PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A uncapped year question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the benefit, if it could be done, is that you'd be able to lock guys up long-term with a ton of up-front money without having much of a cap burden after 2010, when the cap is presumably reinstated.

yeah thats basically all i was trying to get at. They could give them the dough they want frontloaded in uncapped year then their salary drops maximum allowable year after e.t.c. so hypothetically player is happy cause he is getting paid and team is happy because they keep player but don't morgage their future by handcuffing themselves in salary cap consequences in the following years

yeah thats basically all i was trying to get at. They could give them the dough they want frontloaded in uncapped year then their salary drops maximum allowable year after e.t.c. so hypothetically player is happy cause he is getting paid and team is happy because they keep player but don't morgage their future by handcuffing themselves in salary cap consequences in the following years

Yeah, not to mention that it would only be accounting. When guys get big signing bonuses, they get all the money up-front anyways, so it's not like the Pats would actually be paying out more than they're used to in that year. Looks like eom's initial impression was right, though- if the salary drops by more than 50% the following year, it's classified as a signing bonus. Thanks again for the clarification- I always figured that there must be some sort of rule in place, even if just for teams like the Chiefs this year, where they have a ton of cap space that I'm sure they'd love to push into the future with frontloaded contracts if they could.

Man, we're really lucky that we have Miguel around here.

Last edited:
Man, we're really lucky that we have Miguel around here.

damn, straight.

and to think there was a time when I didn't give a freak about contracts and salary caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes