NFL. Historically, rookies in the NFL do not carry offenses and often times contribute in stalling them. WR is such a hard position to play in the NFL and, in particular, on the Patriots with Tom Brady. Dobson is doing quite well thus far and, granted, he's been thrown in the fire more quickly than the Patriots probably hoped but he's improved and moved up the depth chart all season long. There's reason for optimism here.

And last week Dobson lead the game in receiving and caught the Patriots only TD.

HOMERISM all over this thread. Dobson has been atrocious this season. On any other team that didn't desperately need receivers he would have been cut. This is literally comical after all of the dropped balls and missed routes he has had all season.

Team don't usually cut their second round draft picks in their rookie seasons.

Seriously though if you're advocating for a rookie with 6 drops to be cut can you please let the Detroit Lions know that they have a veteran wide receiver with 5 drops and they should cut him immediately.

Somebody open a Lions cut Calvin Johnson sign the beast thread ASAP.

In all this discussion of Dobson I was surprised no one mentioned the seperation that Dobson is getting. On several pass plays where he was NOT the ultimate target, I marvelled at how open he was, if TFB had thrown to him instead. In some of these non pass attempts he was seperated from his coverage by up to ten yards, literally WIDE OPEN.

Question to all: When an incomplete throw results in a PI call, who gets the yardage? and reception? And also the target vcall? Dobson had 2 or 3 PIs called on his defender. Does that result in any yardage attributed to him? What about the Target stats? Is he dinged for an incompletion despite the penalty flag?

Despite the drops the writing was on the wall for Dobson to have some success. Dobson was consistently getting separation and Either he was out of position or Brady was over/under throwing him. I'm pretty sure everyone knew/was hoping they would get on the same page and they have. The last two weeks have been really great. 2 weeks ago significant, this week outstanding. The drops have been less and the big plays have been there. Improvement has been the key and there is no use bringing up drops when they haven't really been an issue recently. Looks like he is moving forward and so should we.

that last huge catch...he threw his hand up like moss did and made a moss like catch..looked so much like him on that play

In all this discussion of Dobson I was surprised no one mentioned the seperation that Dobson is getting. On several pass plays where he was NOT the ultimate target, I marvelled at how open he was, if TFB had thrown to him instead. In some of these non pass attempts he was seperated from his coverage by up to ten yards, literally WIDE OPEN.

Question to all: When an incomplete throw results in a PI call, who gets the yardage? and reception? And also the target vcall? Dobson had 2 or 3 PIs called on his defender. Does that result in any yardage attributed to him? What about the Target stats? Is he dinged for an incompletion despite the penalty flag?
The only yardage charged, if it's incomplete, is to the offending team. If Brady throws a pass to Gronk 25 yards down field and it falls incomplete but with a flag at that 25 yard mark, it goes as no pass, and the defense gets a penalty for 25 yards.

Dobson is 3 receptions behind the rookie wide receiver lead in receptions (a TE leads all with 38 receptions), he's 73 yards behind the rookie WR leader in yardage, and is tied for 2nd with Thompkins in rookie WR TD receptions. IF the Pats offense is truly back to elite standards, he may actually wind up the leader in all categories. He really has come on the last few games.

First 4 games

Rec Yds TDS avg
3 56 1 18.7
7 52 0 7.4
1 10 0 10.0
2 49 0 24.5

13 catches 167 yds 1td 12.8 avg

Rec Yds TDS avg
6 63 0 10.5
3 34 0 11.3
4 60 1 15.0
5 130 2 26.0

18 catches 287 yds 3tds 15.9 avg

Really coming on the last 4 games.

Whatta Game! Gronk, Amendola Ridley & Both Dobson's TDs my side of sidelines AWESOME view! I picked a perfect game to go to. Dobson is rounding into a Receiver I thought he could/would be in time. He's studying/practicing hard wants to excel and it'll payoff, skies'da limit for AD and good to have a legit receiver who can stretch and be a down field threat that has to be accounted for and make plays.

You are foolish to have such high expectations instantly from a rookie receiver, let alone learning the play book. "He could be alright down the line....maybe" ? Give me a break. He is exceeding expectations as a rookie. If you have higher expectations then you haven't seen how rookie WRs perform here.

The thing now is, gronk can consistently get open when healthy, so can amendola. Then add vereen. If these guys get consistent separation, Brady is gonna have a field day. But I bet when they go through film, they see AD with separation. When Dobson perfects his routes and him and Tom get in full sync, him, amendola, gronk and vereen can attack anywhere, anyhow and almost anytime. That would be huge playing great defenses.

You are foolish to have such high expectations instantly from a rookie receiver, let alone learning the play book. "He could be alright down the line....maybe" ? Give me a break. He is exceeding expectations as a rookie. If you have higher expectations then you haven't seen how rookie WRs perform here.

I don't think that you get the main point. The Patriots are not in a "rookie stage" mode. They are in a "win now" mode while the window is small. They're going to need a wideout to make several plays in the post season. The ones the Pats have had for years have neglected to which has caused the offense to struggle in big games. It's a lot easier to shut down the middle of the field when teams aren't having to worry to much about your wideouts and they're not stretching the defense enough. The Patriots shouldn't be putting their team's chances on a rookie in the first place especially after Tate, Ocho, Branch, and Lloyd all disappointed when it got into the big games of the post season the last few years. Dobson has flashes here and there, but they need someone more reliable to win now.

Hopefully he can get it together and become more reliable. We'll see, but his drops have been a problem all season. He has six on the season which is the 2nd most in the NFL. Guess who is tied for first? Kenbrell Thompkins is at 7. The Patriots are really going to need Vereen back and for Gronk and Dola to stay healthy after this bye week. Dobson and Thompkins have shown nice flashes, but they're drops scare the hell out of me when it comes post season time.

Look at all these bums and their dropped passes
5t Jamaal Charles KC 6
5t Eric Decker Den 6
5t Aaron Dobson NE 6
5t A.J. Green Cin 6
9t Reggie Bush Det 5
9t Julian Edelman NE 5
9t Stevie Johnson Buf 5
9t Doug Martin TB 5
9t Santana Moss Was 5
9t Mohamed Sanu Cin 5
9t Wes Welker Den 5
16t Anquan Boldin SF 4
16t Harry Douglas Atl 4
16t Arian Foster Hou 4
16t Josh Gordon Cle 4
16t Brian Hartline Mia 4
16t Vincent Jackson TB 4
16t Calvin Johnson Det 4
16t Brandon Marshall Chi 4
16t Knowshon Moreno Den 4
16t Hakeem Nicks NYG 4
16t Chris Ogbonnaya Cle 4
16t Austin Pettis StL 4
16t Steve Smith Car 4
16t Reggie Wayne Ind 4

Oh btw let's nip this in the bud. 3 or 4 of Dobson's dropped passes came in his first game of his NFL career in that wet and sloppy Thursday Night game against the jets.

The same game where his first NFL reception was a 39 yard TD.

If Dobson continues trending upwards he might be in the running for OROY

I don't think that you get the main point. The Patriots are not in a "rookie stage" mode. They are in a "win now" mode while the window is small. They're going to need a wideout to make several plays in the post season. The ones the Pats have had for years have neglected to which has caused the offense to struggle in big games. It's a lot easier to shut down the middle of the field when teams aren't having to worry to much about your wideouts and they're not stretching the defense enough. The Patriots shouldn't be putting their team's chances on a rookie in the first place especially after Tate, Ocho, Branch, and Lloyd all disappointed when it got into the big games of the post season the last few years. Dobson has flashes here and there, but they need someone more reliable to win now.

Hopefully he can get it together and become more reliable. We'll see, but his drops have been a problem all season. He has six on the season which is the 2nd most in the NFL. Guess who is tied for first? Kenbrell Thompkins is at 7. The Patriots are really going to need Vereen back and for Gronk and Dola to stay healthy after this bye week. Dobson and Thompkins have shown nice flashes, but they're drops scare the hell out of me when it comes post season time.
The Patriots win now window has been open since 2001. How is that a small window? The Patriots are 7-2, have absorbed a heap of injuries, have had key parts missing for prolonged periods of time, have fed new players into the team and are only now, starting to see the team come together. Remind me again how dire the situation has become?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes