PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that you get the main point. The Patriots are not in a "rookie stage" mode. They are in a "win now" mode while the window is small. They're going to need a wideout to make several plays in the post season. The ones the Pats have had for years have neglected to which has caused the offense to struggle in big games. It's a lot easier to shut down the middle of the field when teams aren't having to worry to much about your wideouts and they're not stretching the defense enough. The Patriots shouldn't be putting their team's chances on a rookie in the first place especially after Tate, Ocho, Branch, and Lloyd all disappointed when it got into the big games of the post season the last few years. Dobson has flashes here and there, but they need someone more reliable to win now.

The strategy is simple--build as much of a winning and competitive team year by year without sacrificing the future at the same time. In other words, while some teams are hoping for a 14-2 year and a possible SB berth this year, they also realize that they're going to be much closer to 10-6 next season due to cap implications and free agency. Many teams have shown their "win now at all costs mode." N.England doesn't do that. They are a consistent 12-4 team in every single season, give or take a game or two.

Every single year they put themselves in an opportunity to get to the tournament without making gambles and sacrifices for the future.

The one and only disagreement I would have with how Belichick handled his personnel decisions this year is that I believed that we needed ONE more veteran wide receiver, so that we didn't have to rely on THREE rookies in the same year. Normally we don't even think twice about bringing in an outside receiver during the year, but once the Hernandez and Gronk situations presented themselves in the 3rd week of June, my hope was that Belichick would have brought in another receiver at that point in time; thus giving them the entire summer to be able to get our playbook down prior to the season starting.

Of course that didn't happen (most likely for the reasons I stated above about always keeping an eye on the future in terms of draft picks and cap room), so the thinking was that we would attempt to develop one/two rookie receivers as the season progressed. We have seen Dobson make great strides in just the last month alone. If that keeps up at even a 50% rate, he can be one heck of a receiver by the time January rolls around, and that is obviously the hope of everyone.

Personally I think it's starting to become clear why belichick stuck with the rookies rather than bringing in a vet like Lloyd

While Dobson has progressed he has shown that he can be more dynamic than Lloydin the ppassing game...sure there has been growing pains but he has been progressing at a great rate and seems to finally be on the same page with Brady

When teams clog the middle to account for gronk and amendola you need to be able to beat the 1 on 1 coverage on the outside...previously Lloydand branch ccouldn't do that..so far Dobson made them pay

And he will only get better

Why doesn't Dobson seem like he's 6'3? Noticed Ashon Jeffery plays so big and he's 6'3.

Personally I think it's starting to become clear why belichick stuck with the rookies rather than bringing in a vet like Lloyd

While Dobson has progressed he has shown that he can be more dynamic than Lloydin the ppassing game...sure there has been growing pains but he has been progressing at a great rate and seems to finally be on the same page with Brady

When teams clog the middle to account for gronk and amendola you need to be able to beat the 1 on 1 coverage on the outside...previously Lloydand branch ccouldn't do that..so far Dobson made them pay

Not only that but Amendola has also now shown he can burn teams deep. when NFL defensive coordinators watch the tape of the Steelers game they've got to be thinking to themselves, well the Pats can sling it outside now, and they've got Gronk on the inside, and they've got a running game. So what the hell can I do to slow these guys down??

Why doesn't Dobson seem like he's 6'3? Noticed Ashon Jeffery plays so big and he's 6'3.

Jeffrey is fatter, not taller than Dobson.

http://grayhardison.blogspot.com/2011/08/exclusive-belly-of-beast-investigation.html

Although to his credit he has slimmed down a bit upon getting into the NFL. Gotten himself into shape. But his body is just heavier built.

Dobson looks significantly taller than the corners he plays against. I've got no reason to doubt his height.

dolphins_patriots_football-4.jpg

Combine measurements:
6'3 210

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/aaron-dobson?id=2539256

The Patriots win now window has been open since 2001. How is that a small window? The Patriots are 7-2, have absorbed a heap of injuries, have had key parts missing for prolonged periods of time, have fed new players into the team and are only now, starting to see the team come together. Remind me again how dire the situation has become?

Man, you seem completely delusional as to what has happened with this franchise in the last 8 years or so. Sure, they've had a ton of wins for a while in the regular season due to this offense being one of the best offenses of all time several seasons, but the defense has been inconsistent over the years and hasn't scared anyone. The offense has put up great numbers, but has relied on the middle of the field using TE's and slot receivers to much. When the Patriots faced a lot of solid defenses that really attacked and found an effective way to guard the center areas of the field that Brady likes, the wideouts couldn't perform when really needed. You can't keep thinking you are going to win SB's with TE's and slot guys. Sure it can happen, but with all of these great offenses it hasn't. Their defense has gotten off to a great start, but through some of the injuries I don't see them holding up as the same unit we've seen in the first 8 games. But to ignore the obstacles that this team faced in the last two seasons that reared their ugly heads in the post season is simply being disingenuous. You're just stating that because of past successes, that there shouldn't be concerns now. Those who refuse to consider history are doomed to repeat it.

Sure, they've had a ton of wins for a while in the regular season due to this offense being one of the best offenses of all time several seasons, but the defense has been inconsistent over the years and hasn't scared anyone.

We all see things differently, but what I saw was a team who won consistently over the course of the past 6-7-8 yrs; with appearances in 4 AFCCG's and 2 SB's. This was done in the middle of rebuilding many key positions, and at times with some significant losses and injuries.

I bet teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers can only sit by and wish that they could have been so insanely competitive, while successfully rebuilding their whole entire defense (aside from Wilfork). That's 10/11 players in some years that were ranked #2 and #4, #5, #6, etc in defensive scoring. That is pretty impressive when looking at 13-3, 14-2, 11-5, and 12-4 records every single year with chances at first round byes.

You can't keep thinking you are going to win SB's with TE's and slot guys.

One thing to consider is that they came pretty darn close 2 times, while holding leads through 57-58 minutes of both Super Bowls. I don't think it was out of the question to think that it could have been done...

Actually, all 4 AFCCG's since 2006 could have been won had it not been for the unfortunate injuries to Talib, Gronkowski, + the whole team illness/blown lead in 2006 at Indy.

I don't think it had as much to do with "slot guys and TE's," as it had to do with injuries and not getting good bounces that went our way. On top of that the defense crumbled in all 4 of those AFCCG's AND both SB's, giving up late, game breaking drives deep into the 4th quarter. To me, that has absolutely nothing to do with slot guys and TE's. If anything, it was more defensive meltdowns--although it is definitely arguable. It's hard to assess due to facing much better defensive competition in the postseason, but we surely saw plenty of times where our slot guys and TE's absolutely demolished top ranked defenses. Just look at the 8-10 game stretch in the second half of 2010 for proof.

Those who refuse to consider history are doomed to repeat it.

Fair enough, and your likely correct. This thinking is probably one of the reasons why they brought in younger, cheaper, faster wideouts to try and stretch the field a bit more. Guys like Branch, Llyod etc probably weren't going to get it done, and if they did they certainly weren't going to be our future.

Man, you seem completely delusional as to what has happened with this franchise in the last 8 years or so. Sure, they've had a ton of wins for a while in the regular season due to this offense being one of the best offenses of all time several seasons, but the defense has been inconsistent over the years and hasn't scared anyone. The offense has put up great numbers, but has relied on the middle of the field using TE's and slot receivers to much. When the Patriots faced a lot of solid defenses that really attacked and found an effective way to guard the center areas of the field that Brady likes, the wideouts couldn't perform when really needed. You can't keep thinking you are going to win SB's with TE's and slot guys. Sure it can happen, but with all of these great offenses it hasn't. Their defense has gotten off to a great start, but through some of the injuries I don't see them holding up as the same unit we've seen in the first 8 games. But to ignore the obstacles that this team faced in the last two seasons that reared their ugly heads in the post season is simply being disingenuous. You're just stating that because of past successes, that there shouldn't be concerns now. Those who refuse to consider history are doomed to repeat it.
I'll stick with a proven formula that puts the Patriots in contention every year with the constraints of the draft, Free Agency, injuries and the salary cap. That's not to say the Patriots can't improve in areas but geez, 31 other teams would be pretty happy to have the problem of being a perennial contender like the Patriots.

I bought his jersey in September... I consider anyone that buys it now a bandwagoner.

With him as a big time vertical threat now, not much teams can do to slow the offense down, especially with Vereen coming back.

You're just stating that because of past successes, that there shouldn't be concerns now. Those who refuse to consider history are doomed to repeat it.

I'm confused, is he considering the past (stating past successes) or not? Also, don't we want to repeat 2001-2004? :)

With him as a big time vertical threat now, not much teams can do to slow the offense down, especially with Vereen coming back.

You're way over reacting to one good game from him. Our problems aren't solved yet.

We have a guy with the "potential" sticker slapped on him. He has to keep doing it week in and week out to be a "big time vertical threat".

VJCPatriot said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by RIpats88

Not only that but Amendola has also now shown he can burn teams deep. when NFL defensive coordinators watch the tape of the Steelers game they've got to be thinking to themselves, well the Pats can sling it outside now, and they've got Gronk on the inside, and they've got a running game. So what the hell can I do to slow these guys down??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Froob

Jeffrey is fatter, not taller than Dobson.

http://grayhardison.blogspot.com/201...stigation.html

Although to his credit he has slimmed down a bit upon getting into the NFL. Gotten himself into shape. But his body is just heavier built.

Dobson looks significantly taller than the corners he plays against. I've got no reason to doubt his height.

IMAGE#1

Combine measurements:
6'3 210

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...son?id=2539256

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

have no idea what just happened, app messed up while I was clicking a link :/

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

You're way over reacting to one good game from him. Our problems aren't solved yet.

We have a guy with the "potential" sticker slapped on him. He has to keep doing it week in and week out to be a "big time vertical threat".

It's not only on dobson though. Brady has to look his way more and make accurate throws, plus the offensive line has to protect him long enough to get a pass off.

Dobson is stuck being brady's third or fourth read right now until he out performs gronk, julien, and danny.

It's not only on dobson though. Brady has to look his way more and make accurate throws, plus the offensive line has to protect him long enough to get a pass off.

Dobson is stuck being brady's third or fourth read right now until he out performs gronk, julien, and danny.

Yeah, this too.

People just need to lower their expectations, Dobson CAN and SHOULD be good, but he isn't the all-pro people are making him out to be after his first big game.

i like the way Dobson has been getting better each week but i agree Ike Taylor was looking into the back field for the run and Dobson had two steps on a 33 year old CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back